MsM&P9

NRA Sticker -- Probable Cause?

Hello everyone. I just joined the NRA. I plan to put the sticker on my car. Does anyone know if you can be stopped by a cop just for having the sticker on your car -- is that considered probable cause? I can see if you are stopped for something else they then might ask if you are carrying firearms in the vehicle, but otherwise I'm thinking you couldn't only be stopped for them noticing the sticker.

They would need more than a sticker for probable cause. They may ask you anything they want, but it doesnt warrant them to search your vehicle. Even if they are aware of your declaration of your social alignments (NRA) it does not make owning or (legally) transporting a gun an illegal offense. If a cop stopped me because of an NRA sticker, id tell him his supervisor better be making his way out to our location.

Be sure to know your rights, keepem in the back of your head...then dont worry about it. The more pro 2A swag out there the more our NJ culture will realize that gun ownership is common place and not the boogey man waiting to steal your wallet.

Sent from tapatalk deep within a bunker, lathered in hoppes and wrapped in tinfoil

Aren't most cops NRA members? I would think cops would be comforted by the sticker, not alarmed. Just my humble opinion.

NO. Only a percentage are gun enthusiasts/pro 2nd amendment, some have no opinion qualify twice a year do their job could care less about guns, and another percentage could be considered antis 'civilians shouldn't have guns.'

IMO,an NRA sticker doesn't give probable cause, but if you run past the wrong cop who doesn't like guns, that sticker could give him the incentive to make your day a little worse. But I wouldn't live in fear of harassment if you support the 2nd Amendment and want to share that with other people do it!

The problem with your example is that the possession of one is legal and the the possession of the other is illegal for the most part. If I saw someone sporting an NRA shirt, I'd think they were someone who appreciates firearms and is supporting an organization who supports said firearms. When I see someone wearing a shirt with a pot leaf, my 1st reaction is that I've just met a doper, who does illegal activities.

I have my NRA Life Member stickers on every car!

As far as a Police Stop, I'd worry more about how aggressively you drive than what your bumper is decorated with.

And since no one else has done it, THANKS FOR BEING A MEMBER OF THE NRA!

Dave

NRA Certified Instructor

Competitive Shooter in Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, and Black Powder

Hell, if I could afford it, I'd paint my whole truck in an NRA Emblem wrapper.

I have my NRA Life Member stickers on every car!

As far as a Police Stop, I'd worry more about how aggressively you drive than what your bumper is decorated with.

And since no one else has done it, THANKS FOR BEING A MEMBER OF THE NRA!

Dave

NRA Certified Instructor

Competitive Shooter in Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, and Black Powder

The problem with your example is that the possession of one is legal and the the possession of the other is illegal for the most part. If I saw someone sporting an NRA shirt, I'd think they were someone who appreciates firearms and is supporting an organization who supports said firearms. When I see someone wearing a shirt with a pot leaf, my 1st reaction is that I've just met a doper, who does illegal activities.

What if they are medicinal marijuana users and support the cause? :)

Sent from tapatalk deep within a bunker, lathered in hoppes and wrapped in tinfoil

What if they are medicinal marijuana users and support the cause? :)

That's why I said "for the most part".

Or someone who doesn't suckle at the teet of government propaganda and instead thinks for themselves.

What's that supposed to mean? You saying that you disagree that pot kills braincells?

I have a "Protected by Stag Arms" sticker on my car with a big 'ol AR-15 on it. I've never had the cops gimme any grief over it and I've driven right past them numerous times in my town. I think they have bigger issues to worry about. Still, if I ever did get pulled over I am aware of my rights, but would be more concerned that I might have been driving like an A-hole rather than what sticker is on my car.

I believe any LEO has more important things to deal with than pulling you over for bumper sticker brand X. Here is a page full of posts I found while doing research on something like this: http://forums.officer.com/t127412/. More importantly I found this relevant: http://forums.officer.com/t127412/#post1940319

I would no more pull over a car with legalization stickers than I would NRA or Death-to-Osama stickers.

