jcpg

Winchester White Box (Walmart Easton PA purchases) lengthy.

Please don't soil it by tearing apart someone over their mistake.

Once was a mistake (and still one time too many). Three times is sheer idiocy. What they did violates every tenent of safe gun handling - the foundation of our sport. I stand by my original statement - they should never be allowed to touch a gun again.

To the OP - if the slide was in battery, why not just pull the trigger? Obviously it wasn't, and you couldn't - that is what a disconnector is for and was your clue to box it up and take it to a qualified person to remedy.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Personally, I think this should be shown to the EFGA board so they can have a word with the OP. I am a member and shoot there quite frequently and absolutely do NOT feel safe knowing that this guy could be there as well. I absolutely can't believe this story. It's almost like one of those troll stories that is written for pure attention. What's even more funny, is one of the OP's original posts back in December was about how he wouldn't go to the range until he felt he had enough dry-fire time at home that he would be ABSOLUTELY safe for himself and others at the range.

To the OP - if the slide was in battery, why not just pull the trigger? Obviously it wasn't, and you couldn't - that is what a disconnector is for and was your clue to box it up and take it to a qualified person to remedy.

Striker fired gun - They pulled the trigger once, it didn't go bang. Couldn't rack the slide to reset the striker.....

It also with the M&P, the striker is not cocked back until you pull the trigger so while not entirely safe, I would have gotten it to a gunsmith in that condition.

Striker fired gun - They pulled the trigger once, it didn't go bang. Couldn't rack the slide to reset the striker.....

It also with the M&P, the striker is not cocked back until you pull the trigger so while not entirely safe, I would have gotten it to a gunsmith in that condition.

Please forgive my ignorance, but what caused this incident?I'm sitting with 3 boxes of this ammo.

Personally, I think this should be shown to the EFGA board so they can have a word with the OP.

That's not a bad idea. We need to police our own ranks. I can understand a new shooter faux pas like breaking the 180 or reloading with your finger in the trigger, or even sweeping someone next to you (once), but this was so blatant and so stupid that this person (people) needs to be culled from our ranks lest he reflect badly on all shooters in general and NJ shooters in particular. This incident shows such poor judgement and immaturity that I never want to be on the same range with them. I totally fail to understand how they came to the conclusion that throwing a gun - not once, but three or more times - over a wall, was a "safe" endeavor. This action is indefensible.

JM (not so) HO

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Once was a mistake (and still one time too many). Three times is sheer idiocy. What they did violates every tenent of safe gun handling - the foundation of our sport. I stand by my original statement - they should never be allowed to touch a gun again.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

The first couple responses certainly hit the message home that this was a big deal (deleted the story) Now that the point has been made there will be 30 other "look at this friggin idiot" comments, and substance would better suit this topic then a gang bang of name callers. Im not jumping on you for your comments, but now that he knows how bad that idea was and how terrible the outcome could have been, we need not have every poster reiterating their faults. Ive seen forums where members jump on new members before and it will scare the shit out of newbies to post here with their honest questions in fear of ridicule. The worst question is the one never asked.

I'm gonna guess either out-of-spec case length or bullet setback.

Is there a simple way to identify such ammo? I've already shot 300 rounds of this white box ammo without incident on both of my 9 mm but trying to understand what could have happened and what to do if it does.

The first couple responses certainly hit the message home that this was a big deal (deleted the story) Now that the point has been made there will be 30 other "look at this friggin idiot" comments, and substance would better suit this topic then a gang bang of name callers. Im not jumping on you for your comments, but now that he knows how bad that idea was and how terrible the outcome could have been, we need not have every poster reiterating their faults. Ive seen forums where members jump on new members before and it will scare the shit out of newbies to post here with their honest questions in fear of ridicule. The worst question is the one never asked.

I can agree with what you say. I don't ever recall jumping on any new shooter, ever. Quite the opposite, I think I have been instrumental in helping any new shooter that knows enough to ask the question. That was the problem in this case - they didn't have the intelligence to ask the right questions - or at the very least, do nothing until they find a knowledgable source. What they did was so egregious that I don't think it can be stressed often enough. These are firearms. They have the potential to maim or kill someone. They need to be kept under your direct control. It doesn't get much simpler than that. They demonstrated that they are too immature to own a gun.

I'm done.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Not being specific to your comments good sir. You are a great resource of knowledge in this community. I just saw the way the thread was headed, and there was less discussion and more ridicule. Your opinion stated above is certainly correct. Their solution should never had been an option. I still cant imagine that no one would help them on the range, even after the pistol toss ensued. Not that it's a bystanders fault, but I would feel it necessary to (as you put it) police our own and tell them what the implications of their actions. If not for the safety of the owners, but that of the others as well as yourself.

Is there a simple way to identify such ammo? I've already shot 300 rounds of this white box ammo without incident on both of my 9 mm but trying to understand what could have happened and what to do if it does.

