n4p226r

rail length vs barrel length

there seems to be a few different ways of doing this. assuming you have a low profile block, how far towards the end of the barrel do you like your rail to go. i was considering a 13.5" rail on a 14.5" barrel with pinned bc1.5 but not sure. so what do you use, and post pictures if you can!

I like dissipator like setups. 13.x" tubes on 16" is the right thing IMO. For a 14.5" I'd probably call the 11-12" normal length rifle tubes max.

You want enough to brave all the way up, but not so much that if you do a thumb on top wrap and point with the index finger grip you wind up with your finger on catching muzzle blast. Depending on your muzzle device it can cause you harm.

I have long arms, big hands and long fingers.

Also, if your grip and index doesn't use the whole tube, why add the weight?

There's look, and there's function. I like the looks of 15" tubes on a 16", but the function of the 13" is hard to beat, and it still looks good. With a 14.5" you bring everything 1.5" closer.

Since this is NJ and you have to pin and weld the comp no matter what I would suggest a 14.7" with a standard A2 length comp which brings the overall length to 16.1". I just ordered a 14.7" CMMG M4 barrel for my next build which will have a 12.5" Daniel Defense RIS II and an EGW A2 comp pinned and welded. The goal is to build a NJ legal version of this except the barrel will be .2" longer:

DSC03233-1.jpg

There's look, and there's function. I like the looks of 15" tubes on a 16", but the function of the 13" is hard to beat, and it still looks good. With a 14.5" you bring everything 1.5" closer.

True but while I like the look, I also like the function, Im 6'5 so a 13" rail lets me get my hand out to where Im comfortable. The weight difference is minimal, a 13" troy trx extreme rail only weighs 1.5oz more than the same 11" rail. https://spreadsheets...2DQ&output=html

True but while I like the look, I also like the function, Im 6'5 so a 13" rail lets me get my hand out to where Im comfortable. The weight difference is minimal, a 13" troy trx extreme rail only weighs 1.5oz more than the same 11" rail. https://spreadsheets...2DQ&output=html

In general, don't trust the weights in that chart. A lot of them are off.

As for the Troy, I like them, but they are not the most rigid. It's a trade off for the weight, and with other handguards, it'll cost you more in weight.

I'm about 6'6" and like the 13" tube. However a 12" rifle length is very workable, and depending on the design of the muzzle device, is the length I'd go with for a 14.5. I like my fingers.

There is another issue to consider, where do you want your front sight? I really dislike front sights mounted on handguards. First, if your handguard is not perfectly aligned, neither is your front sight. Secondly, I've seen handguards move over time, and third the whole point of a free float handguard is that it takes the stress and pressure away from the barrel .. but guess what ... it does that by bending and moving a bit, screwing with your front sight.

I've reached the conclusion that the right answer is a barrel mounted front sight, even if it isn't and actual gas block. I run a clamp on front sight in front of the handguard, even though the gas block is somewhere under it. It frees up space on top of the handguard where my thumb wants to be anyway, it isn't affected by handguard movement, and folded out of the way it kinda looks cool too.

However to make this work, you need a handguard that is not THAT long, the front sight tower needs to fit somewhere on the barrel. On a 16" barrel a 12-13" handguard works on a 14.5 with pinned comp probably you need something in 11" range.