xshawnxearthx

Ramsey Outdoor must hate selling firearms.

Recently received my permits, and went to RO in Ramsey to look at some firearms. Figured I'd check them out and see what their pricing was like. Maybe find something used that was up my alley. Anyway, The RO in Ramsey was a little busy when I went, but still had a few people behind the counter NOT helping anyone. After looking for about 15 minutes, with permits in hand, I ended up walking out because even after making eye contact with 2 or 3 people, not one "Do you need help with anything?".

So I decided to check out the RO in Paramus. Walked in with both permits in hand and walked out with a similar experience. It's unfortunate because I would have used either store to pick up cleaning supplies, safe, ammo, etc etc. Oh well.

Anyone else have this sort of experience?

And it wasn't just the gun department. I didn't have one person come up to me and ask me if I needed help anywhere throughout the stores. With the way the economy is, I'm shocked at the lack of service.

Bad management. The Ramsey by me in Roxbury is pretty good. I would not say super though. Meltzer's is very customer oriented probqbly because the owner seems to bee there quite a bit. I bought my Glock there and went two other times and they went out of their way to help me even when I said i was just browsing...shotguns coming off the rack...hold this one, how about this one and so on.

Recently received my permits, and went to RO in Ramsey to look at some firearms. Figured I'd check them out and see what their pricing was like. Maybe find something used that was up my alley. Anyway, The RO in Ramsey was a little busy when I went, but still had a few people behind the counter NOT helping anyone. After looking for about 15 minutes, with permits in hand, I ended up walking out because even after making eye contact with 2 or 3 people, not one "Do you need help with anything?".

So I decided to check out the RO in Paramus. Walked in with both permits in hand and walked out with a similar experience. It's unfortunate because I would have used either store to pick up cleaning supplies, safe, ammo, etc etc. Oh well.

Anyone else have this sort of experience?

And it wasn't just the gun department. I didn't have one person come up to me and ask me if I needed help anywhere throughout the stores. With the way the economy is, I'm shocked at the lack of service.

If you want attentive service go to Luciano's in Woodland Park. I've been greeted at the door each time I've gone in, and if you want help it's never been more than a minute before someone broke free to see what I needed.

Maybe try being a little more direct if you want some help? Like, ask? Instead of only making eye contact? Just a thought.

Anyway, I bought my first handgun at RO in Ramsey since unlike many other stores (including Ramsey in Paramus), they didn't require me to show an FID before fondling some handguns (this was when I was still waiting for my FID and first round of permits). I still go there occasionally, and to Meltzer's, to look at guns in person before deciding to buy online.

FWIW, every time I have gone to the gun counter at RO in Ramsey, I have been asked if I wanted to look at anything. Granted, I rarely go on weekends when it is busy.

RO in Paramus is a different story; I try not to buy anything there if I can help it. The Eastern European-looking clerk that works the counter in the PM hours is especially rude and off-putting.

If you were angered by the lack of individual attention at RO in Ramsey, I hope you don't set foot in Dick's Paramus; you would be lucky if someone showed up at the gun counter even 15-20 minutes after speaking to another employee and having someone paged on the intercom.

I've had similar experiences at Ramsey. Not only are they over priced, their customer service is abominable. I wouldn't go there if it was a full blown zombie Apocalypse and they still had ammo in stock.

If you are in North Jersey, run up to Mastadon in Highland lakes. It's about 50 minutes from Paramus(I do the trip every day since I work near Paramus and live in Highland Lakes).

It's a bit out of your way but you won't get ripped off and you'll be very pleased. They don't have much inventory but can get anything you'd like.

I am a little suprised with the service or lack of service you received but then again I am not. I've purchased a few guns their and never really had a problem but I also learned who to look for. Ron is the best and Fabio is real good to. There is 1 or 2 of the other guys that are slightly on the arrogant side but usually they are pretty good their but if their busy, you have to let them know you want help since they seem to get alot of window shoppers. As far as them being very pricey, I dont see that at all. The last Sig I bought, they were $120.00 cheaper than Meltzers. My friend and I always had great dealings with Ron or Fabio so maybe give them another chance before you cut them loose. Good luck

RO in Paramus is a nightmare, but I always get good service in Ramsey, always greeted with do you want to see anything.

I never get good service at Meltzers(everyone is friendly except the gun counter.) I would never recommend them to anyone.

Luciano's in West Paterson service is good, you are greeted when you walk in the door. I couldn't really gauge prices because they have alot of high-end guns which sticker shocked me.

But I always send people to Mastodon, selection is limited but the personal service is what makes them great.

when i worked in a restaurant years ago i'd yell at the cashiers for not saying "hello how are you guys... here are some menus" and when they physically put menus in the people hands... they were 90% more likely to stay... people that walked in and were not greeted walked away 60% of the time because the place looked busy and they didn't know what was going on.

