Sign in to follow this  
greatgunstatenj

Moose hunting

Never been to Newfoundland, but when I was in New Brunswick (that would be Canada, not NJ) I was talking to the locals, and they said Newfoundland is crawling with them and you are virtually guaranteed to shoot one there.

You may may want to bring a Newfee - English dictionary, those people are hard to understand sometimes. :)

In Newfoundland/Labrador, you must use a guide, so you can't DIY. I can give you the name of a guide if you draw in Maine that has a good success rate and they run a top-notch camp. Don't forget Newfoundland has the hunting regulation found in most northern regions: "Any animal wounded and lost in the process of the hunt, is owned by the hunter and the hunt for that animal is over." Wounded or dead, it is yours!

My buddy has hunted Newfoundland for caribou, but not moose. For moose, he went to Alaska last fall:

Ed-Alaskamoose.jpg

I've noticed a few of the guides have that clause on their website "Any animal wounded and lost in the process of the hunt, is owned by the hunter and the hunt for that animal is over." That leads me to wonder how large a percentage of their 95-100% success rate is made up of moose that are wounded and never recovered.

That's an awesome moose your buddy got.

I have been moose hunting several times. It is almost a 100% success rate and really not that fun of a hunt. You are almost guranteed a moose and dont have to try much. Sit in a corner of a clear cut and call "here moose, here moose" and the will come. :laugh:

I've noticed a few of the guides have that clause on their website "Any animal wounded and lost in the process of the hunt, is owned by the hunter and the hunt for that animal is over." That leads me to wonder how large a percentage of their 95-100% success rate is made up of moose that are wounded and never recovered.

That's an awesome moose your buddy got.

Alaska has the same law. That's why Ted Nugent got fined for a hunt he took in 2009.

http://articles.cnn....l?_s=PM:JUSTICE

My buddy made a "bucket list" some years ago and has been pursuing it with gusto.