chumo00

Gun shop has my handguns booked in

I recently took a collection a guns to a local NJ dealer to sell on consignment, About 7 handguns were a low value but I was informed he could take them to a gun buyback for me and get about $50-75 each fro them. I agreed and let him book these guns in along with a bunch other that he will sell. Last week I was informed He may not be able to participate in the buy back program because he was a dealer. He did not really say where that leaves me but implied that once they are booked in I cant get them back to drop off myself. So if it turns out he cant then what are my options? I feel if that is the case it was his mistake when we agreed he was booking these in to save me the trouble of taking them myself. He claimed he done this before and now the story has changed to if I want them back I need to burn 7 P2Ps and pay him $35 each? Help me out here guys not sure how to proceed. Somehow I feel like I got screwed and just want him to unbook those so I can drop them off myself. thanks

If it is his mistake, there is no law I know of that prevents him from eating the cost of the NICS instead of you. Also, the transfer cost is made up by the dealer. He could do it for free, and should. That said, you will need to file for seven handgun permits and file the multiple transfer exemption paperwork so you can get them back all at once. If he is at all honorable, he would pay the $14 for them as well.

Heres the gun buyback program I just missed in my area.

$100 for operational handguns, $75 for rifles, shotguns and non-working guns and $25 for BB guns and paintball guns.

I am out $700 because of this, can someone contact me about legal advice This must be illegal to book guns with promise of taking to a buyback then blowing it off like its no big deal he messed up. Really hope this is not the case but I was directed to him buy the sponsor listing on this website so If an admin to contact me to help mediate id be grateful. I just want advice on what would be fair.

Or.. being that you where going to get rid of them anyways.. you can sell them and the buyer can pick them up from the dealer directly using their own Pistol permits..

What kind of guns where they?

Old handguns not worth much but def perfect for the buyback program.

$35?

I guess he is charging a transfer fee for every gun. If you fill out a multiple purchase exemption, you will only need to pay one nics fee.

I would like to know what dealer this is, as it doesn't sound like he is doing the right thing?

No good deed goes unpunished.

It was his mistake, but his intent was not to defraud. Once he accepted the guns, whether for this gun buyback or for consignment, they are entered in his bound book and they will require a P2P even to have them returned to the owner.

I would leave them there and let him try to sell them, or have a sit-down with him and see where the costs of getting them back can be mitigated. He had good intentions and got caught-up in a gun buyback snafu (another reason not to like gun buybacks).

Good luck.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I'm gonna guess that you have nothing in writing from him regarding the buy-back. If so, it's your word against his. If I'm the judge in small claims court, my biggest question is why you would take them to a dealer to turn them in when you could just as easily have done it yourself. Not saying I don't believe you, but I think your case is weak unless you have the whole deal in writing.

I would advise you to go talk to this guy and try to work something out. He clearly made a mistake. There's a good chance he will work with you to fix the problem. No sense in assuming the worst without at least giving this guy the opportunity to make it right.

...I would advise you to go talk to this guy and try to work something out. He clearly made a mistake. There's a good chance he will work with you to fix the problem. No sense in assuming the worst without at least giving this guy the opportunity to make it right.

Especially if he knows you're prepared to out him here for his "less than customer-friendly" $35 per gun policy

Ehhhhh, sounds to me he is trying to pull a fast one. He'll come up with the story saying you need to pay 35 per gun to get them back, to only get 50$ on a buy back, hoping that you'll say " forget it, just keep em". Then he turns and sells them making big profit.

As far as I know all gun buy backs are anonymous.

I am not looking to out anyone just wanted advice. He seems like a very honest person who prob made a mistake. Yes we very clearly talked about each gun as booked them in and there were 2 piles. The guns he could sell, and the guns he would take to the buyback.(He went on about they just had one so have to wait till the next one, implying this was common and he done it) This was discussed over 7 times and took 2 hours to book them all. As far as needing in writing everything he said my response is are you Freaking kidding me? Some guns needed shop work, some didn't, some were for buy back rest for sale. He gave me a copy of the list and we agreed on a course of action. Now 3 weeks later we touch base and things seemed to have changed so I came here to see what I should do. What a fair way forward would be so I can discuss it with him and gets this resolved fairly. I am not looking to out, embarrass, or damage his reputation. I assume other gun dealer are reading this so everything happened the way I said and what would a fair compensation be? thanks

Sounds to me like the "pile" going to the buy-back program were/are POS's that a Dealer thought he couldn't even sell, so good luck having said Dealer try to sell them. It might take him a while, but it could be done. In the case as you present it, it sounds to me like a get-rich-quick scheme that back-fired. So you're BOTH to blame!

Instead of you having to deal with OGAM exemption, P2P's or anything else, just take some kind of median value per gun out in trade for ammo or something else you can use. Hopefully you're dealing with a STORE that sells things instead of just a YOH dealin' guns out of his kitchen or something....

That way, he gets you ammo at his dealer price, and it's a little easier for him to take the "hit" along with you.

This "collection" isn't a bunch of stuff from a group of Gang Bangers that upgraded, right?