If i owned a gun shop in NJ... not only would i embrace window shoppers AKA "PEOPLE THAT WILL SOON BE GETTING PERMITS" i would put some sort of monthly flier in their hands so they can sit home and stew on it!! ... Don't these shop owners know that the people that are coming in are probably WAITING for permits? only takes about 2 seconds to say "hi how are you today" be with you in just a minute. If i'm paying employees to work anyway they BETTER say hi as soon as people walk in the door.. or they are out. in a gun shop that could easily mean about 5 to 10k in extra sales a year... from just saying hello...

Thats the difference in successful shops and the ones that aren't...

should have gone to Meltzers in Garfield if ur from Bergen Cty

I plan to check out Meltzer's, but Ramsey is the town over from where I work, and Paramus is the town over from where I live.

I would have said something to the Store Manager. There is no kind of excuse for that kind of behavior.

I should have. The Paramus location had workers just standing around shooting the shit with each other.

Maybe try being a little more direct if you want some help? Like, ask? Instead of only making eye contact? Just a thought.

Anyway, I bought my first handgun at RO in Ramsey since unlike many other stores (including Ramsey in Paramus), they didn't require me to show an FID before fondling some handguns (this was when I was still waiting for my FID and first round of permits). I still go there occasionally, and to Meltzer's, to look at guns in person before deciding to buy online.

FWIW, every time I have gone to the gun counter at RO in Ramsey, I have been asked if I wanted to look at anything. Granted, I rarely go on weekends when it is busy.

RO in Paramus is a different story; I try not to buy anything there if I can help it. The Eastern European-looking clerk that works the counter in the PM hours is especially rude and off-putting.

If you were angered by the lack of individual attention at RO in Ramsey, I hope you don't set foot in Dick's Paramus; you would be lucky if someone showed up at the gun counter even 15-20 minutes after speaking to another employee and having someone paged on the intercom.

I work in sales currently. If I had a customer walk into my place of business, I'm going to ask them if they want help, regardless of whether or not they looked at me. Just poor salesmanship if you ask me. The first time I went to look at a few pistols I went to a place in NY over the border with a co-worker. I walked in the door and was greeted before the door even closed. THat guy even knew I wasn't going to purchase that day, but still took 30 minutes out of his day to let me fondle everything I had wanted.

when i worked in a restaurant years ago i'd yell at the cashiers for not saying "hello how are you guys... here are some menus" and when they physically put menus in the people hands... they were 90% more likely to stay... people that walked in and were not greeted walked away 60% of the time because the place looked busy and they didn't know what was going on.

If i owned a gun shop in NJ... not only would i embrace window shoppers AKA "PEOPLE THAT WILL SOON BE GETTING PERMITS" i would put some sort of monthly flier in their hands so they can sit home and stew on it!! ... Don't these shop owners know that the people that are coming in are probably WAITING for permits? only takes about 2 seconds to say "hi how are you today" be with you in just a minute. If i'm paying employees to work anyway they BETTER say hi as soon as people walk in the door.. or they are out. in a gun shop that could easily mean about 5 to 10k in extra sales a year... from just saying hello...

Thats the difference in successful shops and the ones that aren't...

Seriously! I can understand not wanting to waste time on tire kickers or window shoppers, as bas as it is, I understand. But if I have my FID and P2P in my hands, come on!

PS, RO in Paramus around mid-day today was DEAD in almost every department. NO one even in the gun department, yet there were 2-3 salesmen in the area. Ramsey was a little busier, but they had more staff to handle all the customers.

The first time I went to look at a few pistols I went to a place in NY over the border with a co-worker. I walked in the door and was greeted before the door even closed. THat guy even knew I wasn't going to purchase that day, but still took 30 minutes out of his day to let me fondle everything I had wanted.

Are you talking about Davis Sports ? .. those guys are awesome.. to bad we can't buy pistols from them.. I bought my CZ Mallard O/U from them .. i told the guy what i was looking for and let me check a few shotguns and i ended up with the CZ mainly due to price.. it was only $530 (or something like that)...

I've never had a problem at RO in Ramsey... the RO in Paramus is another story, the guy just looks at you like you have 18 heads and when you are about to talk, he turns around and walks away.. i've never seen anything like that..

Also, the Dick's in Paramus, .. those guys don't care about the gun counter at all... i was standing there one day wanted to see a shotgun, and the guy was in the accessories aisle bullshitting with a couple of his friends.. I looked over and was like "I GUESS NO ONE WORKS IN THIS DEPARTMENT" and he still ignored me... i wanted to kick his face in .. then someone walked over and helped me out... F'ing punk kids there...

RO paramus never have anything really good. I only go there when my wife is in buy buy baby.

RO Ramsey I only deal with Ron. he is really good and always willing to negotiate the price.

there are couple of other places u can go to around our area. most the guys mentioned before. also don't forget the one in Paterson. just went there a week ago. George has some interesting stuff other there.

....also don't forget the one in Paterson. just went there a week ago. George has some interesting stuff other there.

Is that G&S? With the range in the basement?

Also could you elaborate on interesting stuff.

Well I had very similar experience with Ramsey Outdoors in Paramus but not the one in Ledgewood or Ramsey.

