HuntingCelt

Historical references for Muzzleloaders

Can anyone recommend some resources (books/video/websites) that describe the history and development of muzzleloaders? I've googled abit but thought I'd post the question here. I'm in the market for my first blackpowder rifle. I intend to start with a flintlock and eventually get a percussion cap rifle.

I'm trying to schedule the trip to Dixon's for the purchase of the flintlock and I would like to be as prepared as possible.

Any help or directions is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

Mark,

I think the best way to learn is by doing. Shoot a couple matches with us @ Garden State Black Powder Association. Some of us can loan you what you'll need to shoot the match. Figure-out through chatting with others more knowledgeable than I about flintlocks as to what to get. I shoot only percussion, but plenty of flinters are always at our shoot. I would imagine that at least one flintlock pistolero will be there on the 26th as well.

After shooting & asking questions, you'll have a better idea as to what to buy both gun & supplies-wise.

Hope to see you soon!

Dave