John Boy

Clarification ... Issuance of Handgun Permits

Lavallette Borough: Discussion with a Lavallete resident whose experience was when he applied for a FID Change of Address and 2 Handgun Permits

Everything came through and the handgun permits were not signed off by the chief.

Officer Greenhaligh says "when you know what you are getting then get them signed"

Question: Can the local Chief of Police legally apply the issuance of handgun permits in this manner?

Background:

* My experience for 8 handgun permits issued through the NJ State Police because the municipality has no local police force ... when I was told the Handgun Permits were ready for pickup, they were dated and signed by State Police

* Experience of a fellow gun owner: Bloomfield Police Dept issued the permits dated and signed - again no provision ... ""when you know what you are getting then get them signed"

As the Word Turns ... 10 minutes after I made the post, my friend received a telephone call from the Lavallette Police Chief after leaving several voice mails:

re: "Officer Greenhaligh says "when you know what you are getting then get them signed"

* The Chief said this is not true. Dated - Signed and issued.

Either policy has changed or Officer Greenhaligh was totally out of order

Need for issuance claification - Closed.

Thanks gents for your replies

I see this was resolved, but I was thinking of something. Do you think the officer was actually trying to help you out, meaning not to provide a permit issue date until you had time to look around and see what you wanted? This way you weren't wasting time off permits that were already issued and dated. I doubt that was the case, but figured I'd throw it out there. Who knows.

I see this was resolved, but I was thinking of something. Do you think the officer was actually trying to help you out, meaning not to provide a permit issue date until you had time to look around and see what you wanted? This way you weren't wasting time off permits that were already issued and dated. I doubt that was the case, but figured I'd throw it out there. Who knows.

When I read the OP, that is how I read it. IDK for sure because lets face it some PDs are shady when it comes to permits and fids.

This hadn't dawned on me. It really depends on how the permit was filled out. It may have had an issue date, but not a sig on it. Seems a weird thing to do. Maybe just a foul up.