Take a set of calipers and set them to the specified overall length for a 9mm round, then take each round from the box and ensure that each round is close to that length.

Set the calipers for case length and then do a similar operation for case length.

Specs for 9mm:

Case length 19.15 mm (0.754 in)

Overall length 29.69 mm (1.169 in)

Take a set of calipers and set them to the specified overall length for a 9mm round, then take each round from the box and ensure that each round is close to that length.

Set the calipers for case length and then do a similar operation for case length.

Specs for 9mm:

Off to Harbor Freight after work.....Thanks.

Duppie: If you haven't had any problems in 300 rounds shot thus far, it's doubtful that any will arise now. Don't let me dissuade you from buying a set of calipers, every shooter should have one. If the problems with this particular ammo were as bad as the OP makes it out to be, we would have heard more about this than a single post by an inexperienced (that's an understatement) shooter. Methinks there was more afoot here than was implied in the OP.

Adios,

Pizza Bob <----shooter of thousands of rounds of WWB w/nary a hiccup

Bob, actually this isn't the first time I've heard of this issue with WWB. I can't remember exactly when it happened, but I do distinctly remember going through the caliper exercise I described above with my own stash of WWB 9mm in response to a previous report of a firearm getting jammed up due to out-of-spec WWB 9mm ammo.

It may be rare, but it's not without precedent.

Duppie: If you haven't had any problems in 300 rounds shot thus far, it's doubtful that any will arise now. Don't let me dissuade you from buying a set of calipers, every shooter should have one. If the problems with this particular ammo were as bad as the OP makes it out to be, we would have heard more about this than a single post by an inexperienced (that's an understatement) shooter. Methinks there was more afoot here than was implied in the OP.

Adios,

Pizza Bob <----shooter of thousands of rounds of WWB w/nary a hiccup

I figured as much but as you've already guessed, it offers me an excuse to buy a set of calipers and poke around HF.

wow, still catching up and I get to see this thread, wow, just wow.

Now we all have probably had a gun get a round stuck for one reason or another and if you haven't it's probably just a matter of time before you do.

One thing you really need to learn is how to clear these death jams, and I'll tell you throwing the gun ain't one of them.

Here is a trick I learned from the one time I had a bad jam, grab the side with one hand very tightly keeping the gun pointed in a safe direction at all times (after reading this thread I think I DO have to mention that to the OP) from over the top of the slide.

Now with your other hand off the gun, push the frame of the gun forward very hard and quick to clear the round, repeat if necessary till it's cleared.

Again, throwing a gun to clear it ain't the way to do it.

Wow, just wow..

Pizza Bob - I'm glad you took up the torch here. I'm tired of being the prick. But I'll tell the list something straight out... If I'm muzzle swept after one warning or If I saw some one throwing a pistol around, the offendent and I are going to have a problem.

Safe firearms handling is something found deep in your chest.

Let's get the story straight. I'm a responsible gun owner. Always have, always will be. I seriously don't think anyone of you understand the level of fear behind everyone involved. I press check all firearms once a round is chambered in each magazine. I practice very good etiquette. Muzzle bagged and cased down range even while unpacking I've kept my muzzle down range. Finger off thr trigger until punch out with the front sight focused. . I Never had an RO ever need to correct my actions. I don't shoot for speed. I shoot for accuracy. I literally dry fire thousands of rounds with a press check to recock and review the snap cap prior to every dry fire. I don't act like this sometimes. I practice this all the time. Safety starts with good training. Obviously none of us were trained gunsmiths and can detach any extractor to free the stuck rim. All numbers at EFGA led to voicemail. We tried. We failed, but we survived.

The rounds are still out there. One of you guys will eventually experience this. Maybe you will be shooting at a better time with more resources. I wish the best of luck for all of you. We all have family and loved ones. If you can't respect and fear a firearm you do not deserve one. I knew damn well I was going I look like an idiot, but you know what. I posted anyways. Not for my sake, but yours. This will happen again, but not to me.

Nothing I can say can make what we did right, but seriously all the asshat comments with no better recommendation is neither amusing or productive. We are shooters. We come from different walks of life and come here for information. I spend my life on the Internet and take all advice here with a grain of salt, but coming at me like I disrespected you is the wrong approach.

Oh boy, I have a feeling this is gonna become one of those 100 page threads that have people from other forums coming over to view the story. lol

Keep an eye on the guest count.

Please help me understand something.

So on the PPQ, you were in fact able to remove the slide from the frame? However even in a condition were you could better analyze he issue, the best course of action you could still come up with, was to put it back on the frame and chuck it at the ground?!?!

Come on now. You can't be serious. Under what logic does someone who claims to be scared that the round is going to go off, does that person then reassemble a malfunctioned firearm and throw it? So in the course of disassembling, and resembling, and then repeatedly throwing a firearm, you were comfortable enough that it wouldn't go off, but casing and transporting it to a gunsmith was too scary?

Either you are lying about being scared, or you didn't actually give much if any thought to what you were doing (or both).