What guns are these going for $50 a pop? are they operable? anything intersting? Tell us what they are and maybe we can buy them from him as the consignment holder.

Cheap guns can be and often are neat/fun....no reason why someone wouldn't buy them if they're in operable condition.

Shit i would buy onbe just to burn a permit if i didn't have something else lined up

To me it sounds like he already damaged his reputation by not knowing how the buyback program works. If he is a dealer he should know. Either that or he is trying to pull a fast one on you and take your money.

Why should a gun dealer have any more of an idea how a buyback works than your average civilian? You've got a disconnect in your logic.

Its was a large collection of over 30 guns and rifles left to me by a family member. I sold a few on here but it was uncomfortable because I don't know much about guns. So I asked around on forum and picked a sponsor vendor to sell rest on consignment. I thought that was a safe and prudent thing to do to avoid getting ripped of or screwing someone I was selling to. He took the time and went over all the weapons with me and everything seemed fine till 3 days ago when this came up. I let it go till I had time to ask your advice and speak to him tomorrow. Honestly I was speechless that he just acted like no biggie and moved on. The junk guns are small palm like conceal carries in the 22 caliber I think. Most of them are size on hand or smaller..Kinda cool but really old and not in best shape but could prob fire a round. $75 to $100 each seemed fine to me and to be honest I am a Gun Noob I read reviews and picked a dealer everyone on this forum knows. I even told him this and his help was worth the 15% commission to me so I didn't get screwed.

Why should a gun dealer have any more of an idea how a buyback works than your average civilian? You've got a disconnect in your logic.

No disconnect here. Sounds like you're not following my logic. Obviously the dealer took the guns in and offered to submit them to the buyback but he didn't know how the buyback works. Why would a dealer offer something not knowing how it works? If it was an honest dealer he would offer a fair option to the seller to get the guns back ($15 nics fee as opposed to $35 per gun)

Now he wants to charge the poor guy $35 per gun. To me it sounds like dealer figured that this guy doesn't know about gun laws and will just give them away because it won't be worth to pay his fees and submit paperwork.

it's a rip off.

It sounds like a lot of these are what could be termed "Saturday Night Specials". Back in the 20's and 30's guns like the OP described were given away as tobacco premiums. Even named ones, like Iver Johnson are no big deal. Little to no collector value. You're demonizing this dealer because he put forth a plan that took, essentially worthless guns and would have turned them into $75 - $100 per gun via the buyback.

I'd just leave them in his possession and wait for another buyback. As Alec said, these are supposed to be anonymous (although not so much if the AG guidelines are followed - but that's another story), so if the buyback is not local to his store, who's to know? Once he suggested the idea, you should have done it on your own and only consigned the saleable arms to the dealer. I really see no fault attached to the dealer - not to say he shouldn't try to help you out, the $35 per gun does sound a little fishy, but I'd like to hear his side of the story - thus far we've only heard yours.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

No disconnect here. Sounds like you're not following my logic. Obviously the dealer took the guns in and offered to submit them to the buyback but he didn't know how the buyback works. Why would a dealer offer something not knowing how it works? If it was an honest dealer he would offer a fair option to the seller to get the guns back ($15 nics fee as opposed to $35 per gun)

Now he wants to charge the poor guy $35 per gun. To me it sounds like dealer figured that this guy doesn't know about gun laws and will just give them away because it won't be worth to pay his fees and submit paperwork.

it's a rip off.

The extent of the dealer's knowledge was probably pretty much the same as any man-on-the-street. Gun buyback = $$$ for basically garbage. He put it forth to the OP as an alternative, knowing that some of the guns proffered were valueless. Yes, I'm guessing at what he knew, but I am erring on the side of caution - giving the dealer the benefit of the doubt.

I think your position is much more of a stretch in assuming that he knew exactly how the buyback worked and used it as an enticement to get the OP to part with his guns so he could defraud him. Your stated position of "It's a ripoff" is potentially libelous should the dealer be named.

JMHO

Adios,

Pizza Bob

It sounds like a lot of these are what could be termed "Saturday Night Specials". Back in the 20's and 30's guns like the OP described were given away as tobacco premiums. Even named ones, like Iver Johnson are no big deal. Little to no collector value. You're demonizing this dealer because he put forth a plan that took, essentially worthless guns and would have turned them into $75 - $100 per gun via the buyback.

I'd just leave them in his possession and wait for another buyback. As Alec said, these are supposed to be anonymous (although not so much if the AG guidelines are followed - but that's another story), so if the buyback is not local to his store, who's to know? Once he suggested the idea, you should have done it on your own and only consigned the saleable arms to the dealer. I really see no fault attached to the dealer - not to say he shouldn't try to help you out, the $35 per gun does sound a little fishy, but I'd like to hear his side of the story - thus far we've only heard yours.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

How am I demonizing this dealer? I explained what happened the way it happened and asked for advice.. Not sure where you are coming from...I just want fair options to fix this..Like (A),(B),©, etc to find a fair solution. You are offering nothing.