CAPTBIL3

Does anyone own the M&P 9 shield?

I have a Shield and it is a very nice gun and I am quite pleased with it. For someone with large hands, or a lefty, it might not be as suitable, and it definitely needs some grip tape on it.

The safety really isn't an issue for me at all. I guess not having it might be better, but I am perfectly happy with having it. It goes on with a solid click. I cannot really put it back off without changing grip, but that is not that important as reholstering it would be slow and careful. I don't think it could be put on accidentally. And, if it was never used, I don't think that would be an issue. However, since it's on there, I train with it.

It has nice quality sights and the sight radius is maximized for additional accuracy. And, the recoil is very manageable for such a small gun. I would like to see how one in .40 S&W handles it.

With the short barrel, it is loud, though, when shooting at the range.

It is a little bigger in size than a S&W M&P 9C or a baby Glock in terms of height, but it is a lot thinner, and for me, that makes it much easier to conceal.

The trigger is a toss up. To me, at 6.5 lbs, I feel it could be a little lighter (especially with a thumb safety) but I do like it. Is it as nice as a Ruger SR9C's trigger? NO. But It has a nice clean break and you have more of a Glock-type reset than on other M&P pistols. Maybe it is just me, however, but when shooting it and pulling back on the trigger, the front moves a little, especially when you don't have a full magazine. The striker spring/mechanism seems to be doing that,as the striker is released. I am sure it will wear in and be a little better, but truthfully, and, truthfully I would like an Apex trigger installed in it if that would help.

The trigger isn't that bad, and for such a small gun it is quite combat accurate (and the trigger is part of that) and it is quite comfortable to shoot at the range with the larger magazine with the extra grip purchase. It hasn't happened to me, but with quick reloads, I could see where someone might have to be careful about not pinching the web of the hand between the magazine and the frame. I'm not the greatest shot, but with the first magazine shooting it, I was easily able to put all 8 shots in a 9" plate at 50 feet.

It is definitely quality made and has been completely reliable with the first 4 or 5 boxes put through it.

I would like to see Tru-Glo TFO sights available for it, and a larger magazine that could be added to it in a pinch or for reloads 12-15 rounds...

I like this gun a lot and to me and the way it feels in my hands, the trigger, and all, it is a keeper. I liked it much better than the Beretta Nano and even the Walther.

I think it is an awesome value at the selling price! And, it cannot be compared apples to oranges. The total package and feel of it is that good and I am very pleased with its accuracy and pointing ability. Again, if I had largish hands, I probably would not like it that much.

Could it be a little better? sure... but it is sweet.

Whatever you do, make sure you at least handle one if not shoot one before ordering one. I love the full size M&P's but, did not like the way the shield felt at all. Check out the Walther PPS and Kahr offerings, as well as the Beretta Nano and compare to the shield. See which one is right for you.

Whatever you do, make sure you at least handle one if not shoot one before ordering one. I love the full size M&P's but, did not like the way the shield felt at all. Check out the Walther PPS and Kahr offerings, as well as the Beretta Nano and compare to the shield. See which one is right for you.

The Shield has it all over the Nano and the PPS, and I think the trigger is better than the Kahr. In my opinion, its competition is the thicker baby Glock and the Ruger SR9C. And since they are much thicker, it is in a different category. It is much more shootable than the Nano or the PPS.

It functions more like a compact instead of a semi-compact, and yet it is more concealable.

I just sold my Beretta Nano to a member here. It is small and slim, and is a great shooter. It has a revolver-like trigger (lighter though), which I liked. Some small semi autos had really light triggers with no safety (like the PPS). That scared me a bit.

I like it so much, I would love it if S&W came out with a .22LR Shield.

The Shield isn't for everyone, but for me it feels just right.

I really like mine. The trigger is indeed stiff but since it shares parts with the full size you can drop in an Apex striker block and spring and you're good to go. I polished the camming surface of my striker block (NOT recontour!) and that seems good enough for now.

The dovetail fits full size sights too, although many will hang over the sides. That's unacceptable to me so I've been looking at some Trijicons that are supposed to fit.

The Shield has it all over the Nano and the PPS, and I think the trigger is better than the Kahr. In my opinion, its competition is the thicker baby Glock and the Ruger SR9C. And since they are much thicker, it is in a different category. It is much more shootable than the Nano or the PPS.

It functions more like a compact instead of a semi-compact, and yet it is more concealable.

I'm glad you like your shield. I wanted to like it, I ordered one before even seeing one. While I was waiting, I had the chance to try one and it just didn't feel right in the web of my hand. Also had the chance to shoot a pps and it was the right one for me. Best trigger of the bunch and for me, it was very shootable. Sold my kahr pm9 and bought the pps in .40 and have no regrets. That's why I suggest the OP try them out and see which one works for him.

I'm glad you like your shield. I wanted to like it, I ordered one before even seeing one. While I was waiting, I had the chance to try one and it just didn't feel right in the web of my hand. Also had the chance to shoot a pps and it was the right one for me. Best trigger of the bunch and for me, it was very shootable. Sold my kahr pm9 and bought the pps in .40 and have no regrets. That's why I suggest the OP try them out and see which one works for him.

Hear, Hear, sounds like a good plan.

In for some feedback as well. I have a full size M&P and will prob pick up the Shield at some point. I also have a CM9 now as well. Blue, why you switching from the Kahr?

I will still use the kahr from time to time. Like carrying more rounds and like a little bigger gun. Going with the xd 9 subcompact. The kahr will mostly become my last ditch backup for on duty and plain clothes

Got mine a few weeks ago, and really like it so far. I shoot lefty and the safety really isn't an issue. I did however inadvertently drop the magazine which kept the next round from feeding, that didn't give me a very good feeling considering this gun is for CCW. I have handled other small pistols and this one does feel great in my hands compared to others and it shoots great, but dropping the mag is something I really didn't like.

We'll see if I end up keeping it or not, i'm kinda on the fence about it.

I have shot one and really like it. I've been waiting for one to come on locally from my ffl. I plan on a little apex love to it. it's definitely a lot thinner than the g26 and that I what seals it. My pinky just curled right under and I hot it well. With the extended mag is what a breeze.

I actually need to get my Apex kit in my mp9. Lol

Interesting that you say its bigger than the M&Pc. I didnt think that was the case, but like you said the kicker is the width...

It is slightly higher than the M&P 9C with the larger grip, but significantly thinner. It is hard for me to conceal and that extra fitness makes a difference.

I wonder if Glock will ever make a single stack. Now, what they should do is make a single stack one and finally make a .22 conversion for it and sell as a package. Are you listening, Glock? $650 for a single stack 9 or .40 w/ a .22 conversion slide... Since it wouldn't be compatible with the other Glocks and mags, etc. it would make sense for them to capture this market.

I have shot one and really like it. I've been waiting for one to come on locally from my ffl. I plan on a little apex love to it. it's definitely a lot thinner than the g26 and that I what seals it. My pinky just curled right under and I hot it well. With the extended mag is what a breeze.

I actually need to get my Apex kit in my mp9. Lol

I like the baby Glock, but as you said, this is much thinner and just feels right. However, that is subject to the person holding it, and I could see how it wouldn't work for someone with large hands. The M&P Shields seems to point very nicely as well.

The M&P Shield 9mm would not fire a box of 9mm foreign military surplus rounds as it appears that the primers were too hard for it and didn't function properly having light strikes (really primer sensitivity). Other 9mm handguns worked just fine with the ball ammo. I'm a little disappointed.