Barms

Holster Advice..

Tired of shooting paper.. will start taking advanced pistol classes and later shooting steel. Ummm.. don't own a holster. So someone give me the cliff notes on holster shopping. One major point: i am not interested in anything custom nor am i looking (at this time) for anything that is for quick draw. I'm merely looking for something compliant for walking around the range.

I know someone will ask: "what kind of pistol do you have?" I want to train with my .22 1911, but eventually would want to use a M&P 9mm (or PPQ 9mm). Is there a "one size fits all" for holsters? Basically i'm not in the market for the Ferrari of holsters, i'm looking for the Chevy Cavelier of holsters..

Also, magazine holders? and oh, it would be outside the waistband, and just through my belt.. again.. entry level. About how much should i be spending?

thanks!

I use a serpa even though most people here insist they are evil. Can't beat it for 30 bucks I really only use mine when I qualify or shooting at the range though. Easy to draw and re holster. Another option is safari land holsters single retention sobs just have to rock the gun back to release it. Fobus holsters are ok but they didn't work for me. Felt to cheap for me. I see guys at the range using pancake holsters with leather straps that work well. Now if u want a do all holster look into the nylon holsters they normally accommodate multiple weapons. Good luck

the 1911 .22 and the 1911 .45 (if they're the same physical size) may fit in the same holster.

A one-size-fits-every-gun you own is a crap shoot to be sure! Even codura nylon Uncle Mike's holsters are sorta gun specific---but they do offer multiple gun fit in a single unit, so check them out! Just don't put a gun into one if it lays in there loose. You don't want it to fall out of the holster when you bend down to pick-up brass, etc.

Some brands to consider

• Comp-Tac
  • Kaluban Cloak
  • Blackhawk (although some training places won't allow the use of a Serpa Holster)
  • PJ Holster

The above are all good - but typically not too pricey - Kydex holsters. For general range use I'd recommend Kydex OWB. You can then decide if you want pancake style (easy to remove without undoing belt but can pull free when you don't expect it to!) or one with proper belt loops.

I'd recommend proper belt loops, kydex OWB and then go for a belt such as a Wilderness 5 stitch gun belt:

http://www.thewilderness.com/storepinnacle/index.php?p=product&id=2476&parent=142

Please do not go for a one size fits all

hth

TheWombat

Forget "One size fits all" - compromises are never a good thing. For the most bang for your buck, try this for your M&P...

http://www.blade-tech.com/Revolution-Combo-Pak-pr-1324.html

Adios,

Pizza Bob

PS: And throw away the paddle attachment.

As stated above: One size fits all, doesn't fit any very well.

Ok but cheap- uncle mikes nylon.

Crappy and cheap - Fobus. Their mag pouches are decent and cheap, gun holsters suck.

I'm a fan of leather: Desantis, Galco.

I like that leather moves with me and fits snugly to my hip. The plastic holsters are cool and I have some but for all day wear they tend to pinch me.

Just my 2 cents

I have always used BladeTech DOH but recently I got a Double Alpha Academy for my 1911 and I like it so far. They offer it for multiple guns and they have standard belt ride holster (IDPA) and low-ride (production USPSA). The nice thing about it is it has a suede lining in it so no marks on the gun after extended use. They are a little stiff when you first get it but it does loosen up with use.

I'm a bit of a holster whore, and I've tried so many out there over the last 14 years. Leather vs kydex is a personal choice. I used to only use leather, as I always viewed them as higher quality with a closer fitting ride. But these days, I've started to use kydex since the options are a lot more vast than in the past. For mag carriers, I definitely prefer kydex as it aids in faster reloads for me.

For kydex, I'd go with Raven Concealment or Comp-Tac. Having tried both, I prefer the Raven for it's retention without the need for adjustment screws, and the close riding nature. I didn't like the way the Comp-Tac belt holster rode as much, but quality wise, they are fine. I also have mag pouches from both makers, and without question, I think the RCS mag carrier is far superior in both retention and concealability.

