Hey guys. I've been browsing the threads, and while I'm up to date on a lot of Nj gun laws, I'm new enough to the forum that I'm not up on alot of the lingo and I'm having a little trouble finding an answer in the threads.

Private handgun sales between two legal Nj gun owners still requires an ffl to handle the transfer correct? I know long guns don't require it, but I have yet to actually do a handgun transaction to someone other than a dealer.

Wow all this time I thought I had to use a shop to handle a transfer. So much for relying on my local pd and dealer for info

Your local dealer wants the transfer fee. :)

You will fill out the bottom left area of the buyer's P2P form (bottom center is when you go through an FFL). Make sure that he has a valid ID. I always check to see that the address on the license matches the one on the permit, but I have heard varying reports as to the necessity of that.

Just to clarify for you- the ID is the FID card(sometimes called FPID) issued by the cop shop.

Not so. I want a picture ID. The possession of the P2P already shows they are not a prohibited person. You do not need an FPID to purchase a handgun. You want to check a valid picture ID to insure the person presenting the P2P is the person named on it.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

• Like 1

Not so. I want a picture ID. The possession of the P2P already shows they are not a prohibited person. You do not need an FPID to purchase a handgun. You want to check a valid picture ID to insure the person presenting the P2P is the person named on it.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Thanx for fixing that, brain fart on me thinking long guns.

And they DO check your paper work and quickly. Me and another board member had a private transaction and I wrote a wrong character for the serial number. I got a call about a week later asking me to verify and sure enough I screwed it up. They were very nice about it, and were just checking so they could update their records.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

I have a few for sale in the hopper now. Someone expressed interest in buying a handgun but mentioned they recently purchased an handgun and want to know if private sales still had to wait 30 days?

I believe they do but how to I confirm I am not selling it to him to soon? I do not know the exact date he last purchased. I may ask to see his copy of the recent P2P but if he never mentioned it I would not have known?

Who gets in trouble if it is less then 30 days?

I have a few for sale in the hopper now. Someone expressed interest in buying a handgun but mentioned they recently purchased an handgun and want to know if private sales still had to wait 30 days?

I believe they do but how to I confirm I am not selling it to him to soon? I do not know the exact date he last purchased. I may ask to see his copy of the recent P2P but if he never mentioned it I would not have known?

Who gets in trouble if it is less then 30 days?

You get in trouble if KNOWINGLY sell to someone within 30 days. Buyer gets in trouble whether you know or not.

So not that I "know" her recently purchased a handgun. He "Must" show me the copy of the recent p2p?

That is the only way I can be certain or not sell until 30 days from now.

If you are reasonably certain they bought a handgun within 30 days you can't sell to them. If you don't know or are reasonably uncertain then you can sell. It is the buyer's responsibility.

If I buy a handgun from FFL A and then go back week later to buy another handgun from FFL A, both FFL A and I would get in trouble. Me because I violated OGAM and FFL A because they knowingly sold to me within 30 days 2 handguns.

If I buy a handgun from FFL A and then go back week later to buy another handgun from FFL B, only I would get in trouble. Me because I violated OGAM. FFL B is not culpable because they didn't know.

Hey guy,

I've been following this thread and I am curious as to how the law applies if you want to sell through an auction site with a pistol firearm and ammo.

I know that it requires an FFL dealer to transfer the firearm to the winning bidder, but am I legally able to sell on a auction site such as gunbroker? Also is the sale if ammo legal on the auction site?

Just want to know before I list.

Thanks

Vince

Hey guy,

I've been following this thread and I am curious as to how the law applies if you want to sell through an auction site with a pistol firearm and ammo.

I know that it requires an FFL dealer to transfer the firearm to the winning bidder, but am I legally able to sell on a auction site such as gunbroker? Also is the sale if ammo legal on the auction site?

Just want to know before I list.

Thanks

Vince

Yes you can legally sell on Gunbroker. But as Harry said, list it here first. It will probably sell quicker and you don't have to pay a fee like on GB.

Why don't you just list what you have here, a lot of post selling don't last but a day if not down to a few minutes or less and you know it will go to a good home with the people that are here..

I'm thinking of doing that as well but it it doesn't sell I'll have to list it anyway so I would want to know how the law applies.

I'm thinking of doing that as well but it it doesn't sell I'll have to list it anyway so I would want to know how the law applies.

Understand, but remember a Face to Face transaction eliminates a FFL, so the buyer doesn't need to add coin to the sale for the NICS and transfer fee's, in addition, you save coin by not having to ship it, both you and the buyer save money so the total coin in your pocket is more and out of theirs is less theoretically speaking.. So is that Good or Good..

If you are reasonably certain they bought a handgun within 30 days you can't sell to them. If you don't know or are reasonably uncertain then you can sell. It is the buyer's responsibility.

If I buy a handgun from FFL A and then go back week later to buy another handgun from FFL A, both FFL A and I would get in trouble. Me because I violated OGAM and FFL A because they knowingly sold to me within 30 days 2 handguns.

If I buy a handgun from FFL A and then go back week later to buy another handgun from FFL B, only I would get in trouble. Me because I violated OGAM. FFL B is not culpable because they didn't know.

Not true...FFL B is supposed to ask, and some will even have you sign something to the effect that you have not purchased in the last 30 days...just saying