mr_goodkat

New member looking for entry-level Over/Under

Hello all,

I appologize if this is in the wrong sections, and hopefully it can be moved if necessary!

I have been a member at CJRPC for a few years, and I mostly only use the indoor pistol range. I have shot trap and skeet with a friend of mine who is also a member there and loved it. I was shooting an old Mossberg 500 12ga pump. He is an avid bird hunter, and I'm planning on getting my hunting license to out in the field with him and see his dogs in action.

So I am looking for an entry-level shotgun, preferably an Over/Under (that seems to be the "go-to" nowadays, right?). The upper end of my price range is about $650. I could stretch that some if it's really worth it, but I don't really want to be going too high for my first shotgun.

I went with a friend to Cabela's for the first time this weekend and was checking out what they had. I really liked the CZ-USA Upland Ultralight O/U 12ga. The light weight would be great for all-day carrying in the field, but I'm concerned with the added recoil on such a light gun. Also I am not familiar with CZ-USA very much. Of course they had O/Us from Browning, Benelli, Remington, etc. which have a great reputation but I am not prepared to spend that much money just yet!

Also, could anyone recommend any gun stores in the Middlesex/Monmouth area? Ordering online isn't necessarily out the question - nor is ordering from a local FFL, but to be completely honest I am willing to pass up an "amazing" deal just to eliminate the hassle of something like that and just pick it up in person.

Cliff notes: new member in central NJ looking for an entry-level O/U 12ga, looking to spend up to ~$650. Would prefer to buy one off-the-shelf in person.

Thanks!

I own and use a CZ Mallard for trap. I love it. I only paid around $500 and change for it. I really like shooting with it and recoil isn't that bad with game loads.

I keep wanting to get a higher end O/U but I'm already shooting 19-21 per rounds. I don't think a $2000 browning or beretta is going to make that much better.

Maybe one day, just to have one for the looks and how beautiful they are, but I'm happy with my CZ Mallard.

By the way, I'm 6'2" and almost 400lbs. Lol. So recoil doesnt phase me much, but even so, I don't think you would have a problem unless you are recoil sensitive.

One gripe I have with the CZ Mallard is the double trigger. I thought I'd like it, but I don't that much. I'm used to it, so I tolerate it, but if I had a chance, I would get the next level up with single select trigger.

Also, CZ customer service is excellent. I had a problem when shooting from the top barrel, it would be hard to open up. So hard that I had to slam it over my knee a few times. You could see the drag marks from the firing pin.

I called cz. They said it was a firing pin that was to long. They sent me a label, and I got it back in my hands less than 2 weeks.

Since you belong to CJ, stop by Pinelands Sporting goods around the corner. They have some nice used doubles. If you like side-by-sides, they have several Stevens 311's in the $300 range. They are nice , durable guns, and I believe they are the last of the American built SXS. I have one in 20 gauge and it's great for pheasant and chukar.

CZ makes nice doubles! Several friends of mine have them & use them to quite good clay-smashing ability.

A used double without hardly a scratch on it is a better value than a brand-new one, in most cases. Lunker is correct. You can save hundreds and put that money towards shells & birds!

Check out the Stoeger Condor line of O/U shotguns as well. Those are well made, Turkish shotguns (CZs shotguns are also made in Turkey). For a budget of $650, you can get the Condor Supreme, which comes with a high polish blue finish, nice wood, ejectors, and a selective trigger. Nice upgrades for not a lot more over the base models. I just shot one this weekend in 20-gauge and was very impressed!

The CZ redhead deluxe models look nice as well, but they'll cost you a little more.

Check out the Stoeger Condor line of O/U shotguns as well. Those are well made, Turkish shotguns (CZs shotguns are also made in Turkey). For a budget of $650, you can get the Condor Supreme, which comes with a high polish blue finish, nice wood, ejectors, and a selective trigger. Nice upgrades for not a lot more over the base models. I just shot one this weekend in 20-gauge and was very impressed!

The CZ redhead deluxe models look nice as well, but they'll cost you a little more.

The Stoegers are nice looking guns, but seem to have either design or quality control issues. I have read many accounts of them having firing pin breakages and problems after surprisingly low round counts. It is possible that this is with older models and that the problem has been resolved. Please read up on them to make an informed decision. www.shotgunworld.com is a good resource.

before you buy one try and shoot someones. its a matter of personal preference in how they feel in your hand. I like the feel of a wide forend such as one on a side by side. they few o/u i handled felt to narrow in my hand. I shot them well I just didnt care for how they felt in my hands. I also care for double triggered guns when it comes to doubles.

the cz guns are nice. someone mentioned the stevens 311. good gun and good value. if you get your hands on a stevens 311 the 28" barel versins are choked m/f and the 26" barreled versions are choked ic/m. im lookin for a stevens in 20 or 16 with 26" barrels.

The biggest concern should be if the gun fits you. You would need to shoulder the gun and be sure it fits well before deciding on what to buy. For instance, my wife like the fit of the browning cynergy but yet it doesn't shoulder well for me. The citori's fit me well but not her.

I would see what fits, try some out and go from there. Also, if your shooting trap or skeet, I wouldn't go any smaller than 28" barrels.

Thanks for all the info everyone, I really appreciate it! I've shot a side-by-side and a friend's O/U (I believe it was a Browning), and I found that I am much more comfortable with the O/U than the side-by-side, so I think I'm going to stick to those.

I just opened up www.shotgunworld.com so it looks like I have a lot of reading to do. Thanks for the link this looks very helpful!

