raz-0

Whining about scores, electronic scoring, and online squadding, and manpower shortages - CJ edition.

I am going to take a crack at designing a stage. When it is done how do we get someone to look at it for approval or help with ideas? I am not going to call anyone out but everyone should be taping, painting or helping score each time it's needed, that's just part of the match the same as shooting The only time people shouldn't be doing so is when they are in the hole or on deck. The people that don't do anything know who they are and seem to be the same people weekend after weekend even when TAPERS is yelled 2 feet away from them!!

I was amazed at OBRAMS how everyone that was there helped build stages and they were done fast, its just another way to get to know some more people. If just a few people would get up before the match and help the workload would be spread out and no one would get swamped doing to much. Breaking down the last stage you shoot is the least that one could do. If you shoot first and can't hang afterwards or don't want to just don't make a habit of it and make sure you did your part before and during the match. It is just the right thing to do!!!

email it to matt to look over. or I would love to look over it.

Thanks to everyone who has shown interest in the thread or via pm.

I appreciate it, and the more volunteers, the less anyone will get stuck doing it every single month. Unless you like that.

As for originality, don't worry about it. The most important thing is that the odds of your tired ass idea being similar to my tired ass idea is low. If one person is doing to much, that's hard to avoid, and that makes thing boring and repetitive.

In general, I usually either start with a skill I need to practice (a perk of designing and building, you know that at least one stage can be good practice), or pick one gimmick, dedicate no more than 1/3 of hits to it, and throw targets around it to make a stage.

Also keep an archive of your stages. Worst case you repeat an old one if you are tapped. The stages you design early though will come in useful later if you are hard up for an idea. You just recycle one of them and fix all the mistakes you learned from. Most of the time you'll wind up with something way different.

To make it good, think about how it flows, make it differentiate classes, and make sure there are choices to argue over (even if they seem stupid).

So........When will the scores be up?

(Sorry, I just had to.)

I really do appreciate the work that everyone does for CJ and OB. The current match directors have been around for longer than any other group that we have had before. Burnout is rampant in this sport because so few do so much. I was never involved in the actual match but I would shoot in 3-4 matches a month and be there 2 hours before and 1 hour after or so for every match to help build, tear down and even dabled in design before I burned out and took years off.

Matt, Vlad, Dave and Jim. Thank You!

Yes, thanks to the people that help make this all happen, and that includes the people that RO for us. They get to stand out in that sun all day long, once in awhile they get to shoot. Without them we wouldn't be doing anything.

Darn trying to catch up again, been way too busy myself. I do know I will be working out a few things and see if I can get in to helping with stage design in the next few months. I do try and RO every match I shoot except the late OB match being I was working on very little sleep that week but that's not the norm for me.

I do have a few things cooking that may free up a lot of my time and give me more time by April next year, and if that all works out and keeps on track, I'll be able to help out even more, pre and post match stuff. Matt I'll keep you posted as things line up, I'd really like to help out more than I do right now.

OK, time to resurect and old thread.

If everyone that shoots USPSA on a semi regular basis and has done so for say two years would commit to drawing up ONE stage a year we would be hard pressed to use them all. Think about it, we have about 120 semi regular shooters between OB and CJ. If you all draw and submit ONE stage a year, we will have 5x the stages we can use. If everyone that shoots our maches would leave home an hour earlier and work at the match to build it and stay 30 minutes after to tear down we sould have the matches built sooner and be home sooner.

Do not worry about being original. It is highly ulikely given the number of allowed hits and the size of the pits that you won't duplicate some portion of a stage, so what. I have been an MD for 15 years and a stage designer for about 16. Some of my best efforts have been showing up and throwing a stage togethere on the fly, I've told Matt, 28 rounds, no disappearing, 4 steel and named it whatever. This worls for me and it could work for you. Sometimes trying to put is all on paper and then translating it to an on the ground stage is the problem, so, don't. Just show up with a number of targets and hits and a name. Build it and then sketch it out.

But I can tell you all that unless we start getting a lot more stage designs and more stage builders you are going to see a decline in the quality of the matches you shoot. This is a VOLUNTEER SPORT so get up and start volunteering! The hard work has been done, we have the ranges, the clubs, the props and the crowd. All you need to do is to maintain the momentum.