When I was in the market for a pistol I shopped around a bit and to be honest Ramsey had the best prices for the glock and beretta I was looking for. Also I was able to finger fondle without an FID as I was coming from work. As for prices the items I was looking for were in some cases were over a 100 dollar savings vs other shops. I guess there is a trade off between service and price.

I do agree Luciano's customer service is first class. However as I was not in the market for a gun when they opened I did not do a price comparison.

I was at Ramsey Outdoors Paramus yesterday looking at cleaning supplies and the guy at the counter spent at least a half hour showing some guy and his girl a bunch of handguns, explaining all the pros and cons, generally going into great detail and patiently answering their questions. I left before seeing if they bought one. I guess it depends on who's behind the counter when you get there. At Ramsey in Ramsey the Asian guy in the gun section is super helpful. Sorry that I can't remember his name.

Are you talking about Davis Sports ? .. those guys are awesome.. to bad we can't buy pistols from them..

You can, they have an arrangement with Thunder Mountain in Ringwood, they send it over to them and they'll process your paperwork, very simple and no hassles.

I have gotten all my stuff at Ramsey Outdoor in Ramsey. I deal mostly with Ron, however both Joes, Jim, Fabio and Sherry have always been very helpful. I also have not found them to be overpiced. And the one time I thought they were a little high, they were able to work with me. It turned out that I was quoting the wrong, lower priced model, and they STILL gave me the deal. I think that that's pretty cool.

Give them another chance. If you want, PM me and I will meet you there and introduce you around.

All that said, if Mastodon was a little closer, I would shop there all the time. It's where I'll be going for my reloading stuff (when they get it).

Good luck.

C

You can, they have an arrangement with Thunder Mountain in Ringwood, they send it over to them and they'll process your paperwork, very simple and no hassles.

I didn't know that. Thanks for the info. I've inquired about handguns and they never mentioned it. I'd like to throw them business, great people there. I always go up and look at $3000 O/U's and they never give me a problem.

I must have it backwards. I usually get crap service up at the Ramsey location.

With the exception of the one heavy European guy, the Paramus location has always been easy to deal with. I got my M&P from them, and it was priced reasonable.

I went here once. I wasn't offered help, but I guess I didn't really mind that so much. When I asked

the guy behind the counter to look at something he helped me. I don't even think I had to show my

FID, but I may be wrong on this. I guess it wasn't overly friendly, but I probably wouldn't write it off

as bad service either.

As far as the Ramsey outdoors in Paramus goes, there was only ONE guy there (old and grumpy looking guy) that completely ignored not only me but about a dozen other guys standing at the counter checking out their stuff.

Every other guy working at the gun counter was extremely helpful and courteous. Their prices are excellent as well - IIRC a gen3 glock was just around $500-$520 which is the same online at Budsgunshop.com and the 10/22 ruger was just around $220. Last I checked their selection of handguns was decent too: kimber 1911's, glocks, remington R1 & enhanced 1911, a bunch of Sigs, springfield XD/XDM, beretta 92fs, etc...

IMO they're definitely worth checking out if you're in the area.

I have had good service at the RO in Succasunna (formerly Ledgewood) and the one in Ramsey. Never went to Paramus.

I bought my Rem 870 from the Succasunna store. They also let me handle multiple handguns without requiring a permit.

I pop in to the Paramus store often enough and I've noticed a difference lately. Even if I'm just strolling the aisle for gun cleaning supplies, the guy behind the gun counter will shout out a hello, ask me if I'm looking for anything special, maybe point out something. I remember even just a short while ago I felt uncomfortable there, and it was totally the same guy. Now I do believe that at least to a certain extent, I don't have a nervous, new gun hobbyist look on my face that probably makes them think "oh great", but still, I've noticed the guy specifically trying to be friendly and helpful.

I've only been to the Ramsey store once, and the guys behind the counter did not seem to want to be interrupted in their conversation about some local zoning law or something... It is possible I still had the deer in headlights look, but they didn't really seem interested in showing me anything.

I will say this, I don't own a Glock 19 but for some reason I've decided to judge gun store prices by what they have their 19 listed for. I've been to Ramsey, Meltzer's (very similar experience to Ramsey), and Luciano's (super friendly), and yes I know there's a difference in price between gen3 and gen4 but Ramsey Outdoor is definitely cheaper by between $20-30 than the other two places.

MC

I've had similar experiences at Ramsey. Not only are they over priced, their customer service is abominable. I wouldn't go there if it was a full blown zombie Apocalypse and they still had ammo in stock.

If you are in North Jersey, run up to Mastadon in Highland lakes. It's about 50 minutes from Paramus(I do the trip every day since I work near Paramus and live in Highland Lakes).

It's a bit out of your way but you won't get ripped off and you'll be very pleased. They don't have much inventory but can get anything you'd like.

Mark - 50 minutes how about 30...? Oh Wait, I got mega tickets last year... Be careful driving maybe 40 minutes.

Oh and they are stocking lowers and I'm seeing more and more interesting stuff come through there. Just sayin'