antimatter

permits are in - 1911 shopping begins!

Anyway I have both a Rock Island (lower cost) and The S&W performance center (mid level cost)

Not to be a nitpicker (all right, I am a nitpicker) I would hardly call a Performance Center 1911 a "mid-level" gun since the MSRP on the PC 1911's is north of $2K. The Pro Series could be deemed mid-level. Just sayin'

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I own a colt rail gun and a springfield emp, both are great shooters.

You would be hard pressed to find an EMP for under a grand. I got mine for a steal @ $950 a few years ago, but I haven't found another one NIB for that price.

P1060415.jpg

:-)

TheWombat

Now Wombat, if you got your Ed Brown Kobra Carry for under a grand, I'd demand to see a receipt! Then I would offer you what you had in it. :maninlove: Love that gun!

You would be hard pressed to find an EMP for under a grand. I got mine for a steal @ $950 a few years ago, but I haven't found another one NIB for that price.

You are right about the price of both my 1911s. wish I could've found an EMP for that price. but the OP said "trying". I was trying to keep my purchases under a grand too, but when you fall in love with a 1911 you gotta have it. Why settle for something you feel just "ok" about? Even if you gotta spend a couple hundred more than you originally wanted, it's well worth it in the end to have what you want instead of settling for something you don't. just my .02.

And to the OP, I hope you realize what you are getting yourself into by buying a 1911. you can never have "just one". I wanted "just one" and 3 months after the Rail Gun came the EMP. I'm not sure whats next, possibly a Browning Hi-Power, but I definitely see more 1911s in my future.

Not to be a nitpicker (all right, I am a nitpicker) I would hardly call a Performance Center 1911 a "mid-level" gun since the MSRP on the PC 1911's is north of $2K. The Pro Series could be deemed mid-level. Just sayin' Adios, Pizza Bob

Hola Pizza Bob,

I agree that of all the current S&W 1911's, the performance center is the more expensive one. Mine has the melonite coating so I think MSRP was in the $2200-2300 range. However no one pays MSRP unless they really,really, want something. Mine was $1850 otd. I have seen slightly used ones for $1300-$1600 and missed a really nice one for $1200.

Anyway my point is of all the 1911's avalible, that the $1850 price range (IMVHO of course) is mid-level. Especially when compared to (but not limited to) some of the offerings avalible from Wilson Combat, Nighthawk, and even some of Downtown Eddie Brown's stuff can reach $4000+

Not trying to argue, just presenting evidence for my case is all. Feel free to dissect it if you want, no hard feelings.

hasta que hablemos otra vez, Scott ;)

I'll go in a little different direction here... I've had a few Taurus 1911's go thru my classes and I have to admit they've run pretty well. No question, you get what you pay for, they have some rough spots and the finish isn't great but, if you're just looking for a casual plinker and the round count is going to stay fairly low, I'd give one a look.

Now, if your plan is to run it hard, put lots of rounds thru it, I think I'd look elsewhere, long term durability may not make you happy.

so, i was at shore shot yesterday and handled a couple 1911's; they had a Magnum Research, a Taurus, a colt and some others out of my price range. I have to say the MR Eagle was hands down the most solid feeling out of them all - but it was the C model with the shorter barrel. I want the full size. The colt was really nice too, and the particular Taurus was just not a nice piece. it was the one with the aluminum bottom and blued top or parkerized? but it was very cheap feeling. and seemed to almost have some rust on it. I have held some nice ones in the past, but this one did not do that company any justice. I am hoping that SS gets the Full G-size model in or i may just order from Gallery of Guns. Still want to check out the Remington and the STI up at Lou's.

if you're on a budget and would like a cheap, reliable, decent quality 1911, check out the Rock Island Armory stuff.

No

If you're on a budget. Save your money and buy a quality 1911 that you would be proud to pass down to your children and grand children. Rock Island Armory stuff is okay, at best.

No

If you're on a budget. Save your money and buy a quality 1911 that you would be proud to pass down to your children and grand children. Rock Island Armory stuff is okay, at best.

So if you do not have kids, get the Rock Island. You will not have to worry about passing down the burden of shame of owning one, and the money you save can be spent on ammo.

I would either start with a base gun like the Springfield Armory mil-spec, or if you have a bit more, the Colt reproduction Series 70.

If you have more money to spend, definitely look at a Wilson Combat, or something from the Springfield Custom Shop.

I view most of those production "custom" 1911s as just a compromise, and unfortunately, very few of these companies do it right due to cost cutting, poor fitting, etc.

Lot of gun for the money : Les Baer Custom - Premier II. Mine is real nice, handles very well, deep bluing and shoots great. IMO LBC is the best value in 1911s, very close to the next higher 1911 tier.

Go to a certain 1911 forum and they a have a dedicated LB section where you can get all the specifics.

So got the call today and it took shorter than i thought! so now begins the task of zeroing in on a 1911. my short list is kimber, magnum research, Springfield and taurus. who else should i check out?

i am trying to keep it under a grand.

I bought a Colt 1911 last year. XSE model. Felt great in my hand, and I wanted a Colt, and that was that. When I shot it for the first time, all of a sudden that great feel was no longer so good. It was very uncomfortable. Ended up changing the grips, and mainspring housing, so it fit better in my hand.

Point is, how things feel in the shop, may not be how it feels come trigger time.

Just my $0.02, your mileage may vary...........

Lot of gun for the money : Les Baer Custom - Premier II. Mine is real nice, handles very well, deep bluing and shoots great. IMO LBC is the best value in 1911s, very close to the next higher 1911 tier.

Go to a certain 1911 forum and they a have a dedicated LB section where you can get all the specifics.

Apparently you did not read the op's thread... recommending a 2000.+ gun.. or you are just trolling for the 1911 forum..

I have 2 currently. American Classic commander best bang/Buck IMO for a 500 gun fit/finish great. Accurate great trigger. Also SW E Series, also great gun. Has a lot of features for the buck also. Had a loaded Springfield just spent to much time in the shop. Had to sell it. All said to each his own. Good luck.