xshawnxearthx

Buying just one(for now), and need help with my OCD!

Just received my permits and I'm ready to purchase. After spending about an hour in a local shop dry firing and getting a feel for what fits my hands best, I've narrowed it down to the following.

Glock 17

Glock 21

Springfield XD/XDM 9mm

Springfield XD/XDM .45

Beretta 92sf

I tried a plethora of others.

M&P 9mm/.45(felt cheap)

FNP-9(felt really cheap)

Sig Sauer p226(just for shits and giggles, can't even afford used).

Bunch of 1911's(really not my thing)

Glock 19(grip just too small)

XDM(compact and mid sized, not into them)

The guy just start bringing out guns so I lost track of everything and of course, can't remember all of them.

I'd still like to try a Walther PPQ but have to go to a different store for that. Was planning today but as of right now I'm stuck home with my little guy.

Main reason for the firearm is home defense. I'd like to only have to buy ONE hand gun. I plan to try and get to the range and take a few courses(nra beginner/defensive) and get myself proficient with the pistol so that if the time comes, I can handle the situation without any doubt. I'd like to go and try them out before hand, and I KNOW that is what everyone is going to say to do, but I'm just looking for some caliber feedbacks. I KNOW I will be ok with any of those full size pistols, it's just a matter of caliber. Obviously there is a big debate about 9mm vs .45 and 9mm being cheaper to shoot. Is a .45 going to be that much more badass of a round?

First of all good luck with that "ONE" gun thing....you'll soon learn that guns are like peanuts....well you know the rest.

I vote for the Beretta simply because of the weight,craftsmanship and performance but they are all good choices.

As to the 9mm verses .45 question? I'll leave that one for the experts.

M&P felt cheap huh?

Your list of narrowed down pistols includes ones your other list says you dont like. I dont understand...

9mm is perfectly fine for HD, you can read a lot of different opinions on that. When you say cheap is that because it is polymer? You may want to purchase an all metal gun if you want something heavier/more solid.

Hey Xshawn, I was just like you, saying I only needed/buying one. I bought one in February, now I am waiting on 3 permits so I could buy me 3 more lol. Its really hard to just stay with one. Below are my choices...

Have: Beretta PX4 .40- Love it, no failures so far.

Will get with;

Permit 1: Beretta 90-Two .40

Permit 2: Walther PPQ 9mm

Permit 3: ????

good luck with whatever YOU choose.

I would go for the G21 gen 4 slim frame. Avoid the hollowpoints in NJ & go for the big 45ACP

I must disagree. Regardless of what caliber you choose,I would still opt for a hollow point round for HD if for nothing else but to reduce over penetration and the chance of hitting a neighbor.

I do believe that you are the first person anywhere, ever, who said that the grip on a Glock 17 felt small.

Fixed. The 17 was perfect, 19 felt just too small.

M&P felt cheap huh?

Your list of narrowed down pistols includes ones your other list says you dont like. I dont understand...

9mm is perfectly fine for HD, you can read a lot of different opinions on that. When you say cheap is that because it is polymer? You may want to purchase an all metal gun if you want something heavier/more solid.

Yes, I felt like it was a toy compared to the solid feeling glock and xd/xdm. Just didn't feel right. The FNP-9 may have been a bad one, but it just felt loose and not well put together. I'm sure they are both great guns, but I wasn't feeling them.

The glock/xd's that I didn't like were due to size. I just couldn't get a feel for the compact or subcompact.

Well you get 10 rounds on the G17 vs 13 on the G21 in NJ.

And you don't like the G19 small grip...

I can go to Arms n Ammo and get a g17 w/ 15 rounds, so I'm not too concerned about mag capacity.

I should have chose a better description. the g19 was too short. It didn't feel comfortable due to the length of the grip. My fingers were JUST A LITTLE too cramped. Another 1/4 of an inch and I would have been GTG.

Also, not sure if it matters, I'm 6'6", 296lbs.

All seem too be great choices. I'd recommend you try out a Walther PPQ. They can be a bit difficult to come across in gun shops, but if you see one I'd recommend at least holding it. Very comfortable.

EDIT: Just came across this

. Good points are raised and I promise it'd be worth your time.

EDIT 2: Here's a

when pistol calibers are being debated. It's one of the sources that led me to buy my 9mm.

IMHO, take a second look at the Beretta 92FS. Simple reason why: you get 15 rounds of 9mm instead of 10 with the Glock 17. Only in New Jersey does a Compact Glock 19 hold more than a full-size Glock 17.

The Glock 21 will not be a bad choice either. Yes, .45 ammo is expensive, but you can also get an Advantage Arms conversion kit and shoot .22LR for a lot less money.

I was able to find a police turn-in Sig P226 9mm for the same price as the others on your list. You have to ask yourself if you want new vs used, but they are out there.

A friend has the Beretta and it felt and fired pretty good too.

Finally, I think you can get/find mags for the G17 with 15 rounds.

