Sign in to follow this  
MsM&P9

Ammo Purchase and Privacy Concerns

I wanted to share my observations about something. Last week I went to a local Dick's location to purchase some 9mm ammo. They asked for my FID card. No big deal. The guy then proceeded to log in a book the information off my FID and how much ammo I purchased. My question is -- is this legal for them to do? Isn't it a privacy violation? All of us who reside in NJ know the process we needed to go through and the extensive background checks needed to complete the process to obtain an FID and any permits we need. Is this just a company policy Dick's has or are all establishments that sell ammo required to do this? I acknowledge the fact that I am a new gun owner and not considered experienced, but even so it just seems ridiculous to me that all NJ gun owners who have already gone through state and federal background checks and been fingerprinted cannot even purchase ammo without going through this every time?. Please enlighten me if I'm unreasonably annoyed. It just seems ridiculous to me

You are reasonably annoyed as that practice is ridiculous, but it is required for FFLs in NJ to keep a log of all ammo purchases that can be used in pistols. It was decided by the Wizard of the NJ Legislature that this would "prevent crime."

What do I think? It's a form of gun registration/gun control. You can't buy ammo for a handgun if you don't have a FIDC. If you move into NJ with your legally owned handguns you can't get ammo for them.

Yeah, NJ saves everything regarding firearms/hg ammo. We register every handgun, log all handgun ammo purchases and save NICS checks. NICS goes through NJ to the Feds. The Feds purge it after the call, and NJ saves it. Unlike our friends across the river in Pa. We pay for a nics check.

I think there is a little too much NJ hating in this thread.

And, you don't have to go to a gun show in America to buy ammo. For PA, Walmart is usually a good bet. If you want to pay a little more, Dicks and Sports Authority and every gun shop also have ammo for sale. And slingshots (don't take those back to NJ).

Many or most online sellers now require fpid and dl from nj people. So right there is a record of what you bought anyway, along with the address where it was sent, fpid is an extra cya thing for the online retailers.

My question for our resident ffls, is what are you supposed to do with that info? Have you been asked for this log during your regular inspections?

My question for our resident ffls, is what are you supposed to do with that info? Have you been asked for this log during your regular inspections?

An ammo A&D Book is required to be on premises for inspection. Just like an A&D Book for firearms.

This started about 3 years ago. FFLs must log your ID and Caliber and amount purchased. NJ and you!

Logging ammo sales in a book has been going on in NJ for a lot longer than 3 years, I'm not sure about all handgun ammo, but hollow points have been logged into books for at least 20 years. The worst part about this is, there isn't even a LAW requiring it, it's more BS the AG came up with and put it into the Administrative Code.