Picked up a Sig 522 rifle on Saturday. What a blast to shoot.

Seems like a really great gun and I'm looking forward to using it at OBRAMs type events, or if nothing else, plinking in the pits at my range.

Does anyone know where I might find extra magazines for this type of rifle? It's my first and I'm a clueless noob.

It's a real sweet gun.

I probably have about 5,000 rounds through mine.

Does not need a lot of cleaning.

Clean every 1,000 + rounds and throw in some oil in between.

Stay away from the Remington golden bullets in the green and yellow boxes.

They really foul the gun up.

I had a red dot on mine but went to the iron sights after I put the red dot

on another gun. It's just as good to shoot with the iron sights as with the red dot so I'm sticking with the iron sights.

This is the red dot.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001BQZSZ4/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

I've shot tons of the 22 ammo with it

and about 400 rounds of 223 ammo with Stag Arms model 8.

Have the red dot for over a year and still has the same battery.

Once it's sighted in I never had to readjust it.

Dot it sharp. Can't beat the price.

A friend of mine has a much more expensive red dot and he likes mine better.

I put on this riser and was able to use the iron sights without taking off the red dot.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003TWX8HS/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

It's a real sweet gun.

I'm having a ball with it. The first thing I did was field strip it. lol. Love the simplicity.

It came with a browning reticle on it, but it doesn't sit high enough in my opinion and sometimes the front sight gets in the way. I'm going to order that riser and see if it doesn't help. I'd like to be able to use both the iron sights and the reticle. My kid told me to mount it sideways on the barrel, but I think he did that just to see if I would so that he could make fun of me. lol

Blackdog mags work in the Sig.

http://blackdogmachi...22PRODUCTS.aspx

Thanks again for the reference. I was able to use them this weekend. They only accepted 14 rounds but no biggie. If it becomes an issue I'll take it up with blackdog. Otherwise they performed fine.

Do you know if they fit into a standard AR15 type magazine pouch? I'm going to need that too. lol

I also ordered the riser that MP123 suggested, a sling and a foregrip. Totally tactikewl.

you should adopt my son

he wants to trick out the 522

It's funny.

My oldest son, the shooter, is 15. His taste is for the traditional wood guns, and revolvers. We just got a Henry Lever action for him to use. I was going to put a red dot on it just to piss him off. lol

Meanwhille I like all the tactical semi auto stuff, tricked out to the hilt.

You'd think the kid would go all Black Ops and the old man for the six shooter, but it's the other way around.

The only thing we agree on are shot guns where be both prefer wood and steel.

I got a Blackhawk 1.5" sling. It should be fine for my use.

I put on this riser and was able to use the iron sights without taking off the red dot.

http://www.amazon.co...ils_o01_s00_i00

My riser arrived today and I just finished putting it all together.

I can't speak for your experience, but I can't view the iron sights through the riser, and the riser puts my reticle so high I can't really "cheek" the gun properly.

I'm going to sight it in with the rise and use it in Old Bridge on Friday and see how I do.

before: SV400024-2.jpg

after: SV400025-4.jpg

I own both the M&P 15 22, and the Sig 522. Love them both. Shoot the M&P more, but the Sig IMO is the more sturdy made of the two. The Sig will shoot most ammunition, the M&P is more selective.

That's funny I was told the opposite about the selectivity of ammo.. Most of M&P owner I asked said that it cycled any kind of ammo.

Were as the 522 owner said that it was a little finicky of ammo selection..

I am probably going to buy the sig anyway.. I can't wait!

L&H in Wall has one sitting on the rack. If you listen you can hear it calling out your name. Listen.....sonnylee...come buy me.

Lol! Thanks, I'll go check it out. Is it the same as yours? I was interested in a quad forend..

Vince

Can you dry fire the 522? Let's throw in the 15-22 while we're at it.

I've been debating between these two for a while. One of these

days...

One more question: Does the trigger on the 522 pull straight back?

Or does it have a bit of a curve/angle to it?

Lol! Thanks, I'll go check it out. Is it the same as yours? I was interested in a quad forend..

Vince

Yeah, same gun. It comes with the rails in the box. It took a few minutes to put them on. The foregrip was an option. The one shown is a cheapo 10 dollar version I got off Amazon. I've since removed it and have it sitting in my safe.

My concern is on the 522, I heard it does not lock back so if you're not counting your

rounds you might dry fire on accident. That would be a major concern for me.

On my Kimber 22 conversion you can dry fire all day without damage to the unit.

I only buy 22lr pistol/rifle that are capable of dry fire without damage. Between relying on a bolt hold-open, a light primer strike on bulk ammo, or the kids to remember, its just one more thing that I don't want to deal with. Any quality 22lr should be able to be dry fired, just like all my centerfires.

My concern is on the 522, I heard it does not lock back so if you're not counting your

rounds you might dry fire on accident. That would be a major concern for me.

On my Kimber 22 conversion you can dry fire all day without damage to the unit.

Correct, and I would prefer it lock back on last round. For what ever it's worth all of my magazines are lock back on last round but a person could buy them without that feature.

I'm not worried about an occasional dry fire, and even if it did happen (as you suggest) there would be a spent round in the chamber that could absorb some of the action, right?.

Does Kimber recommend dry firing their practice kit? All I see on their website is that they say its safe to dry fire centerfire.

From Kimbers website....

Can I dry-fire my pistol?

It is safe to dry-fire our centerfire pistols

I only buy 22lr pistol/rifle that are capable of dry fire without damage. Between relying on a bolt hold-open, a light primer strike on bulk ammo, or the kids to remember, its just one more thing that I don't want to deal with. Any quality 22lr should be able to be dry fired, just like all my centerfires.

Which mfgs of .22's recommend dry firing?

Ruger said yes.

Smith & Wesson no. http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Category4_750001_750051_757815_-1_757814_757812_image#2

Kimber says only centerfire.

Beretta does not recommend it and recommends a snap cap. http://berettausa.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/86/kw/dry%20fire