UnrestrictedEnthusiastInVA

Apply for FID : Listing nonrelated coinhabitants

Hello everybody!

Today I went to my local PD to apply for my firearms permit

It was nothing like I read online, the fees are different, process everything. The Detective was incredible polite and gave me some forms beside the state PD forms to fill out.

My question is, is on the one form, it gives me 4 spaces to list people I live with (spouse/husband, child, child, other) including DOB's and SS's. It also includes a side note to include NON RELATED COINHABITANTS. My question is, is I live with my girlfriend, and my brother and his girlfriend.

While my brothers girlfriend will give me her information, I #1 don't have enough room on the lines to include her, and shes kind of skeptical on it. While she has no criminal record, she's only lived here a few years (I've lived here all my life), do I NEED to include her as well as my girlfriend (who only moved in last year) as well as their DOB's and SS?

Thank you for understanding and taking the time to read this,

RestrictedEnthusiast

OK, here we go again. An FPID (that's Firearms Purchaser Identification) card is needed to purchase long guns or handgun ammo in NJ. It is good for as long as you live at that address (and DL & FPID addresses must match). You can purchase as many long guns as you want, once you have this. No constraints. In order to purchase a handgun, an individual Permit to Purchase (P2P) a handgun must be obtained for each handgun you desire. You may only purchase one handgun in any 30 day period - one gun a month (OGAM) - unless you fall under and have applied for one of the exemptions (don't worry about that for now - just keep it simple).

The process for applying for your FPID and/or P2P's is the same and consists of three elements:

Element 1 - The Application - Form STS-033. This is used for both FPID's and P2P's and you may apply for both simultaneously - just check the applicable boxes at the top of the form.

Element 2 - Fingerprinting or Non-criminal Background Check - Since this is your initial application you will have to be fingerprinted. NJ now uses a third party entity (Morpho-Trak aka Sagem Morpho) to accomplish this. Your PD will give you instructions and you will have to make an appointment. There is a charge for fingerprinting - not sure exactly but it's appx $60. Subsequent applications (i.e. for P2P's) will not require fingerprinting, just the completion of form SP-212A. (Non-criminal Background Check). This form is printed on yellow paper and is only available from your PD. There is an $18 charge for the Non-criminal Background check (MO made out to NJSP / SBI Division).

Element 3 - Mental Health Background Check - Complete form SP-066. This form must be signed in the presence of the investigationg police officer or their designate.

The application and Mental health forms (STS-033 and SP-066 respectively) are available on line at the NJSP website or are available from your PD.

The FPID card is $5 and the P2P's are $2 each. The P2P's are good for 90 days, and at the discretion of your PD can be extended for another 90 days (180 days total from date of issue).

Please note that any additional forms or requirements beyond those listed above are illegal. The police are supposed to be bound by the statutes just as we, as gunowners, are - that is not always the case. If they place an additional form or requirement in the process it is up to you whether to resist/refuse or comply - in either case I'd notify the NJ2AS and let them know - they are working on getting all PD's to comply with the law.

You can apply for as many P2P's as you want - but unless you file for an exemption, you can only use one every 30 days. Do not let the PD tell you you cannot have the number of P2P's you have requested - they cannot restrict that.

That about wraps it up. Good luck.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

If it gives you 4 lines to list 4 people, how come the two unrelated people you live with will take up too much space? Kinda confused...

That information is unnecessary nonetheless. If you want to fill it out anyway, I would put down your girlfriend and your brothers girlfriend, their DOB's, and I would not give them their social security numbers. If they are, for some crazy reason, checking THEIR background checks as well..first off that's ridiculous, and secondly their backgrounds can be checked with their names. Nowadays they don't need all this info for a background check.

I wouldn't put their socials. Plus people nowadays, myself included, rarely give SS #'s out.

Maybe I didn't explain myself fully. i wasn't asking the process.

The forms they gave me to complete were was a signed affidavist swearing what my current address is, and another asking about previous addresses. The third form is a "questionarre" that ask my reason for applying for the permit, as well as my previous jobs and contact information for the last ten years, my reason for wanting a firearms permit, and everyone in my house holds information including non related inhabitants.

