ScottRod

License to carry concealed

http://njgunpermitattorney.com/

This guy has some interesting postings on who he was able to help. Generally, what everyone else said, but there are some exceptions. This guy claims that you shouldn't bother, but if you must, he'll take your money. I recall one ATM guy he claims got a CCW. In NJ your life does not translate into a justifiable need but bags of money do, go figure. Following the logic of NJ law, if confronted, curl up into a ball and weep. Don't forget to give the criminal all you have first. But an ATM guy or bank money truck driver for some reason doesn't have to assume the fetal position, he can draw and fire. Not sure why. Perhaps armed guards deter crime? Humm, that's interseting, perhaps an armed citizen would deter crime also. Just thinking out loud.

http://njgunpermitattorney.com/

This guy has some interesting postings on who he was able to help. Generally, what everyone else said, but there are some exceptions. This guy claims that you shouldn't bother, but if you must, he'll take your money. I recall one ATM guy he claims got a CCW. In NJ your life does not translate into a justifiable need but bags of money do, go figure. Following the logic of NJ law, if confronted, curl up into a ball and weep. Don't forget to give the criminal all you have first. But an ATM guy or bank money truck driver for some reason doesn't have to assume the fetal position, he can draw and fire. Not sure why. Perhaps armed guards deter crime? Humm, that's interseting, perhaps an armed citizen would deter crime also. Just thinking out loud.

It may have to do with the fact that if your money gets stolen you get to write if off on your taxes or not claim it as income/profit. Moral of the story, don't screw with THEIR money. Perhaps if by chance one made the case that they need to protect their life so they could continue to pay their taxes it would be considered a justifiable need?

It may have to do with the fact that if your money gets stolen you get to write if off on your taxes or not claim it as income/profit. Moral of the story, don't screw with THEIR money. Perhaps if by chance one made the case that they need to protect their life so they could continue to pay their taxes it would be considered a justifiable need?

Haha there we go!

Sent via Tapatalk HD on my iPad

Whats the law on carrying a knife? Blade length? Anyone know?

There is no blade length maximum in NJ, but you need a "lawful purpose" to carry it. But don't forget a pocket knife is not a weapon, it is a tool that you use daily. You don't carry it for self defense, you carry it to open open boxes and mail, to cut a seat-belt in an emergency, or to peel an apple.

There is no blade length maximum in NJ, but you need a "lawful purpose" to carry it. But don't forget a pocket knife is not a weapon, it is a tool that you use daily. You don't carry it for self defense, you carry it to open open boxes and mail, to cut a seat-belt in an emergency, or to peel an apple.

The only lawful purpose clase is for the restricted knives such as switchblades, gravity knives, daggers, dirks,...ect. Other than that carry whatever you want there is no restrictions other than those if they ask as long as you don't have criminal intent there is nothing they can legally do.

The only lawful purpose clase is for the restricted knives such as switchblades, gravity knives, daggers, dirks,...ect. Other than that carry whatever you want there is no restrictions other than those if they ask as long as you don't have criminal intent there is nothing they can legally do.

Lol, so I can carry a samurai sword around wherever I go? It's not on the prohibited weapons list, so by your reasoning I can walk down Main Street looking like a ninja....I don't think so.

The point I and Sgt.Toadette were trying to make is knife laws in this state are even more confusing then the gun laws. If you ask 2 cops about gun laws you are bound to get 3 different answers.

Here's some statutes that, in my non-lawyer opinion, allow any knife to be considered illegal.

2C:39-1

r. "Weapon" means anything readily capable of lethal use or of inflicting serious bodily injury. The term includes, but is not limited to, all (1) firearms, even though not loaded or lacking a clip or other component to render them immediately operable; (2) components which can be readily assembled into a weapon; (3) gravity knives, switchblade knives, daggers, dirks, stilettos, or other dangerous knives, billies, blackjacks, bludgeons, metal knuckles, sandclubs, slingshots, cesti or similar leather bands studded with metal filings or razor blades imbedded in wood; and (4) stun guns; and any weapon or other device which projects, releases, or emits tear gas or any other substance intended to produce temporary physical discomfort or permanent injury through being vaporized or otherwise dispensed in the air.

2C:39-5

d. Other weapons. Any person who knowingly has in his possession any other weapon under circumstances not manifestly appropriate for such lawful uses as it may have is guilty of a crime of the fourth degree.

The key term in these statutes being "manifestly appropriate," which would rid the Katana for opening boxes reasoning. But whose to say that one judge might say a spring-assisted knife, for example, isn't manifestly appropriate for opening boxes? It's vague. Really vague. And it sucks.

Here's some statutes that, in my non-lawyer opinion, allow any knife to be considered illegal.

The key term in these statutes being "manifestly appropriate," which would rid the Katana for opening boxes reasoning. But whose to say that one judge might say a spring-assisted knife, for example, isn't manifestly appropriate for opening boxes? It's vague. Really vague. And it sucks.

So according to that definition we shouldn't be allowed to carry pens and pencils since they are deadly weapons. Just saying that the possibility of any tool to be used as a weapon is going to compile a very long list and I guess it just boils down to how you present yourself.

So according to that definition we shouldn't be allowed to carry pens and pencils since they are deadly weapons. Just saying that the possibility of any tool to be used as a weapon is going to compile a very long list and I guess it just boils down to how you present yourself.

It could be argued that pens/pencils are weapons from a legal perspective, I suppose. I carry a knife everyday and I'm yet to have a problem, nor do I fear I will. I'm not a lawyer so I don't want to go giving you advice on what is/isn't legal to in this-or-that situation. General life advice suggests that if you're professional, courteous, and portray yourself well, you're not going to run into a lot of problems.

Lol, so I can carry a samurai sword around wherever I go? It's not on the prohibited weapons list, so by your reasoning I can walk down Main Street looking like a ninja....I don't think so.

Legally, you can walk down Main st with an unloaded uncased long gun if it's legal to own in NJ and you have a NJ FID card. I don't recommend doing so, since you are sure to be taken down by the police, but you wouldn't be breaking any laws.

Legally, you can walk down Main st with an unloaded uncased long gun if it's legal to own in NJ and you have a NJ FID card. I don't recommend doing so, since you are sure to be taken down by the police, but you wouldn't be breaking any laws.

Yes, and that is the point I was trying to make, many things are legal if you interpret the law exactly as it is written. The problem is especially when it comes to knife laws cops are just as misinformed as gun shop employees. That is what I was trying to get across to the new poster who asked about knife laws, within reason you can carry any kind of pocket knife you want, but on the odd chance you get stopped by the police don't say I'm carrying to defend myself. Any other reasoning(and you don't look/act like a complete shitbag) you will be on your way.

The pen is mightier than the sword...

Who wants to start a long gun parade? Sounds like it would be a blast!

Guy in NH part of the Free State Project, open carries an AR pistol while he picks up trash.

Whats the law on carrying a knife? Blade length? Anyone know?

I asked a police officer after a call I was on about this since I carry a springloaded for ease of opening when at work. Two officers standing there and one told me that it was fine as long as I was using it the way I was as a tool. If I used it to cut some one or threaten that would make it illegal. Then the other officer on scene standing there stated "no isnt that one of the illegal ones period" then they discussed it and I never got an exact answer so as others stated its all in how whoever is enforcing the law sees it.