Sign in to follow this  
TheWombat

Hollowpoint ammunition photos

Mrs Wombat's EMP 9mm doesn't seem to like Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P so we've got a few different HPs to try during our next range visit. In case anyone is interested I've posted photos below. I'll provide an update once we next get back from the range.

Left to right in 9mm

• Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P
  • Corbon 125gr +P
  • Hornady Critical Duty 135gr +P
  • Winchester Ranger Talon 124gr +P
  • Federal HST 124gr +P
  • Black Hills 115gr+P
  • Speer Gold Dot .45 ACP for comparison

DSC01812.jpg

DSC01810.jpg

DSC01809.jpg

DSC01808.jpg

DSC01811.jpg

Just from looking at the rounds I'd say the Hornady Critical Duty seems the most tapered (i.e. likely to feed most like a FMJ) with the CorBon being the least tapered (i.e. least like a FMJ) and the remaining HPs seeming to be much the same (somewhere in between the other two). At least from a visual inspection.

TheWombat

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• olight.jpg

Use Promo Code "NJGF10" for 10% Off Regular Items

• Supporting Vendors

• Latest Topics

• Similar Content

• By irwing
      Amerigeddon - New movie in some theaters starting tomorrow..

Strong support for 2nd amendment and right to bear arms.
      Saw an interview from the director..
      About a massive EMP  terrorist attack taking out the power grid, internet, phones, banking
      Civil war erupts are marshal law declared and gun confiscation takes place....
      Sounds like a great movie for every NRA supporter to watch in your theater.
      See the movie trailer on youtube     

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2366NOeOQcY
    • By TheWombat
      As mention in this thread on changing MrsWombat's EMP to a single sided safety she has had some issues with HollowPoints on her 9mm EMP. As the this is no longer about the safety I've started a new thread.

Out of the 133 Hollow Points she tried to shoot at the weekend she had over 110 Failure to Feeds and/or Light Primer Strikes. This was after 724 rounds of FMJ over the last 8 or so months without issue.

We tried a variety of Hollow Points including:
      Speer Gold Dot 9mm: 124gr +P Hollow Point Short Barrel (23611)
      Federal LE Tactical 9mm Luger: 124gr +P HST (P9HST3)
      Federal LE Tactical 9mm Luger: 124gr +P EFMJ (P9CSP1)
      Winchester Ranger Talon 9mm Luger: 124gr +P HP (RA9124TP)
      Black Hills 9mm: 115gr +P Tac-XP (D9N10)
      Corbon 9mm Luger: 125gr +P JHP (SD09125)
      Hornady Critical Duty 9mm Luger: 135gr +P FlexLock (90226)

I sent an email to Springfield Armory Warranty on Monday 3rd September evening (Labor Day), by 10:11am on the Tuesday I had a response from Springfield Armory seeking to clarify a couple of points and our contact details and by 10:27 I had received a FEDEX shipping label to return the EMP to Springfield Armory to investigate and resolve the issue.

I have to say I am very impressed. Compare to my Sig issue I have to give Springfield Armory an A+ for customer service response (so far) compared to the D- for Sig.

Will post an update once we receive the EMP back.

TheWombat
    • By TheWombat
      I'm looking to switch the ambi-safety on MrsWombat's EMP to a single-sided safety.

I've never done this before and am new to 1911s. Does anyone have experience on changing 1911 style safeties and how difficult is it? I'd probably use an Ed Brown safety however have read that you need to spend about an hour filing away on the safety? I was thinking of trying it, however another option would be to find a gunsmith.

Otherwise any recommendations on a gun-smith within 45 minutes of the Secaucus, NJ area?

thanks

TheWombat