They only gave FOUR very small lines, but I live with six other people. (Parents - siblings) (think mother-daughter house), I have no trouble getting the information or giving it, but it seems kind of like a difficult question to ask somebody applying. I don't even know where to put the information, and I know I've read a lot online that not disclosing any information is grounds for denial. So I don't want to not put it, so I'm going to bring the last two on a seperate piece of paper and ask where to put it on the form. I already filled it out with my parents and siblings information though.

I don't nesscarially want to argue with them about what I should and shouldn't be filling out. I just want to get my FID and be over with it.

I don't nesscarially want to argue with them about what I should and shouldn't be filling out. I just want to get my FID and be over with it.

Which is why the abuse of the process will continue. They can't deny you for not complying with an illegal requirement. Fill out the required forms, print out the statute that tells them added content or forms are illegal. Clip to the required forms and turn it in. The requirements they have added are an egregious abuse of power. If there is negative feedback from the PD, schedule a meeting with the CLEO or the Mayor of your municipality. If people keep caving to their illegal demands, they'll just keep doing the same thing.

Good luck with whatever you decide. In any case contact the NJ2AS.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

What happens when I don't fill out the information they asked me too, and it just makes them angry and they put my application on the bottom of the pile every time its up? I'm not saying theres no way to fight that, or eventually get it to go through, but I'm sure they could try their hardest to deny me or extend the process much longer then it should.

Correction, one if an affidavit of residency, one is a waiver to search my background, and the third is simply entitled a Firearm Permit Application Questionarre.

I don't have any problem filling them out, or have any reason not too, I was just wondering where to put the information, and what other people do who would have difficulting obtaining said information as it seems like a really strange request.

The reason I was so confused also, is when I brought a money order for $60.25, the detective was extremeally confused on where I got the information, and gave me a letter that said besides my birth certificate and proof of address / drivers license and all nesscary forms, to just bring $50.00 even cash or money order.

I haven't turned it in yet, but I did put my reason is Target Practice, which is the reason why.

Review my post (#2) again. That is the correct and legal means of application, complete with form numbers. As I have already said, they cannot penalize you for not complying with an illegal requirement. Your scenario of punishing you by moving your application to the bottom of the pile constitutes Official Misconduct, which should be investigated by the NJSP if you file a complaint.

You do what you think you should, but nobody on here can tell you how to comply with forms that are not part of the legal process and that no one outside your municipality has seen.

I'm sorry if we sound like we are bullying you, it's just that a lot of people have expended a lot of effort to make sure that the police are made to be as responsible as they expect us to be, when it comes to legal obligations. Some PD's are not even aware that what they are doing is illegal - it's just the way it was always done and by complying you are just perpetuating the illegal process. That is why I recommended you print out the relevant statute, attach it to only those completed forms that are legal and turn it in. The PD's reaction will tell you how to proceed from there. They may refuse to accept them - ask for a supervisor, right up the CofC to the CLEO. If no satisfaction there, see the mayor. This is how things get changed.

Good luck.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

2C:58-3,f Which reads in part...

There shall be no conditions or requirements added to the form or content of the application, or required by the licensing authority for the issuance of a permit or identification card, other than those that are specifically set forth in this chapter.

If it gives you 4 lines to list 4 people, how come the two unrelated people you live with will take up too much space? Kinda confused...

That information is unnecessary nonetheless. If you want to fill it out anyway, I would put down your girlfriend and your brothers girlfriend, their DOB's, and I would not give them their social security numbers. If they are, for some crazy reason, checking THEIR background checks as well..first off that's ridiculous, and secondly their backgrounds can be checked with their names. Nowadays they don't need all this info for a background check.

I wouldn't put their socials. Plus people nowadays, myself included, rarely give SS #'s out.

I don't list my own SS# on my forms, I'm supposed to ask other people for their's? LOL

RE,

Could you scan and email me a copy of the forms. I will add your town to Operation Establish Compliance and we will do our best to get them to drop the forms so the next time you apply for permits you will not be subjected to that.

[email protected]

Bob

+100