JWGlock23

Need some help. Identify my "new" S&W revolver

When my father started as a police officer in 1980, a retiring LT gave him this S&W revolver. According to my dad, the LT was a special officer in the 50's where he originally got the revolver. My dad put a lock on it and put it in his safe where it sat, unfired by him, for 30 years. He has decided to hand it down to me as I pursue and start a career in law enforcement.

I've tried to do some research, but S&W wheel guns look the same to me for the most part so I'm at a loss.

It is a 4" barrel, adjustable rear sight, 6 shot, chambered in .38 special. I tried to get a shot of some proof marks to help us out. It's a beautiful blued finish that shines almost like a chrome finish would.

Let's see what we can come up with. I know there are some revolver gurus among you guys and I would really love to know what I have here.

8f6f078f.jpg

e699a849.jpg

71167dd4.jpg

748990ae.jpg

Is their a screw in the front of the trigger guard? If so it would be a "5 screw model" and definitly made in the 50's. I also think you have a Combat Masterpiece. Very popular police gun in the 50's Also the lack of model # in the crane also indicates 1950's

Thanks guys. It's def a piece of LEO history, and a very well maintained one at that. It's nice to have it handed down to me from my dad in the same fashion that it was given to him. (although, he didn't have to bic his head every morning baha).

I know they are made well, and I'm hoping one day I can hand it down to my kid.

Vortex & Ray Ray have it right. It is a pre-Model 15, also known as the Combat Masterpiece. The lack of a model number under the crane indicates that it is pre-1957. It is equipped with diamond maga grips that, if original (they are original to the time period) to the gun, should be serial numbered on the back the same as the gun.

@scarecrow - There is no screw at the top of the sideplate, so it couldn't be a 5-screw

Nice vintage Smith. Cherish it especially for where it came from.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

PS: look on the butt and PM me with the serial and I may be able to give you the appx year of manufacture.

Anyone have any tips on cleaning her up alittle bit? I dont want to go full restore, as the gun has character, and that is one of the allures of it. But I do not like dirty guns ((not talking lead build up dirty, more pitting and scratches dirty)) and if I could get it to a really nice polish and shine I think it would look even better. There is somthing about the finish of the gun, not seen in the pictures, that is screaming for a shine.

Josh:

From the serial number you sent me this gun would have been made in 1957 - just before they started stamping them with model numbers.

Usual cleaning materials apply (Hoppe's 9 for the bore and cylindrer). A good grade of gun oil. If you have any light pitting 0000 steel wool and some CLP - gently. After it's clean (or maybe even as an alternate remedy for light surface flaws) try this...

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=renaissance+wax&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=1099563701&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=61954930377595176&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&ref=pd_sl_7jds3zjyc7_e

Enjoy.

Adios,

Pizza Bob