bigdogNJ

why are guns so over price!

I live in Morris County I'm looking to buy my first hand gun my permits are in and i want something used but cheap under $250 but all i find is old junk! Ivy Johnson or 100 years old 22 revolvers looks like toy cap guns!

I don't see how old guns can cost close to the price of new gun they are not worth the metal!

I heard about a private gun dealer in the Dover Rt 46 area i heard he had good used guns at great prices but i can't seem to locate him i heard alot of cops buy off duty guns from this guy maybe someone knows who I'm talking about?

Part of it is being in NJ, there's less competition, and coincidentally, higher prices (also due to the difficulties involving our laws and all that.)

Yeah, I know the feeling though dude, because of the way I am I already have the purchase after my next one picked out (I want a real German K98k) and their prices have gone up about $50 since I first looked at them a few years ago.

Well, the range of $250 will not buy you too much in the pistol department. Guns are expensive, ammo is even more expensive. It's just the nature of it.

The only thing that might be in your budget, that i'd feel safe firing, would be Hi-Point firearms. They are really cheap but they go bang and have decent customer service.

http://www.budsgunsh...x.php/cPath/268

and s&w model 10 http://www.budsgunsh...ts_id/411545791

Also, check into Ruger Mark III & 22/45 .22LR pistols, they can be had for around 300 or so new depending on model.

I'll second the suggestion of a new HiPoint pistol.

Their .45ACP is solid as a brick (and weighs almost as much) but it is reasonably accurate and goes bang every time.

The lifetime warranty and made-in-Ohio status are real plusses.

It won't win any beauty contests, but remember, just like in life, the ugly ones need love too, and will usually go the extra mile!

Helpful Part

I have bought more than a half dozen guns for under 250. You need to shop for guns.

www.gunauction.com <--- There's a button on the left hand side for "Penny Guns" these are auctions that start at 1 cent. You can filter the results to show you only stuff under $250. Jim Flynn has a 20 ga single shot shotgun in EXCELLENT condition for $75 bucks that I have been watching for weeks and have decided I don't "need" (need is subjective of course)

I purchased a famous maker stainless steel revolver in 357 for $250, sure it was a little scratched but nothing the buffing wheel and a little bit of time didn't cure.

Another option besides HiPoint is Kel-tec.

In fact, here's an auction for a brand new Kel-Tec in your price range:

http://www.gunbroker...?Item=298689755

That same seller has a 16 ga side by side in your price range (be aware that 16 ga shells are harder to find, 12 and 20 are stock items)

Calling you out part

Another thing - it's not "over priced" if people will buy it. Maybe you're just used to buying cheap goods? If you buy a quality gun, it WILL last your lifetime and your childs lifetime and possibly another generation as well. How much did you pay for that 42" plasma in your house? Does that gun seem like a better value now, knowing that it will last "forever" and knowing that a lighting strike won't make it ready to go bye-bye on trash day? Just consider how many cars you will own during the typical lifetime of one gun. Furthermore, do you really want a $99 special to PROTECT YOUR LIFE AND YOUR FAMILY? Guns are (in general) not disposable like coffee makers, tv's, computers, lawn mowers...

Also, remember to add 40 - 60 dollars to each purchase for ffl fees and nics backgrounds checks.

If you search auctions within the state, it's pretty easy to save $$ and not pay a transfer fee though you will pay NICS if the seller is an FFL.

I think it's like anything else...supply, demand and what the market will bear.

Good old capitalism at work. Fee market economics. Guns are overpriced but then so are golf drivers. At least you can get a brand new 2008 model driver on sale for 25% of what is was new.

I don't see how old guns can cost close to the price of new gun they are not worth the metal!

Unlike most other consumer products, guns have been manufactured at a level that allows most of them to outlast their owners. IT's been that way for a really long time. Perhaps even 75-100 years.

On top of that, guns haven't changed all that much in the past 50 years. Compared to tvs, cars, phones, medical science, etc, guns have progressed at a relatively snail-like pace in terms of new developments.

So, old guns are:

1) Generally still functioning at a high level and can usually be expected to keep doing so for a long time

2) Are not "obsolete" relative to the needs of most users.

And that's before one even considers collectibility or any other x-factors that can drive up price.

Given that, there really isn't much "wrong" with old guns and have the same or higher appeal to those who buy them, so there is no real 'need' for sellers to price them significantly lower than newer weapons.