Thanks for all the info everyone, I really appreciate it! I've shot a side-by-side and a friend's O/U (I believe it was a Browning), and I found that I am much more comfortable with the O/U than the side-by-side, so I think I'm going to stick to those.

I just opened up www.shotgunworld.com so it looks like I have a lot of reading to do. Thanks for the link this looks very helpful!

There is a forum section just for Huglo shotguns if you are interested in the CZ:

http://www.shotgunwo...3288ee457d8384d

There is a forum section just for Huglo shotguns if you are interested in the CZ:

http://www.shotgunwo...3288ee457d8384d

Excellent!

My interest in the CZ was sparked purely because it was just about the only "affordable" shotgun they had at Cabela's. I read some reviews of it on my phone at the counter and was surprised at how many people seemed to like it! I would have bought it that day (I never make expensive purchases spur of the moment but felt like I should treat myself!) but their NICS system was down, and there was a 4 hour wait at that point :o so I left empty handed.

Generally I like to do exhaustive research before committing to a purchase of any sort, but it's difficult to get into an entirely new aspect of a hobby... for instance I know a lot about parts for my car so I know where to start when looking for things like that, but I was completely lost when it came to shotguns! Luckily Google directed me to this forum and it seems great!

I have spent a lot of time on SGW and it's a great site. They will all tell you to see if you could shoot and/or shoulder the shotgun prior to buying. If you come down to the Thursday morning trap shoot, I bet there will be somebody with a CZ you can try out. Also, there is a trap shoot on the last and first sunday of the month. Good bunch of guys.

I'm going to check out the Sunday trap this weekend. I emailed one of the guys on the website and he said it's open to beginners. I'm pretty excited. I only shot trap once but it was a lot of fun. Hopefully I'll be able to find something that "fits" me well!

I own a CZ 912 - no problems recommending the CZ brand. There are also a ton of other great brands, so I echo the advice to get the one that fits best.

Also, check out a book by Chris Batha called Breaking Clays. It trumps all online research.

Good luck & enjoy - it's a fun sport.

I'm going to check out the Sunday trap this weekend. I emailed one of the guys on the website and he said it's open to beginners. I'm pretty excited. I only shot trap once but it was a lot of fun. Hopefully I'll be able to find something that "fits" me well!

I'm also planning on shooting trap this Sunday, I got the check out on the machines last month but haven't been able to make it out there yet to shoot. Like you i'm also a beginner, but Mike the guy who does the check out said it's very beginner friendly. Hope to see you out there. :)

"See bird shoot bird"! Chris Batha famous words .. You'll have fun the guys are all knowledgable there. Mike is a nice guy as well.

A modified choke is normally what you want to use . It's almost like shooting five stand sporting clays instead of trap.

Be safe and have fun!

Vince

I actually bought a CZ Canvasback 28" 12 gauge last weekend. Shot some rounds off, no issues, very pelased with it for the price. Seems to be a great o/u.

It runs b/w $700 and $780. If you're still looking and interested I can steer you in the right direction to acquire one for around $700 if you can still stretch upwards. It's a little nicer than the lower models for not that much more in price. PM if interested.

I actually bought a CZ Canvasback 28" 12 gauge last weekend. Shot some rounds off, no issues, very pelased with it for the price. Seems to be a great o/u.

It runs b/w $700 and $780. If you're still looking and interested I can steer you in the right direction to acquire one for around $700 if you can still stretch upwards. It's a little nicer than the lower models for not that much more in price. PM if interested.

Could you elaborate on what you mean by "nicer" than the lower models? I'm curious what other features there are.

When compared to the mallard, the Canvasback has a SST instead of a double trigger. The wood, lines and general craftsmanship on the Canvasback are superior to the mallard and upland in my opinion.

There are some additional differences between the three models. That info can be obtained by looking them up and comparing on CZ's website which is quite informative.

All that said, go with your gut and whatever feels good to you, OP.

I'll check out their website to see the fine details, thanks. Just FYI - the Upland Ultralight has a SST as well.

But I'll have to agree, the Canvassback certainly is a handsome firearm!

I only said when compared to the malard, the canvasback has a SST. That did it for me with that model. Just not a big fan of those.

Not many major differences bw the upland and canvasback.

I actually was trying to the Redhead which is really nice too; has some stainless steel on it and auto ejectors. I couldn't get it from the guy in the same time frame, and would have been another $170 on top so I decided Canvasback.

Check them all out if you can and I bet you'll have a love for one of them. Good luck.

I only said when compared to the malard, the canvasback has a SST. That did it for me with that model. Just not a big fan of those.

Not many major differences bw the upland and canvasback.

I actually was trying to the Redhead which is really nice too; has some stainless steel on it and auto ejectors. I couldn't get it from the guy in the same time frame, and would have been another $170 on top so I decided Canvasback.

Check them all out if you can and I bet you'll have a love for one of them. Good luck.

Guess reading comprehension isn't my strong suit... :) I'm looking forward to Sunday and checking out what kinds of shotguns everyone has. I still have some research to do! Thanks for all the info.

Hey all, just wanted to provide an update on my search. I ended up picking up a Stevens/Savage Arms "512 Gold Wing" 12GA Over/Under with 28" barrel. It's not the fanciest thing in the world, but it should serve my purposes for the time being.

I checked out a number of Citori's that I really liked, but just couldn't lay down the cash for one at this very moment. And I want to make sure I'm going to stick with clay shooting (possibly hunting down the road) before I make a very big investment.

I have 125 shells through it now in trap shooting last week ... shot my personal best of 21 with it as well. I'm interested in seeing how it holds up, as I'm planning on shooting trap fairly often hopefully!