woodentoe

A Beginner's Bike

Ive never owned a motorcycle, but have always liked the idea of being a proficient enough rider to tour cross country. I'm giving serious consideration to taking a Rider Education Course, getting my license endorsement, and purchasing a used cruiser. I take the train from Rahway into NYC and live in Woodbridge. So, I was considering a Honda Rebel or other beginner bike as station transportation.

I'd love some advice from more seasoned riders about a good beginner bike (I would prefer a natural seat position as opposed to a bent over, crotch rocket type deal.

Also, any advice on parking, security or the limits of a lower powered bike, 250cc, would be.

Thanks in advance.

If you never rode before, I would say take the class.

A 250cc cruiser is very small, but good for learning and practice. That's what they use in the classes. But I will say you will out grow it and get bored in the matter on a month or 2.

A 250cc is good for putt-putting around town, but useless on a highway

I would look at something in the 500-750cc range to get comfortable on.

Parking or security, is a tough one. They make wheel locks. Some bikes have fork locks. But if someone wants your bike, it will be taken. Searh youtube, 4 men and a van can make a bike disappear in 30secs.

You usually don't get special treatment parking with a bike. you still need 1 spot, so it will cost the same for parking.

Been riding for 18 years now.

Good idea on the education course, go forth on that one.

IMO, any of the "mopeds with gears" is a poor choice of ride for most people. Typically you outgrow it after the first season (or a few weeks for some). You have to then decide if you want used or new. Lots of people like starting with a used "beater" bike, so you don't feel bad if you drop it. Problem is , you pay a few grand for something that's semi-OK, or maybe it needs a bunch of maintenance which is annoying unless you like that sort of thing. If you go new, well, if you do drop it it will be $$$ to fix it to be like new again.

After you decide that, if you do go new, speaking of honda cruisers, the Shadow 750 is a great starter bike if you ask me, or anything in that size arena in cruiser style would be. Plus, it has enough balls to take you where you want to go for the next few years. Also the larger engine will still be tame and not breaking a sweat , while the 250 will be screaming for mercy when you try to pass that tractor trailer.

My first bike was a Vulcan 800. It hasn't overpowerful like someother bikes but it definitely wasn't weak. Like MikeK77 said. Under 250cc is pointless on the highway, It literally can't get out of its own way. I would recommend a Vulcan to anyone starting. I think they can be had pretty cheap, fairly easy to work on if need be and hopefully this doesn't happen but if you dump it, it wont hurt you that much (mentally) as if you put down a harley. Be safe out there when you start and just always pay attention to everything, grow eyes in the back of your head if you can

Been riding and building bikes for now just shy of 30 years. First and foremost just like shooting these gun game is to be safe and arm yourself with the best tool available to do that. Step 1 would be a Riders Education class, even for some who have been riding for some time WILL benefit from taking it again, and for those that have taken it recently, say the last 5 year or so and haven't taken the advance riders course, well just do it.

It's amazing what you will see what small things you forget about that can really help you out there.

One very big thing to always keep in mind, when the day comes and you think you are good, take a step back and re-think this. Riding is inherently dangerous and especially around NJ.

Remember Old riders use superior judgment to avoid using superior riding skills.

^^^^ Everything they said... 250 is too small for most people. Good for light and small folks buzzing around town. I did a lot of learning on a 250 Rebel, but already had a Ninja.... So 500cc and up is a good start bike. I would stay under 1100 cc. A decent Harley Sportster 883 is good. They are relatively cheap especially used.

Sent from John's iPad 2 via Tapatalk HD

Typos courtesy Apple...

Then you def don't want it. It will think there are 2 of ya on there and it will start yelling at ya ... Lol. ;)

Thanks for the tips guys. I knew there were more than a few riders on the board. It's interesting, I haven't seen anything that referred to the Honda Rebel 250 as a moped or bicycle with gears. Is it that underpowered? Also, I am NOT a small man.

Typos courtesy Apple...