The crazy thing is is that there is no money in guns. The guns are the big initial outlay. But, on my first gun, which was close to a grand, the shop was only grossing about a 150 dollar profit. Now, that might seem like a lot. Or it might seem like they are "ripping" us off with the markup. But consider that they have to have it shipped-$. Fill out the paperwork when it arrives-$. Deal with customers that want to fondle it-$. Move it in and out of the safe-$. Pay for the building and lights/heat/air conditioning-$$$. It's really not a lot. I used to work in retail and a 15% margin means you're going out of business. The money is in ammo. Which, if you practice regularly, will FAR exceed the price of the firearm... quickly.

Me, I would say to get too cheap. Especially on your first. If you do (I've fired a Kel-Tec, yuck) you may wind up essentially throwing that $250 down the toilet as the gun will not be a lot of fun to shoot and will get sold at a loss or sit in a drawer to rot. Get something you might actually enjoy. Shop around, for both a firearm and a shop you like. Don't go the cheap route. You might find your self a hobby you enjoy.

YMMV.

C

You can get a used Glock in 9mm for $350-$400 if you shop around. Compared to what other things cost, guns have gone down in price considerably. However, they aren't made like they used to be, either. Your best bet is to buy a used gun from a private party.

One thing most big brand guns lack is craftsmanship. Todays manufacturers obsess about profit margins. You will often find that many of the older guns are higher quality than the new guns. With the quality of materials used and the old world craftsmanship many manufacturers couldn't make a profit if they made guns the way they used to. A perfect example is the injection molded tactical tupperware. Rather than pay employees to run mills, presses, and forges they injection mold and pump em out as fast as they can, then mark up the price as they market it as "tactical." Glock actually subsidizes the price of firearms they sell to police forces, that's why you see so many LEO's carrying Glocks. Subtle marketing, if they cary it then it has to be good. Actually its pure genius. Dont write off the old stuff, it may be better than you think.

One thing most big brand guns lack is craftsmanship. Todays manufacturers obsess about profit margins. You will often find that many of the older guns are higher quality than the new guns. With the quality of materials used and the old world craftsmanship many manufacturers couldn't make a profit if they made guns the way they used to. A perfect example is the injection molded tactical tupperware. Rather than pay employees to run mills, presses, and forges they injection mold and pump em out as fast as they can, then mark up the price as they market it as "tactical." Glock actually subsidizes the price of firearms they sell to police forces, that's why you see so many LEO's carrying Glocks. Subtle marketing, if they cary it then it has to be good. Actually its pure genius. Dont write off the old stuff, it may be better than you think.

I couldn't agree more....I'm in the process of trading one of those molded tactical models in for a 30 year old revolver and my 9mm is a all steel model designed also 30 years ago. I'm not discounting the build,performance and quality of the Glocks,Sigs and HKs out there but I find shooting steel guns more enjoyable. The weight,ergonomics and sheer beauty of a well built steel gun just does it for me.

Guns are one of the most expensive hobbies. Like most other things, you get what you pay for, There are a lot of low quality hand gun manufacturers out there. Dont spend $300 and be dissapointed when you could spend $500 and be very happy with your new toy. The internet can help a lot here. Research anything you would consider buying and see what other people who actually own one have to say about it. Talk to people at the range, most enthusiasts will let you take a shot or two. A good gun will last forever with basic care and cleaning and will not depreciate to no value like a car does. Its tough to get used to but once you start to budget and save for that next purchase it starts to get really fun. I have been collecting for about 20 years and I am still buying a new one every year or so.

Good Luck

Ken

Me, I would say to get too cheap. Especially on your first. If you do (I've fired a Kel-Tec, yuck) you may wind up essentially throwing that $250 down the toilet as the gun will not be a lot of fun to shoot and will get sold at a loss or sit in a drawer to rot.

:unsure: :unsure:

Save your money. 250 bucks will buy you a good amount of ammo but nothing towards a gun.

I have easily bought more than 5 guns for less than $250 a piece. One of which was a fixed sight S&W 357 Stainless Revolver. $250 can buy you a (very) good used gun but you need to shop around.

I just read through this whole thread, the OP never came back to make a comment on anyone's response/opinion to their "rant". Had a month to do so. Kinda lame.

He has not been on this site in a month. Maybe he is away. With that being said, if he does ever check back in, my advice would be to save a little more. You would be surprised how nice a used gun you can get in the $400 plus range.

I can also suggest the 45 acp Hi-Point. It shoots, does not jam, not much recoil, lifetime warranty,inexpensive but bulky and ugly. You can buy it, an extra mag, several boxes of ammo for well under $250. I also suggest a used Rossi .38 spl, they are usually in the $250 range and are good shooters. Otherwise save another $250 and get something better.