Sign in to follow this  
MosinRob

Black horn 209 loads

Good thing you didn't hold yer breath waiting for a reply!

I'm Mr. Black Powder, so I don't know much about the Subs. I can tell you this though--yer better-off with loose granular subs than pellets! Somewhere between 80-100 grains is generally considered a good hunting load. I'd start @ 80 grains and work the load up in 5 grain increments, being careful to note the extreme spread of the groups. Once your groups open-up, back-down on the powder charge a little to tighten it back up. This is of course with a clean barrel each time, so you won't be mis-lead by plastic fouling from the sabots in the grooves of the rifling........

If you ever want to try real black powder or a side-hammer gun that can cut a playing card in half sideways, just look me up or send me a PM and we'll make it happen.

Take care,

Dave

Hey Dave. Thanks for the insight. I'm actually in the process of buying my first side hammer guns. A tca .45/.36 cherokee, and a .58 navy arms. Maybe once I pick them up we can talk more about it as I'm a freshman on these types of rifles.

Sounds good to me!

Just to let you know I'm also a member of the Garden State Black Powder Association. We shoot at a Farm off of Rt. 94 in Vernon Twp. in Sussex County on the last Sundays of the month. This month I'll be running the Club's Pistol Shoot. It will be Steel and Paper.

You don't have to wait to buy a gun to get some smoke on yer face ya know! Come out to the Farm or down to Old Bridge (OB is this Sunday) and start enjoying the hobby.

Stay in touch and have a great weekend! I'll be making smoke @ OB this Sunday.......gate's wide open and there's no charge to come and watch!

Dave

Dave, I will actually be shooting at ob this weekend too. A guy I met on gunboards invited me. So I'll See you there.

Steel, Shotgun and Black Powder Leagues all start @ 09:00 hrs. on Sunday. I'll most likely be doing black powder. I'll be the short guy wearing two revolvers, lol!

See ya then!

Dave

I used blackhorn for the first time last season. I liked it but didnt experiment too much with it.

I use 80gr of blackhorn behind my sabot and sighted my omega in at 75 yards.i hunt thick stuiff so shots are usually not far. average has been 35-45 yards.

I know a lot of guys use 100-150gr loads but honestly think its a waste. using 240grain all lead bullet and getting an entrance and exit on deer sized game.

if the time comes where I may have shots in open fields than I may increase the load and experiment more.

Nick

The guy im going with is Ed. He says he goes to them a lot. You probably know him. By the way, i got the Cherokee tonight!

If you want to, bring the Cherokee and I'll give it a look-see and recommend a load for it. Hope to meet you in the AM tomorrow!

Bring WATER with you!

DAve