Scott204

Anyone ever Root their cell phone??

Ive rooted both my OG droids and my Bionic. Its worth it if you intend on using the features you will able to unlock with it. I've run plenty of roms and themes, OC'd kernels etc. There's a lot of customization to be had and the sense of freedom that comes with it. If I may ask... what phone?

Most one click root methods make it really easy nowadays instead of doing it the old fashion way. Either way, the best advice is to read the instructions AHEAD of time and go step by step whilst rooting. Phones dont magically brick while properly following an established root method. 99.9% of the time it is user error that destroys a phone.

I jailbreak iPhones/iPads. I like it for a few things jail breaking allowes. Like theams, tethering and a few others. Like app killers and modding colors. Here som pic' of my iPhone

Here is my lock screen

49a6800d.jpg

Hat my apps look like

0befef4d.jpg

I've changed my music player skin

e1728644.jpg

Skinned my keyboard to look like the MacBook pro

ad308c8e.jpg

Nd can change colors of notification center

e2fbc725.jpg

There are so many tweaks I can't name them all. I would start off reading online, sing up in a forum that has a lot of info on rooting and tweaks.

What kind of phone you have and what operating system you are running? I could find a few places that might help you out.

I rooted an old GPS unit that was running a windows mobile o/s. Learned a lot doing it but I tend to get more entertainment/satisfaction from rooting and hacking then from the actual use of the modified piece of electronics.

I rooted my Android Motorola Razr Maxx a few weeks ago. I rooted it because I wanted to use Titanium Backup to freeze the OTA updates from occurring for ICS. I prefer Gingerbread and didn't want ICS to be applied. It worked perfectly, although I was nervous doing it. Let me know if you need more info.

Yep, definitely worthwhile. I root all of my Android devices. Gives you complete control over what to do with the platform (as it should since it's YOUR hardware!). In addition to all of the cool apps you can then install and use, i.e. tethering, backup, and endless other "tweaks", you are also get a choice of your favorite ROMs to run. Maybe nice open source ones out there that get rid of the bloat that usually comes preloaded on phones from your service provider.

Like someone else mentioned, xda-developers forum is the place to get the latest and greatest bits and info.