EDIT: Just came across this

. Good points are raised and I promise it'd be worth your time.

You can skydive with your Glock, go swimming with your Glock, bury your Glock & a million years later some archaeological space alien will find it in perfect condition & fires off a few rounds for amusement....

And darn it, take a look at the PX4 as well. It's a full-sized gun and Beretta makes 15 round magazines for them.

The px4 was another one I tried. Wasn't bad, but didn't call my name when I pulled the slide back like the few others did. THe Beretta felt really awesome as far has how smooth the slide was. Just felt good, even the double action pull wasn't bad. I wasn't sure if I would like it, but it was nice.

I was able to find a police turn-in Sig P226 9mm for the same price as the others on your list. You have to ask yourself if you want new vs used, but they are out there.

A friend has the Beretta and it felt and fired pretty good too.

Finally, I think you can get/find mags for the G17 with 15 rounds.

The p226 I felt up was a used police turn in. I don't know how they are supposed to feel as far as all their levers, but it just didn't grab me.

You won't know what you like until you shoot it. I despised everything about Glocks but once I shot it I was in love. Tried about 10 different guns and the ones that I liked best at the counter were some of the ones that I hated once I shot them.

Still want a 1911 I just can shoot them at all...long story short go shoot a bunch before putting down your money. It's worth the $100 bucks to rent a few on your short list.

I'm a 92FS owner (9mm and the .22 practice kit) and am very happy.

It's a great gun, quality goes without saying, US Military, blah blah blah, and everything else everyone else has said about it. It's a great gun. The ONLY thing I'm not thrilled with is that it's for right handed shooters, and I'm a lefty. I'm training myself to shoot righty.

The PX4 is on my short list, and I'm interested to read that you can get 15 round Magazines for it.

I'm not a Glock fan.

The px4 was another one I tried. Wasn't bad, but didn't call my name when I pulled the slide back like the few others did. THe Beretta felt really awesome as far has how smooth the slide was. Just felt good, even the double action pull wasn't bad. I wasn't sure if I would like it, but it was nice.

The p226 I felt up was a used police turn in. I don't know how they are supposed to feel as far as all their levers, but it just didn't grab me.

Where do you live? There are probably plenty of forum members who would meet you at a range to let you shoot their collection so you can make a better decision. You may like the way something feels in your hand - such as an LCR, or Kel Tec PF9. But it may feel totally different when you shoot it.

Edited by mcbethr

The PX4 is on my short list, and I'm interested to read that you can get 15 round Magazines for it.

The PX4 Compact comes with 15 rounders. The PX4 Full Size has aftermarket 15 rounders available for it, although I think they are sold with the 10 rounders in NJ. I haven't seen a full sized PX4 at the Gun store in a while.

When you racked the slide... that rotating barrel didn't impress you?

The PX4 Compact comes with 15 rounders. The PX4 Full Size has aftermarket 15 rounders available for it, although I think they are sold with the 10 rounders in NJ. I haven't seen a full sized PX4 at the Gun store in a while.

I know. : (

The full size comes with 10 rounders, which isn't an issue. 15 is better, but 10 will suffice for my needs.

When you racked the slide... that rotating barrel didn't impress you?

Didn't notice it...

If you're wanting a 9mm, and you think that it will be your one and only (unlikely), I'd vote 92fs. Solid platform...basically a Cadillac.

I wanted cheaper and I have a Ruger p95. I love it.

THe 92fs seriously felt like butter when I cocked it. It's the only non-striker fire I really felt something for.

Oh and I'm in Bergen County(Oradell). I know at the end of the day I shouldn't just go buy something without really firing them first.

Where do you live? There are probably plenty of forum members who would meet you at a range to let you shoot their collection so you can make a better decision. You may like the way something feels in your hand - such as an LCR, or Kel Tec PF9. But it may feel totally different when you shoot it.

I live in Bergen county. It would be awesome if I could shoot without renting first.

You won't know what you like until you shoot it. I despised everything about Glocks but once I shot it I was in love. Tried about 10 different guns and the ones that I liked best at the counter were some of the ones that I hated once I shot them.

I had the same problem. I hated glocks, hated all the hype, and that it was plastic. I shot a strangers at the range, he was nice enough to let me try it, and I now own 3 glocks. Lol. G19 is my bedside gun. love them!

My first pistol was a Beretta 96 Vertec. Felt real nice in the store, thought I liked the grip, till I shot it. The grip was the worst, I sold it ASAP bought a regular Beretta 96 (FS)

I agree, try a few different guns before you buy and trust me, you won't stop at 1.

Looks like RTSP has a few of the handguns I'd like to try. Not the best selection of .45's for me, but in 9mm they have almost everything I want to try. Maybe I'll swing out there this weekend and see what feels good.

I have a PPQ and an XD 4" Service (for sale btw ;) ) both in 9mm. I have a wedding Sat, but might hit RTSP on Sunday. If you're going PM me and let me know when. Perhaps we can meet up.