Texas Shooter

Help me choose a spotting scope

I'm looking at getting a spotting scope for 100 and 200 yard shooting of 22LR, 7.62x54 and .223. I've been looking at two scopes in particular, and have seen both positive and negative reviews of both. Does anyone have any experience with either of these scopes? I'm open to other brands, too. I would like to keep the budget at $200ish, but could be talked into $400ish (buy once, cry once). Also on the off-chance I ever get a hunting rifle, would these be decent out to 300 yards (the max at Cherry Ridge)?

Bushnell Legend Ultra HD 20-60x80

Konus 7120 20-60x80

Dude, you can get a decent scope for a lot less than that. If I was going to buy a scope that expensive, it better see the boobs on some martian chick on Mars...

Check Sportsmans Guide and some others...

Sent from John's iPad 2 via Tapatalk HD

Typos courtesy Apple...

I was also looking at a Konus, the 7116 15x-45x65mm. I figure the smaller objective might have better resolution. But that's just a guess, I haven't looked through either.

Last week at the range a shooter let me check out his Leupold. Very clear .308 bullet holes at two hundred yds. Of course, I could buy a couple of rifles for what it cost.

I'm not saying they are not good scopes. But you can get scopes with nice glass for a lot less. I'd rather put that money into something for the actual weapon. I've been using an $80 scope for years and it sees the holes just fine. So if you want to spend 100's on just a spotting scope, go for it. It's not like we are scouts peeping for a sniper target. In my humble opinion of course. But that's just me... Konus is nice, but the Bushnell is way too much.

John.your wrong....

The konus is good glass for the price point...out.to.300 yds maybe not.....

I like my Konus to two hundred ...I would also think about a good stand....

Nick,

I feel the same way as you do. That's why I posted (what seems like a long time ago) about my Nikon ED 25-75x Fieldscope with 82mm front objective. Curiously, not a single reply to my suggestion. Seems folks here are more concerned with getting the cheapest (and then upgrading or replacing) than buying ONCE and having a quality optic to begin with. My Leica zoom binoculars (8x and 12x) are worth more now than when I bought them and they feature a lifetime warranty. If I drop them out of a plane and can find a piece of the wreckage, they'll replace the optic!

YES, you indeed get what you pay for!

Dave

Hey, to each their own... Shoot me for being frugal.... I'm sorry, but paying thousands for something just to see holes in paper 300 yards or less is nuts.

Here is the Bushnell on sale with a $50 mail in rebate... Free Shipping to boot...

http://www.bhphotovi...D_3_1_80mm.html

Price:$439.95

• Free Item Included:
  • Stedi-Stock SSSB Stedi-Stock Shoulder Brace ($26.95 Value)

• Mail In Rebate -$50.00 (see details)
    offer ends OCT 31 '12
  • Price after Rebate: $389.95
  • Free Shipping

I have seen both the Bushnell and the Konya spotting scopes mentioned here. IMHO they're nice for the money, BUT not quite the same as the Nikon which compares to Leica and Zeiss scopes costing thousands. Contrast, clarity, heavy-duty construction, edge-to-edge sharpness during the entire zoom range, and most importantly eye relief (I'm an eyeglasses wearer) are the major differences between a $400.00 scope and a $1,500.00 scope. My scope can see .22 holes all day long no matter the lighting condition, in all weather. I use my scope for everything: shooting, birding, nature observation, the whole ball game. My needs are greater than the average target shooter looking for holes @ 100 yards. That's why I spent the money I did, so I wouldn't be disappointed later.

Some scopes let you see the target. Some scopes let you see the holes in the target in good weather/light. Some scopes let you see the tiny holes in the target at greater distances and in bad weather/light. My scope lets me see the surface texture OF THE TARGET PAPER!

Whatever anybody chooses as far as optics are concerned is obviously their choice.......but I never heard anyone complain that they spent too much! Why is THAT?

Just food for thought and my 2 cents' worth. Buy the best you can afford and you'll never be sorry you did.

Have a great rest of the summer!

Dave

OK, I'll give you that Dave for the multiple use part. But what befuddles me here is people will try to get the best rifle scope for cheap money rather than put the best optics on a rifle. Quite frankly, IF it was just for shooting, I'd rather invest in a top of the line Leupold with a 24 power or something similar and go that direction. So to me, spending a few G's for a good rifle scope makes better sense.

That's why the scope on my Rem 700 PPS is worth a helluva lot more than the dang rifle. So when you tell me you'll spend a G or more for a spotting scope and put a 400 dollar rifle scope on your rifle, that just blows my mind.

I have seen both the Bushnell and the Konya spotting scopes mentioned here. IMHO they're nice for the money, BUT not quite the same as the Nikon which compares to Leica and Zeiss scopes costing thousands. Contrast, clarity, heavy-duty construction, edge-to-edge sharpness during the entire zoom range, and most importantly eye relief (I'm an eyeglasses wearer) are the major differences between a $400.00 scope and a $1,500.00 scope. My scope can see .22 holes all day long no matter the lighting condition, in all weather. I use my scope for everything: shooting, birding, nature observation, the whole ball game. My needs are greater than the average target shooter looking for holes @ 100 yards. That's why I spent the money I did, so I wouldn't be disappointed later.

Some scopes let you see the target. Some scopes let you see the holes in the target in good weather/light. Some scopes let you see the tiny holes in the target at greater distances and in bad weather/light. My scope lets me see the surface texture OF THE TARGET PAPER!

Whatever anybody chooses as far as optics are concerned is obviously their choice.......but I never heard anyone complain that they spent too much! Why is THAT?

