mp123

using kerosene to clean guns

I don't have the patience to clean off all the "grit" in all the tight areas and in reality it seems like

it can't be done unless you flush it our with something or be able to soak it in something.

Using WD-40 out of can gets mixed results.

I spray as much on the wall as I spray on the parts.

Seems like it would be a good idea to flush out all the stuff with kerosene

and re-lube with rem oil afterwards.

Kerosene is kind of greasy to start with and when it dries is does

not give it that pale dull look that you would get if you used gasoline (which is never a good idea).

I have used gun scrubber and an ultrasonic cleaner. Gun scrubber is definitely cheaper and easier. Field strip and spray.

The ultrasonic cleaner works awesome however keep a couple of things in mind. Putting the slide in will create a ton more work for you. The solution will get into the firing pin area, then you have to dry it out. Not to mention that night sights may be fried by the ultrasonic cleaning action. Several people warned me of this so I never tried it first hand. I only put the receiver with the grips removed in.

Personally I would not use kerosene since its very flammable and will leave a very oily residue on your hands, gun case, etc. Kerosene is a fuel, not a gun cleaner.

Kerosene does work pretty good getting cosmoline and floating crud out of firearms that have been in storage for a long time. Used it on a few Garands and an SKS. But there are better and much safer chemicals to use for general cleaning.

Again, be careful and use outside. Not in a drought stricken area with high grass. Keeping a fire extinguisher near by is a good idea if you choose to go that route.

Why not try a some dechlorinated brake cleaner

Yep. I buy it by the case. It's cheap and it works great on really cruddy guns. I rarely clean my .22s. They only get cleaned when they get so gunky they won't run anymore. First thing I hit them w. is brake cleaner.

Always remember to lube after, because brake cleaner strips away everything.

Kerosene can be used to clean your firearms. It is not a flammable liquid like gasoline. It is a combustible liquid for those who might be interested. Meaning it would have to be over 100 degrees fahrenheit to have it flash with an iignition source. I like using gun scrubber, but that is indeed more expensive and doesn't last that long. Make sure you oil area's correctly after stripping oils from a gun with agents like gun scrubber, kerosene and the like.

As a member of a Army pistol team in the 60's, we used to keep a .50 cal ammo can with kerosene for cleaning weapons . A stiff parts brush,the can of kerosene and you could get rid of the hard crud that formed in the pistol from a 2700. I still use the method for detailed cleaning followed by a rubdown with a good gun oi

Dave Zawickl.

I use a variation of Ed's Red (kero and other stuff) on my handguns and rifles. Cleans 'em real nice.

Here is the secret formula:

1 part deodorized Kerosene

1 part ATF lll or llll

1 part mineral spirits (Varsol)

Mix it all up. It looks all pretty in the jar and is cheap too.

I leave out the acetone and lanolin but it still works great. Kerosene and min.spirits; get em at Home Depot. The ATF get at auto parts store. Google "Ed's Red" for all the details.

Not to try and start a heated debate, but I can't seem to understand why anyone would go through the hassle of mixing up a home brew concoction to clean their guns when there are a ton of products specifically already made to do the job. For the price of a pack of smokes you can buy something already formulated. Is their some advantage to a home brew that I'm missing?

Not to try and start a heated debate, but I can't seem to understand why anyone would go through the hassle of mixing up a home brew concoction to clean their guns when there are a ton of products specifically already made to do the job. For the price of a pack of smokes you can buy something already formulated. Is their some advantage to a home brew that I'm missing?

The advantage?...$$$. Dollars per gallon compared to dollars per ounce. Plus, things like know how to 'make your own' is what preppers love to learn about. I read about Ed's Red some time ago and printed it out for future use. Now that the economy has really tighten up on me, I am looking at spending about $10 dollars to make some cleaning solution. Some to use, some to store for a rainy day.

http://www.handloads...efault.asp?id=9

Geeze, sounds like something that will go good with a shot of Irish Whisky...lol. ;)

The advantage?...$$$. Dollars per gallon compared to dollars per ounce. Plus, things like know how to 'make your own' is what preppers love to learn about. I read about Ed's Red some time ago and printed it out for future use. Now that the economy has really tighten up on me, I am looking at spending about $10 dollars to make some cleaning solution. Some to use, some to store for a rainy day.

http://www.handloads...efault.asp?id=9

I use a variation of Ed's Red (kero and other stuff) on my handguns and rifles. Cleans 'em real nice.

Here is the secret formula:

1 part deodorized Kerosene

1 part ATF lll or llll

1 part mineral spirits (Varsol)

Mix it all up. It looks all pretty in the jar and is cheap too.

I leave out the acetone and lanolin but it still works great. Kerosene and min.spirits; get em at Home Depot. The ATF get at auto parts store. Google "Ed's Red" for all the details.

Wtf is deodorized kerosene? I saw this Eds Red formula yrs ago but I'm lucky my wife doesnt mind the Hoppes smell from the basement so never bothered making it. I might now tho just for fun as all the fixens are in the garage, some for yrs. I wonder if the ATF has to be the III/IIII, whats so special about that?

The field manual for the Soviet Army specified diesel fuel (kerosene) and motor oil as suitable field cleaning and lube agents.

Personally, I use Hoppes and Safariland CLP as cleaners, Butches Boreshine as a solvent, and Slip 2000 EWL for lube. The way I see it, I have spent tens of thousands of $$$$$ on my firearms; I can afford to spend a couple more $$ to clean them like it is 2012, not 1952.

Wtf is deodorized kerosene? I saw this Eds Red formula yrs ago but I'm lucky my wife doesnt mind the Hoppes smell from the basement so never bothered making it. I might now tho just for fun as all the fixens are in the garage, some for yrs. I wonder if the ATF has to be the III/IIII, whats so special about that?

Deodorized kerosene won't smell up the house, so the wife won't mind this concoction. Even so, I like to do the cleaning in my shop. I use ATF4, but check out the official formula from the Ed's Red website. BTW, if you want to add the anhydrous lanolin, it can be found on Amazon.