Teky0101

AR15 Buffer and Spring

Hello Everyone,

I have decided to switch out my stock s&w buffer for a Bravo Company H2 buffer 4.6oz and a spikes tactical 17-7 buffer spring. I was wondering which works better the buffers with Tungsten powder or ones with physical weight like the one from Bravo Company? Also will going to a higher OZ buffer beat the heck out of my receiver or will it be alright? Thank you for your help!

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XSTSLA501S&name=Spike's+Tactical+Mil.-Spec+17-7+Buffer+Spring&groupid=576

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/H2-Carbine-Buffer-p/buffer%20carbine%20h2.htm

Hello Everyone,

I have decided to switch out my stock s&w buffer for a Bravo Company H2 buffer 4.6oz and a spikes tactical 17-7 buffer spring. I was wondering which works better the buffers with Tungsten powder or ones with physical weight like the one from Bravo Company? Also will going to a higher OZ buffer beat the heck out of my receiver or will it be alright? Thank you for your help!

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XSTSLA501S&name=Spike's+Tactical+Mil.-Spec+17-7+Buffer+Spring&groupid=576

http://www.bravocomp...arbine%20h2.htm

In Theory the heavier buffer will cause you to feel less felt recoil as the buffer will be moving slower hence reducing you cyclic rate. The heavier buffer will not hit the end of your buffer tube as hard and you feel less "thump".

Now, just test fire so you know you will cycle reliably, which you should.

The prevailing therory is the buffer and spring should match the type of stock, not the type of upper on the rifle. Carbine stock....carbine buffer and spring. Rifle stock.....rifle stock and spring. Within each category (carbine stock / rifle stock) you can change your buffers and springs to improve your comfort. However, crossing the categories (carbine stock....rifle buffer,spring) is not recommended. The combination howver needs to matched to let the BCG cycle properly. It's your personal decision to see what works for you.

The prevailing therory is the buffer and spring should match the type of stock, not the type of upper on the rifle. Carbine stock....carbine buffer and spring. Rifle stock.....rifle stock and spring. Within each category (carbine stock / rifle stock) you can change your buffers and springs to improve your comfort. However, crossing the categories (carbine stock....rifle buffer,spring) is not recommended. The combination howver needs to matched to let the BCG cycle properly. It's your personal decision to see what works for you.

Tbill, the op is swapping out his " stock" buffer, which I will assume is an "H" buffer, to a "H2" buffer. I don't think he is planning on changing either his receiver ext or stock.

To the op, I have heard some people rave about the powder filled buffers and I have heard others blast them as complete gimmick and waste of money. My opinion is that unless you have some form of cycling issue I would just leave it alone. Most people seem to run the heaviest buffer and or spring that will still allow their weapon to cycle reliably with the use of their preferred ammo. Running the heavier buffer is fine for your rifle, the only thing it could do is change how the weapon cycles.

After putting a bunch of rounds downrange in my self-built AR, I decided I needed a slightly heavier buffer. So when I switched, I decided to see if the powder filled buffers were any better. I found a Spikes ST-2 somewhere online. (Not much $$$ difference between a standard H2 and the ST-2... and they weigh close to the same.)

Bottom line: Runs like it should in my AR, weight-wise, and the BCG cycles better now. I'm happy

Does the tungsten powder work any magic over a regular H2 buffer? I do feel like it's a wee bit softer... more of a deadening blow. But that's subjective. There is one thing that a tungsten powder filled buffer does for certain... no more rattle of the weights inside that buffer. So if the rattle annoys you... :icon_e_biggrin:

I was replacing the buffer and spring since I was have a lot of short stroke issues recently. I checked a number of things from recommendations online and from a smith and I felt this would be the best try to solve the problem. The buffer came today and its really nice I cannot wait to try it to see how the gun will function. I simply cannot believe how light of buffer weight s&w was using, its only at 2.6oz!

I was replacing the buffer and spring since I was have a lot of short stroke issues recently. I checked a number of things from recommendations online and from a smith and I felt this would be the best try to solve the problem. The buffer came today and its really nice I cannot wait to try it to see how the gun will function. I simply cannot believe how light of buffer weight s&w was using, its only at 2.6oz!

Teky0101, please post the results of your buffer swap. It would also be helpful for all of us if you could give us a description of the cycling issues you were having, and why you believe this was the best fix. This should help us all if we ever experience any of the same issues. Plus there are a lot of qualified people here that could give you some additional insight into the issues you hopefully were experiencing.