Just food for thought and my 2 cents' worth. Buy the best you can afford and you'll never be sorry you did.

Have a great rest of the summer!

Dave

The only rifle scope I own is for my .22 Henry (actually my Son's). It's a Nikon 4-9 Zoom with 40mm objective. The nicest, biggest I could fit on there without any modifications to the gun itself (since it is his, not mine). At the time, the scope cost the same as the rifle! And that was just for a plinker! So I'm agreeing with you about a scope on a great rifle!

I shoot lots of black powder at 100 yards with open sights since we're not allowed to use scopes.

IF I wanted to put a scope on a bolt rifle, I'd spend more than the rifle was worth to get the best scope I could. NO sense putting a coke bottle scope on a cadillac rifle!

Dave

I hate tangents, unless they are in a good salad.. ;)

I agree on the iron... but we are talking optics... You wouldn't put irons on a sniper rifle. Kind of defeats the purpose.

I know you're joshing, but to bring it to a better light, *cough*... It's more important to see your target through good optics than it is a piece of paper.

Rifle Scope out-weighs Spotting Scope like Rock breaks Sissors... ;)

We can digress to another tangent here.........many people RELY to heavily on SCOPES when they need to learn with irons first.

That being said....*IF* you are going to spend THOUSANDS on a rifle scope

Why do that when you can find a much cheaper one.....................???? ;)

Learning windage & elevation with irons is the way to go. Easier to transfer learned knowledge over to the scope.

You'd be amazed at how many folks at the range still ask me which way to move their sights. A scope magnifies this problem, lol!

Best training for 100 yards & longer is a M-1 Garand. Once you learn the military peep, you can do anything!

I just recently took the scopes off two of my rifles to try and get better with iron sights and shooting at the two hundred yard range with my cheapo spotter was very tiring. I had to struggle to see the bullet holes (223 & 7mm) with every shot. Unless I want to always shoot with a scope, I'll have to get a spotter that can clearly see bullet holes out to 300 yards. I don't care if it's good for anything else but that much I need. I'd like to find the cheapest one that can do that. I'd give up on brightness and weatherproofness to save money.

I have the Konus, too. For the money, it's the best in category. Like the others have said, over 300 yards it's fairly useless unless you are shooting .50 BMG. If I were to take up benchrest or longer range shooting, I'd get a better spotting scope. Oh yeah, the Konus tripod sucks.

Optics are not a place to cheap-out. I always laugh inside when I see a guy w a $1000+ AR topped w. a $50 Barska or NCStar scope. :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the input. The main reason I want a spotting scope is to see where I'm hitting with my Mosin (no scope) and AR (non-magnifying optics). With my eyesight, I can't see where I'm hitting at 50 yards, and that's with splatter targets.

Does anybody have a recommendation for a stand? The Konus stand blows, we know that but has anybody upgraded?

I have this one for the Konuspot 100...

http://www.championshooters.com/store/product.php?productid=783&cat=283&page=1

If you have the Konuspot 80 this will probably suffice, but the extras that are included with the HD stand are ala carte with the reguar one...

http://www.championshooters.com/store/product.php?productid=414&cat=283&page=1

Adios,

Pizza Bob

If you are shooting from a bench you can just purchase the head and use a piece of 1" pipe with clamps and clamp it to the bench.

Does anybody have a recommendation for a stand? The Konus stand blows, we know that but has anybody upgraded?

I use a Bogen (Manfrotto) Professional Tripod with a model #3047 pan & tilt head. NO wind issues, but not something you want on your back all day long on a trail. For the range, it's hard to beat!

I think I'm down to choosing between the Bushnell Legend HD or the Leupold SX-1 Ventana 20-60x80mm. I like that the Leupold is made in USA, but the Bushnell seems to have better glass (ED) vs the Leupold (standard glass). Does anyone have any experience with the Leupold?

Go to Dick's. Buy a Simmons 20x60x20 on sale for $79.95. Take it to the range to see if it works for your needs. The tripod is a bit flimsy, but you might find value in it. If you don't like it, take it back for a refund. I tried mine yesterday and....the hot lady in the off-campus house two streets over is a shaver.

I bought the Konus 100mm from B&H Photo. I did not want to take the plunge for a Kowa off the bat. Kona is far superior but I often get a little too nutty spending $ on this sport. When, and if I get more serious I will sell the Konus and move up, but for now it serves me well. I see the 223 holes and that white board behind the target trick lights up that black circle just fine. Out of 16, 20 round groups I once got two x's in the same group, at 200 yds, which was akin to finally hitting that low slow rising line drive 300 yd golf shot. Damn that felt good.

Is anybody familiar with the Bushnell Imageview spotting scope? It seems the LCD monitor would prevent a lot of head and neck cranking to see where the holes are on the paper.

http://www.bushnell.com/products/scopes/spotting-scopes/imageview/111545/

Is anybody familiar with the Bushnell Imageview spotting scope? It seems the LCD monitor would prevent a lot of head and neck cranking to see where the holes are on the paper.

http://www.bushnell....ageview/111545/

Seems like you're paying for a camera you don't really need. Plus, could you really see .223 holes at 300 yds. on an LCD screen? At that price, I'd want 100% of the money I spent to go into the optics.

Thanks for all the input, I ended up choosing the Leupold Ventana. The thing is build pretty well and seems good from my deck. I'll post a range report soon as I can. I think I need a better tripod. The one that I got picks up a lot of vibrations.

Despite advertising themselves as an American company, the scope is built in China. Say it ain't so, Leupold!