For leather, I like the stuff by Alessi and Milt Sparks. I actually don't have too much experience with the newer Alessi stuff. I knew Lou Alessi when he was still alive and well, and his stuff was top notch. Not sure how their stuff is today, but I suspect it's still good.

All the companies I mentioned, btw, have outstanding customer service. They back up their work and take care of their customers.

Definitely avoid the Fobus and Serpa. The Fobus is, sorry to say, but a major piece of crap. The Serpa, as you've probably already read, is potentially unsafe for many. I know there is debate among some on how dangerous a Serpa really is, but the fact that this debate exists should be enough to make one look elsewhere, especially since there are far better options out that are not questionable in the safety of the design. Also more and more well known instructors are starting to ban Serpas from their classes. Best to just avoid this hassle.

And this is super important. You must absolutely invest in a proper gun belt. Anything you buy in most department stores will not do the job. A belt that is not designed to hold the weight of a pistol and other accessories will sag on your belt, and this will cause discomfort. Furthermore, the belt will bend upward as you draw, which will cause your holster to ride up with the gun. This results in a severly slowed and uncomfortable draw. Even more important than the holster itself is using it on a belt that is designed for carrying a gun. My personal favorite now is the Ares Ranger belt, but I've used the Wilderness belt with success, as well as leather belts by Alessi and others.

I'm a big believer in that you pay for what you get. Quality holsters will cost you a bit more, but are definitely worth their weight in gold.

Make sure whatever belt you are using, it is sized properly the the loops of the holster you get. 1.5" is the most common for concealed holsters. If your belt is taking up the entire loop, it is probably over 1.5".

But odds are, even a belt that seems heavier than the kinds you find at the mall are still not going to suffice for carrying a gun. A gun belt needs to be rigid enough to hold the weight of a loaded gun without causing sag, and without rolling at the edges. Furthermore, it needs to stand the test of time. A new belt could be stiff enough at first, but one that's not properly made will eventually soften up and start to sag.

If in doubt, and you are ok with a nylon belt, definitely look at the Wilderness 5 stitch belt mentioned previously. They are great for the money.

Also, I just did a shoot at TRPC and they have a "180" rule where the muzzle of the gun cannot break a 180 degree line thru the body from the shoulder to the ankle. If your holster has a cant to it, it will break the 180 rule and not be allowed on that range for competition. YMMV.

C

Also, I just did a shoot at TRPC and they have a "180" rule where the muzzle of the gun cannot break a 180 degree line thru the body from the shoulder to the ankle. If your holster has a cant to it, it will break the 180 rule and not be allowed on that range for competition. YMMV.

C

Depends. In USPSA you can have a slight cant, but if you draw and the muzzle is pointing within 3 feet of your feet, you're ok.

those g-code holsters look pretty cool. not bad price either.

Natchezss has awesomeeee deals on g-code. Wayyy cheaper than g-code website. They call them eagle tactical system because of a contract eagle has with g-code but here is link. http://www.natchezss...l%252520Systems

you can also search by brand "eagle tactical systems" and then look under holsters, GHS, OSH, and holster accessories. Also another brand I wanted to point out for strictly CCW purposes which I find to be the best is http://crossbreedholsters.com. The G-Code is a mix between a concealed and a range/combat holster. It's we were issued in the Marine Corps.

Depends. In USPSA you can have a slight cant, but if you draw and the muzzle is pointing within 3 feet of your feet, you're ok.

I believe it is a rule specific to this range. Just putting out a heads up.

C

+1 +2 +3 for the guys who went out of their way to say "get a proper belt.."

just tried it and holy crap.. i can't even imagine that weight (and high center of gravity) yanking on a leather belt.. fuggedaboutit..

now.. do you guys wear the holster belt IN ADDITION to the belt holding up your pants? or just the single tactical belt for both?