My opinions.....

Unless you are a mechanic, I would recommend a simple bike, as in no more than 2 cylinders, with a belt or shaft drive. Nothing ruins a ride faster than a problem with a complicated, computer-controlled 4 cyl. bike that cannot be fixed (or at lest diagnosed) easily. Ask me how I know. Shaft and belt drives are near-zero maintenance items and simplify ownership for a new rider. Truth be told, I really like the idea of one carb feeding one spark plug in one cylinder venting into one exhaust pipe.

Do not be tempted to buy a fixer upper. There is no such thing as a $400 bike. Again, ask me how I know. Buy something clean, in the 600-800cc range that needs no, or very little, work. Also go into this knowing that you WILL drop it. At least once. Accept dents and scratches as part of the learning process.

I have not owned a bike for a few years, but if I were buying today, I would seriously look at... 1) a Suzuki Savage, a 650cc single cylinder with a belt drive. Google RYCA to see how cool it can be ..... 2) a Suzuki VX800, not made in nearly 20 years, but a very cool early 90's 800cc v-twin with a shaft drive in a standard style bike or...... 3) a Kawasaki KLR 650 (a chain drive, yes, but a great, simple go anywhere bike). All can be found on CL from time to time for less than 2 or 3 grand. Other good 1st bikes, IMHO, are Kawasaki EX500's, Suzuki GS500's or a Honda Hawk 650 if you can find one.

That said, any mid-sized Japanese cruiser is gonna be perfect for you. Easy to ride, easy to wrench on and cheap to buy/ride/fix/insure.

Good luck.

1992 Suzuki Katana 1100. Constant electrical issues, never could get the carbs sync'd, went thru chains and sprockets often, WAAAAAAAY too fast.

1974 CB 750. Bought for $400. Spend the next 2 years dealing with leaking carbs, sticking front brakes that spat me over the bars once, exhaust leaks, rusty rims........

1979 BMW R65. Bought for $1000 needing lotsa work. BMW parts aint cheap. Great sounding bike.

In hind sight, the most fun bike I owned ever was also the smallest, a 1975 Honda CB200T. Perfect for scooting around campus, but useless (and illegal) on the highway.

It is so tempting to get bigger and bigger bikes, but the small ones can be the most challenging to ride well. Kinda like Leno says about cars, "It is more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow"

+1000 to the riders course. It doesnt matter who you take the course with. It will save your life! After that, get whatever bike you are comfortable with. For me,I rode an iron head sportster for years before I got a car license. That was about 21 years ago. I have been riding ever since and I have been involved in 2 crashes. Both of wich could have gone a lot worse if I wasnt trained properly, Both where because of someone in a cage (car) not paying attention.

Watch all cars like your life depends on it........because it does

Ken

My first bike was a 1200 HD Sporty. As hd2000fxdl said take the coarse, and around here riding is dangerous people have the f you attitude, my accident happened when a 16 year old kid walked right in front of me says didn’t hear me but I use to set off car alarms, anyway 2 surgeries later and I’m good to go now. Thinking of getting a HD Trike now.

Believe it or not, the loud pipes saves lives saying is a bit of a myth. The sound in front of your bike is no where near the sound along side or as you are passing. So he may just attributed you as general traffic noise.

My first bike was a 1200 HD Sporty. As hd2000fxdl said take the coarse, and around here riding is dangerous people have the f you attitude, my accident happened when a 16 year old kid walked right in front of me says didn’t hear me but I use to set off car alarms, anyway 2 surgeries later and I’m good to go now. Thinking of getting a HD Trike now.

Typos courtesy Apple...

Believe it or not, the loud pipes saves lives saying is a bit of a myth. The sound in front of your bike is no where near the sound along side or as you are passing. So he may just attributed you as general traffic noise.

Typos courtesy Apple...