I'll bump it for some views. 

As a note, I've officially bowed out of being one of the match directors for CJ. November's match was the last straw in terms of pulling teeth to get get stages, showing up to little or no help in the morning, and having people bitch at me for my effort. 

• Sad 1

I'll bump it for some views. 

As a note, I've officially bowed out of being one of the match directors for CJ. November's match was the last straw in terms of pulling teeth to get get stages, showing up to little or no help in the morning, and having people **** at me for my effort. 

As I told Vlad after that match, I'm sorry that I'm unable to commit to a higher level of participation.  I know I started out as gangbusters in this deal and at the time I meant it.  Then my one son found a new baseball team and started playing a VERY advanced schedule (they are MLB scouted) and Andrew, who's sport this was supposed to be for, got a job and worked all summer.  So between being involved in baseball and not having a kid who is supposed to be shooting I attended far to few events this summer/fall.

I know that I don't necessarily owe you an explanation, nor did you make your decision because of me, but I feel like a little bit of an ass for making such a big deal about participating, thanking everyone for all of their efforts for the rallies, and then essentially falling off the face of the USPSA earth. lol

I appreciate all that you, Vlad, Dave and Jim do in chairing these events, and I know I'm not the only one.  So, in all seriousness, a big thanks.

Come to Phillipsburg Pistol Club on the 3rd Wednesday evening each month for IDPA. I put on 6 stages. IDPA rules are that I cannot require more than 18 rounds per scenario stage, so that's a maximum of 108 rounds . Rarely do I set up the stages for the max so you can compete every month for typically less than 100 rounds.

This month's sign up is here: https://practiscore.com/phillipsburg-idpa-july-2022-wednesday/register

Yup, this forum use to be the shit for matches in the area, now it just is....  You mention matches on here and people say that's not real life or some other dumb shit. 

This forum helped get me into competitive shooting, now it's basically my life outside of the family. I even own a gun shop because of all this. I'll probably be opening up a training school pretty soon. Hell, even my wife shoots uspsa and SC.

Just want to say thank you to all the OG's of this forum and all the match directors in the area! 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Mr.Stu said:

Come to Phillipsburg Pistol Club on the 3rd Wednesday evening each month for IDPA. I put on 6 stages. IDPA rules are that I cannot require more than 18 rounds per scenario stage, so that's a maximum of 108 rounds . Rarely do I set up the stages for the max so you can compete every month for typically less than 100 rounds.

This month's sign up is here: https://practiscore.com/phillipsburg-idpa-july-2022-wednesday/register

Do you guys accept noobs who are safe?

32 minutes ago, Mr.Stu said:

11 minutes ago, Cheflife15 said:

I imagine Stu will respond as well. But I'll toss in my 2 cents. 

The first ever competition I did was an IDPA with Stu when he still ran them at the other place. Stu does a great job running the matches! Expect to run through a safety briefing beforehand to prove you have basic skills. Pay attention to the ROs! Watch your muzzle & trigger finger! Have fun!

I'd love to continue to compete IDPA with Stu, but it's just too far for me to get to in time. 

3 hours ago, Cheflife15 said:

I recall my first match at Shongum...nervous as hell....but it was sooooo much fun.

There was a guy on here, forget his name, moved to NC ..big coffee drinker etc.  Tall white hair shot a Glock....  saw Maksim out...  Pizza Bob, Krdshrk etc...and others....  was a lot of fun.

• Agree 1

22 hours ago, Cheflife15 said:

It depends on what kind of noob you might be. IDPA adds a lot of extra things to think about in addition to handling your handgun - sequence of target engagement, number of rounds, shooting positions, reloads, etc.

If you are very new to shooting and have to think about how to carry out manipulations of your gun, you should continue to practice in a shooting port to build your familiarity. If you are fully familiar with your gun, have developed good muzzle awareness and trigger finger discipline, and know how to clear stoppages, but have never shot in an action match before, I would have no issue with you giving it a try to see if you like it (you will, BTW)

If you have never shot this type of match you will need a safety briefing. Due to time constraints, I will do the briefing at 5:30 on the day of the match if anyone new is showing up. I have added a question on the sign-up page to let me know if I need to show up early to run the briefing. 

No experience and no briefing = no shooting