leahcim

recommendation for carrying

I have a Spyderco Tenacious, which I generally carry for various tasks such as slicing apples, opening boxes, and in case I need to cut through a seatbelt.

Generally I open carry it clipped onto my belt--it has a belt clip and is designed to clip onto a belt. And that is really the most convenient and sensible way to carry it--easy access and does not take valuable pocket space.

Recently I have become concerned if this is a smart way to carry in NJ. Is open carry of a knife considered brandishing? I could not find a legal definition of brandishing in NJ law--based on Webster's definition, open carry on the belt is NOT brandishing, but Webster's is not a lawyer...

How do you carry? And do you recommend open carry or not of a knife in NJ?

thanks!

It is not sio much fast access as convenience--it is just so much easier to hang it on my belt vs. taking up pocket space. Especially if I am wearing slacks or something that is not really suited for carrying much in the pocket.

I was on the road to North Carolina a few weeks ago and I noticed a lot of people there would carry on the belt. but I really do not see that in NJ, and that made me think--I do not want to be "right" but end up in court defending it at great cost. And if NJ law considers open carry as de facto brandishing, then I would rather find that out here and now.

I just want to point out if you ever need your knife for self defense, clipping it on your belt is not the most sensible way to carry it.

Personally I carry a bowie knife in a sheath, and I've never had a cop say anything to me.

But I do not carry it for self defense.

I just want to slice some apples, and open a few boxes and the belt is pretty convenient.

What is the most sensible way to carry?

If you are not worried about self-defense, then you already answered your own question in post 1.

The most sensible way to carry anything, is whatever is most comfortable for you.

I know what is comfortable, but it would not be convenient if that gets me detained or arrested.

But if one were to consider self-defense, what is a better way to carry?

So you clip the knife on your belt and then your shirt goes over it, am I understanding correctly how you carry your knife?

Is that 100% legal, I don't think anyone in this state knows for sure. Knife laws are a whole different shade of grey in NJ.

A better way to carry a folding knife if self defense was the goal, would be to clip it in your front pocket. Think self defense, if someone was on top of you punching you would you be able get the knife off of your belt with someones weight on top of you. This is how it was explained to me by a Krav Maga instructor I knew.

You're worrying way too much. Carry in a way that is comfortable.

For work, shooting, and a couple other specific activities, I usually have them clipped to two different pockets or inside my belt.

And any time other than work, I will clip it to my pocket if my shirt goes over and covers it. If I have a shirt tucked in, or a short tshirt, then it'll sit in my actual pocket.

For the most part, I don't like people being able to see the clip, for a number of different reasons.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I will probably start carrying it clipped in my pocket.

I would not have given it a thought, but this is New Jersey.

For the most part, I don't like people being able to see the clip, for a number of different reasons.

I would guess similar reasoning to OC--if the BG knows you are armed they will deal with you first.

I carry all mine clip in pocket, and tip up if possible. Over 20 years and never a problem but ....

Technically, you can get snagged on that as concealed, as well as having your shirt over it on your belt, but again this is where officer discretion comes into play if you get in a jam of sorts.

With all the wacky gravity rules, assited opening rules, concealed carry rules in this state, one of the most legal ways and types of knives to carry is a fixed blade, in a sheath, on your belt, outside your shirt.

Weird ain't it, as it sure does draw attention while shopping.

Generally I open carry it clipped onto my belt--it has a belt clip and is designed to clip onto a belt. And that is really the most convenient and sensible way to carry it--easy access and does not take valuable pocket space.

no. its not. this is from the instructions from a brand new kershaw:

photobucket-32748-1349431291056.jpg

Note that you cannot carry a knife "for self-defense". You have to have a lawful purpose for carrying the knife. Self-defense is not a lawful purpose, it is a defense to a crime. Eating apples is a delicious and lawful purpose.

BTW, that isn't legal advice, so call an attorney rather than rely on anything I say.

Note that you cannot carry a knife "for self-defense". You have to have a lawful purpose for carrying the knife. Self-defense is not a lawful purpose, it is a defense to a crime. Eating apples is a delicious and lawful purpose.

BTW, that isn't legal advice, so call an attorney rather than rely on anything I say.

I actually used my knife at work last week to cut a stromboli in half because i couldn't find any other knives in the break room...

For work, shooting, and a couple other specific activities, I usually have them clipped to two different pockets or inside my belt.

And any time other than work, I will clip it to my pocket if my shirt goes over and covers it. If I have a shirt tucked in, or a short tshirt, then it'll sit in my actual pocket.

in NYC cops are told to look for clips in a pocket and arrest the person on site! That shit amazes me

I dont know about recently but about 4 years ago I checked a large pocket knife in at the metal detctor at the empire state building, When I came back down the police gave it right back to me. He even made asked me who made the knife because he wanted one himself. I have been stoped by police in nj and other states quite a few times over the years and never once was i asked why i had a knife or anything about a knife. I usually carry a medium fixed blade on my belt under my shirt and a folder cliped in my pocket.

But I do not carry it for self defense.

I just want to slice some apples, and open a few boxes and the belt is pretty convenient.

What is the most sensible way to carry?

Try in waistband. Some people can do it, some people hate it. As for me I have carried IWB

with a Tenacious and it has not bothered me at all. It is completely concealed and draws little

attention (including my own). It's not for a quick draw for sure and it is slower to re-clip (?) back

into your waistband. But it does free up your pockets which is nice.

One other thing you can try is a belt pouch/sheath. I wasn't too keen on it at first, but it actually

works very nicely. Don't feel it at all, frees your pockets, and pretty concealed if you don't tuck

in your shirt.

I've never had a clear understanding about knife laws in NJ. It's very confusing lol.. I do know that most police could care less unless 1. They are performing a traffic stop. At this point I would remove the knife or tell them you have one if being removed from the vehicle. Respect goes a long way as well as the paperwork associated with the knife. 2. You are in a fist fight and your carrying what then will only be described as a weapon not a tool. Many jobs require the use of knives and cutters from EMS to working fishermen on the docks. Where I work any contraband must be filed with police be it narcotics, fire arms, . Knives and box cutters are not on that list and have been returned to people upon discharge. Honestly I've never even questioned it but now Im gonna have to ask my cop friends. If anyone has a clear understanding of the laws I would love to know. I personnaly carry my Buck knife folder on my belt regularly. I have never had a problem.

I carry my knife clipped to my right pocket with the knife in the pocket. I carry one every single day for work as well as a leatherman charge in a belt sheath. I use both tools every day and that is exactly what they are to me...tools.

I've become a knife collector over the years and have a decent selection so sometimes it varies which knife I carry and most of the time I'm carrying at least one knife at all times, not just while I'm at work. Although I've never had a problem, I do get a little paranoid about other people seeing the clip while I'm out in public so I will sometimes drop it down into my pocket as to not draw attention. I'd hate to have a "concerned citizen" contact authorities on me because of something silly like that. Sheeple will be sheeple after all