xshawnxearthx

Buying just one(for now), and need help with my OCD!

Just received my permits and I'm ready to purchase. After spending about an hour in a local shop dry firing and getting a feel for what fits my hands best, I've narrowed it down to the following. Glock 17 Glock 21 Springfield XD/XDM 9mm Springfield XD/XDM .45 Beretta 92sf I tried a plethora of others. M&P 9mm/.45(felt cheap) FNP-9(felt really cheap) Sig Sauer p226(just for shits and giggles, can't even afford used). Bunch of 1911's(really not my thing) Glock 19(grip just too small) XDM(compact and mid sized, not into them) Main reason for the firearm is home defense. I'd like to only have to buy ONE hand gun... I KNOW that is what everyone is going to say to do, but I'm just looking for some caliber feedbacks. I KNOW I will be ok with any of those full size pistols, it's just a matter of caliber. Obviously there is a big debate about 9mm vs .45 and 9mm being cheaper to shoot. Is a .45 going to be that much more badass of a round?

When checking out the fit to your hand, remember to try the feel with the various back straps if the model you are looking at has different ones. When I first tried the G19, the trigger did not fall on the right spot on my index finger, but with the large back strap it was perfect.

There is a lot of debate on the best caliber. Compare all of them and select the one that meets your needs. You should consider: cost, availability, stopping power factor, knockdown factor (TKOF), velocity (FPS), energy (ft. lbs.), penetration potential, among others...

I started out with a 9mm to keep the cost low while I was a new shooter and added others over time in different calibers as funds and time permitted. A simple evaluation checklist may help and is attached. I am sure there are other indicators and features out there, but you can add them to your evaluation list if they are important to you. You will have a lot of questions and there are a lot of opinions out here but in the end, The key is to do your homework by testing the aspects of the gun most important for you.

I will add the file as soon as I find out why I have a 500K global upload quota.

The PX4 Compact comes with 15 rounders. The PX4 Full Size has aftermarket 15 rounders available for it, although I think they are sold with the 10 rounders in NJ. I haven't seen a full sized PX4 at the Gun store in a while.

I know. : (

The full size comes with 10 rounders, which isn't an issue. 15 is better, but 10 will suffice for my needs.

I have the fullsize PX4 .40 and it came with 2 15 round magazines from factory, bought in NJ at my local gun store. They have for the fullsize 10, 15, 17(9mm/.40) 8 (.45) rounders from factory, that way beretta makes everyone happy, especially NJ, CA, NY.

All the guns you listed are good guns. Even the ones you didn't like. So, there's no debate you're buying quality.

9mm vs .45, for me, depends on how much you're going to shoot. If you want to shoot a lot and only have one handgun, get the 9mm. I have both a 9mm and .45 and hardly shoot the .45 due to ammo costs. Not that it's unaffordable but with 9mm about half the cost it's tough to break out the .45. Plus, I've been doing a lot more golfing than shooting and the 9mm is more pleasurable to shoot. The .45 has more recoil and I'm just learning to control the 9mm for double taps. But, you're a much larger person than me. You should be able to handle .45 no problem.

For strictly HD the .45 is better but 9mm is certainly a formidable round.

I have hollow points in my HD mags. If something goes down in your house you'll get in trouble for shooting someone not for the type of bullets you shot them with.

I have a PPQ and an XD 4" Service (for sale btw ;) ) both in 9mm. I have a wedding Sat, but might hit RTSP on Sunday. If you're going PM me and let me know when. Perhaps we can meet up.

Let me check with my Sunday schedule. Supposed to go look at houses in the early afternoon it might be able to meet after. You wouldn't happen to have a glock 21 would you ? ;-)

You can skydive with your Glock, go swimming with your Glock, bury your Glock & a million years later some archaeological space alien will find it in perfect condition & fires off a few rounds for amusement....

+1. Theres a reason 70% of LE worldwide uses Glock..nuff said..cast my vote for G19...compact yet 15+1 capacity..no frame decorations..all work ..never failed me

Some Random Points:

• Glock 21 SF - The SF stands for Short Frame rather than Slim Frame
  • Hollow Points are legal for Home Defense in NJ
  • If funds are short then go 9mm or .22 for your first firearm. The cost of Ammunition is far higher than the cost of the firearm.
  • Definitely recommend going to a course or two asap - you can usually try different firearms in the courses which will give you additional insight in what you like/don't like and the pros/cons
  • Glocks - think about whether you want Gen 3 or Gen 4
  • Beretta is totally different from XD/XDM and Glock in terms of weight, trigger etc

Assuming you like them then I'd suggest the Glock for your first firearm on the basis that accessories/holsters/upgrades are cheap and plentiful, and it makes a good HD firearm (no safeties etc to worry about).

TheWombat

You know, when I search ammo, I guess it depends on quality and manufacturer. Some boxes of ammo in .45 aren't THAT much more expensive than their 9mm counterpart. SOME companies...

Some Random Points:

• Glock 21 SF - The SF stands for Short Frame rather than Slim Frame(I would go with full size frame)
  • Hollow Points are legal for Home Defense in NJ(noted and will be purchasing)
  • If funds are short then go 9mm or .22 for your first firearm. The cost of Ammunition is far higher than the cost of the firearm.(funds aren't short and considering I won't be at the range every weekend, I think I'd be able to afford the difference in .45 vs 9mm)
  • Definitely recommend going to a course or two asap - you can usually try different firearms in the courses which will give you additional insight in what you like/don't like and the pros/cons
  • Glocks - think about whether you want Gen 3 or Gen 4(The G17 I felt was a gen4, the 21 was a gen 3)
  • Beretta is totally different from XD/XDM and Glock in terms of weight, trigger etc(yes definitely different, but still good.)

Assuming you like them then I'd suggest the Glock for your first firearm on the basis that accessories/holsters/upgrades are cheap and plentiful, and it makes a good HD firearm (no safeties etc to worry about).

TheWombat

Honestly, a Glock 17/21 are the front runners for the first gun. Hopefully I'll be able to shoot a bunch this weekend if I go to RTSP. They have the g17 AND the beretta...so I'll get those two out of the way. Obviously not all .45's will be the same, but I assume if I can tolerate and live with the "push" of a .45, It would be similar between a glock and another polymer...