Sign in to follow this  
z2886

Gunsmith to clean .22 rifles Central Jersey

Sayerville sportsman offers that I believe. Better yet, you can also check with our forum sponsors East Brunswick Sportsman and Bullseye Tactical in Woodbridge..

Excuse me for the dumb question but why do you need a gunsmith to clean them? Are they not functioning properly?

Sayerville sportsman offers that I believe. Better yet, you can also check with our forum sponsors East Brunswick Sportsman and Bullseye Tactical in Woodbridge..

Excuse me for the dumb question but why do you need a gunsmith to clean them? Are they not functioning properly?

They have been sitting unfired for about 40 yrs. Extremely dirty.

Why not just do it yourself? Not hard, most are easy to dissemble even semi auto. All you need is a cleaning rod,old tooth brush, solvent and oil. Rifles dont go bad sitting,even if they look neglected. Your going to need the cleaning supplies anyway if you start shooting it. Its not like your going to blow your self up with a rimfire

They have been sitting unfired for about 40 yrs. Extremely dirty.

If you are not comfortable assessing and cleaning them yourself by all means use a gunsmith. Who knows what has rusted, gotten lost or is worn out on 40 year old weapons (especially if they were not in your possession that whole time). You may not be familiar with the internals but a competent gunsmith might spot a simple to fix problem and correct it before something bad can happen.

eh, forty years is nothing. BUT if there is question, its best to ask someone with more knowledge. Look them over before and see if the pro finds something you diddn't.

As far as age goes two weekends ago I was shooting two Springfields one114 years the other 91 years old and a Remington pump 22rf built before WW1. All shoot better then I can due to old eyes and iron sights. Got a buddy with an Trapdoor Springfield shooter that goes back over 130 years for the conversion on a muzzle loader that was built in the 1860's. And know of a couple muzzle loaders that have been shooting for over 175 years.