Sign in to follow this  
Spartiati

The media and JHP ammunition...

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/08/17/agencies-tamp-down-speculation-over-hollow-point-ammo-purchases/?test=latestnews#ixzz23tOEtcb1

Aside from the primary subject of this article that the government is preparing for civil unrest, it is also clear that even the conservative media outlets like to spread the message that JHP is more "deadly" than FMJ.

I have only been involved in the shooting sports for a few years so am curious as to how we got here. I have even seen articles, as I am sure everyone has, where the media claims it is so deadly because it penetrates bullet proof vests and they are cop killers.

I am guessing this probably has been discussed in the past but couldn't find anything via search as to the history of how we got here . It just makes my head boil when I see references like this in the media.

JHP is more "deadly".

The issue seems to be that shooting someone a HP bullet means you're out to kill but shooting someone with FMJ means you're a nicer guy?

If the weather service was stocking on FMJ would people still think it suspicious?

The issue seems to be that shooting someone a HP bullet means you're out to kill but shooting someone with FMJ means you're a nicer guy?

No, just that you are trying to hit the guy behind the guy you shot.

Lets not forget that HP is designed to kill LEO's, You know armor piercing and all.

:facepalm:

It is typical of the MSM, just as it is with politicians, not to check facts and verify what they are writing about. The press got this one wrong x 2. The first mistake was when the media dubbed teflon coated bullets as cop-killers, you can read a short dissertation on that subject here...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teflon-coated_bullet

How we got from the teflon coated KTW's to simple hollowpoints as being the fearsome cop-killer bullets, I'll never know - some other misinformed, to lazy to do a little research journalist, I would imagine.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

What amazes me is how much traction this idea has within parts of the law enforcement community as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. All typos courtesy of iOS.

Sorry but No, you are wrong.

It is typical of the MSM, just as it is with politicians, not to check facts and verify what they are writing about. The press got this one wrong x 2. The first mistake was when the media dubbed teflon coated bullets as cop-killers, you can read a short dissertation on that subject here...

http://en.wikipedia....n-coated_bullet

How we got from the teflon coated KTW's to simple hollowpoints as being the fearsome cop-killer bullets, I'll never know - some other misinformed, to lazy to do a little research journalist, I would imagine.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Cue the "Journalists guide to Guns" poster with everything labled "AK-47".

Thanks for the replies, looks like we'll never really know why they are hung up on this. Sure wish there was some way to get some of these stupid misconceptions turned around, but I find that when you talk to anti's about this stuff it is fruitless.

They're hung up on it because it sounds scary to people who are unknowledgable on the subject, and scary = more views = higher ratings.

How many states regulate hollowpoints? I think it is just NJ.

I heard on NJ 1015 cops calling in to say why hollowpoints are illegal and why only police should have them. It was funny. I then heard a gun owner complaining he was not allowed to own them for self defense inside his own home and he was told by Jim Gerheart that he shouldn't worry about hollowpoints being illegal in NJ since he could just buy a shotgun.

Funny shit :D Even the NJ press has no friggin idea what gun laws are, might be, or that anybody owns a gun for anything other than shooting ducks and dear.