Agreed....I have a set of V&H's long shots on my bike. Is the bike louder than stock.....10x louder.....but so many drivers are distracted. You need to ride defensive 110% of the time. I can't tell you home many times I get cut in front of, cut off, almost side swipe because people don't look when changing lanes, etc.

People say "motorcycles are so dangerous"...yes....because people in cars don't look where they are going!!!!!

Typos courtesy Apple...

I would agree and disagree, in my case it was a residential street the only street sounds were the birds (he was not on a cell, deaf or using a IPod, just head up his a$$), on a regular street I would agree.

People say "motorcycles are so dangerous"...yes....because people in cars don't look where they are going!!!!!

It's not so much that they don't look for bikers, it's cagers drive with attitude of look out for me and they are distracted with cells, texting and just multi tasking instead of just driving defensively.

know how to ride a bicycle first,then take the riders class.fdu has a good one..

I spent about a year cycling from Penn Station to Lex and 59th in 2009-2010. Hairy indeed, but as long as you follow the law, yield where you're supposed to and view every car as out to kill you...you're good.

Like A-holes everybody has opinions. But I think we all agree on one thing...

Take a MSF course, FDU is OK but there are better as well.

And if I understand you want to do a short commute to the train?

A 250 may be suitable for short hops.

I think you'll regret buying a 250 crusier in short time. Take a look at the Honda Nighthawk 750. It is a standard and will be very comfortable for long trips. They are relatively cheap used, reliable and are pretty simple to work on for maintenance. You should be able to get better than 200 miles out of a tank. These bikes are not superpowered to get you in trouble but have more than enough power to keep you entertained. Not to mention the fact that I think the Nighthawk 750 is a great looking bike.

Make sure you budget for the appropriate safety gear. Wear all the gear, all the time.

I like the 250's for complete beginners.

They're cheap (less than 2k for a good used one). Spend more money on riding gear.

Being tame, they are forgiving of a new rider's mistakes, so they can build confidence and a solid foundation of skills to transfer to a larger bike.

Brand new riders are likely to drop the bike at some point, such as during a low-speed maneuver in a parking lot. Being small helps the rider either keep it upright or gently let it fall, then get it back up. Being cheap (and likely scratched from the previous beginner-owner), means the value doesn't plummet with the addition of a few scrapes and dents.

Insurance is dirt cheap and they get great fuel mileage.

250's like the rebel, ninja, and virago retain their value almost indefinitely and they're always in demand by other beginners. Buy a used one for a good price and you're likely to turn a profit when you do upgrade to a faster, sexier bike.

Just my $.02

I would definitely advice taking a riders education course, IMO smartest thing a motorcyclist can do.

Could always go with a Can-am, if you are apprehensive about riding on two wheels. I've never ridden one but I imagine it would make a mighty comfortable cross country touring bike.

Agreed....I have a set of V&H's long shots on my bike. Is the bike louder than stock.....10x louder.....but so many drivers are distracted. You need to ride defensive 110% of the time. I can't tell you home many times I get cut in front of, cut off, almost side swipe because people don't look when changing lanes, etc.

Used to run V&H Straight Shots on the Dyna, pulled the baffles and replace with the old lollipop in the end of the pipe for back pressure. Good sound and good performance for a HD that in, but 100HP/105TQ on a bike like that isn't too bad. V&H make a good product but don't have any bike that run them anymore, 1 3/4" open drags on the Shovel and Rush Slip-ons on the Ultra are what I'm running now.

Years ago, I recall reading that the majority of motorcycle fatalities are single-vehicle incidents.

I'd bet without even looking into it, the majority of the single vehicle accidents were from riders who have just over 12 months and less than 24..

If you're just riding streets and county roads to the station, the 250 will be fine. But it's a little light for the highway as others have said. The reason being you just can't cruise along slowly in the right lane. When a driver in a car is about to miss his exit, he'll make a sharp right from the center or left lane and cut you off as if you're not even there. The left lane is the only place that won't happen. You need a bike that can cruise comfortably at speed in the left lane.