What's that supposed to mean? You saying that you disagree that pot kills braincells?

Yes I disagree and so does a good deal of research [Morgan and Zimmer, 1991; Slikker et al 1992; Block et al, 1999] . And most research is concerned with the smoking of MJ. Smoking anything robs oxygen from your brain and isn't great for the body. It can be eaten as well. The Cannibioids in MJ have been shown to do a lot of good for the body, kill cancer cells, etc. Their is research that shows MJ smokers have less lung cancer than smokers and non-smokers which is interesting. Regardless, MJ is no more or less of a health risk than drinking a beer.

You tellem Clive!

"Well ya see Norm, it's like this... A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members." " In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. “Excessive intake of alcohol, as we all know, kills brain cells, but naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine." "That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers."

Pertinent to the MJ discussion lol

You tellem Clive!

"Well ya see Norm, it's like this... A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members." " In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. “Excessive intake of alcohol, as we all know, kills brain cells, but naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine." "That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers."

Pertinent to the MJ discussion lol

Best Cheers quote ever

Just ask Dustin Shane Reininger if he thinks they would? This guy was profiled because his truck had Texas plates which is apparently a clear indication to New Jersey law enforcement that the driver is guilty of the crime of being "Pro-Gun". When he refused the request to search his vehicle they charged him with hindering/obstruction and managed to get an impound search anyway. This case is a prime example of everything wrong with New Jersey laws and law enforcement as a whole.

The Officer testified during the Evidence Hearing that he Profiled the Vehicle because of the Texas License Plates stating that since People in Texas are Pro-Gun that there had to be Guns in the vehicle. The Officer also said in the Video 2 times during a conversation with fellow officers, that he knew the vehicle had guns because of the Texas License Plates.

Tell me how an NRA sticker is any less of an indication of being "Pro-Gun" than a Texas license plate? If you are a cop and wonder why people have issues with you, this is a real good example.

Seriously.... It would suck and we all know this state sux. I'd definitely sue the pants off them but I would let them have thier way, then sue them. There are a lot of states that also have the typical 'good ol boy attitudes' too and if you cross them, forget about anything or anyone helping you. At least around here, we can find someone to support us.

Just ask Dustin Shane Reininger if he thinks they would? This guy was profiled because his truck had Texas plates which is apparently a clear indication to New Jersey law enforcement that the driver is guilty of the crime of being "Pro-Gun". When he refused the request to search his vehicle they charged him with hindering/obstruction and managed to get an impound search anyway. This case is a prime example of everything wrong with New Jersey laws and law enforcement as a whole.

Tell me how an NRA sticker is any less of an indication of being "Pro-Gun" than a Texas license plate? If you are a cop and wonder why people have issues with you, this is a real good example.

My son has an NRA sticker on his car. He got stopped for speeding and the officer says to him "Any reason I need to check your car for firearms?" Nick handled it very well and said to the officer "No sir. I'm aware of New Jersey's laws and have nothing in the car." He actually got off with a warning for speeding and that's it!

Seriously.... It would suck and we all know this state sux. I'd definitely sue the pants off them but I would let them have thier way, then sue them. There are a lot of states that also have the typical 'good ol boy attitudes' too and if you cross them, forget about anything or anyone helping you. At least around here, we can find someone to support us.

http://www.newschann...for-profit-case

It happens everywhere.. but it is NOT indicative of common police practices. Just like every profession in the world, there are ones that either shouldnt be there, or not perfect by any means. I would not let this case effect my choice to promote whatever my interests are. I do not break transporting firearm laws, and previously stated, if an officer profiled me based on a sticker, I would have his road Sgt coming to make sure probie gets he head put on straight.

See, now that is bullshiet and that cop, by just his answers given to the reporter in my opinion was banking on this guy not getting it back. For all we know, they'd get a percentage of everything they confiscated and while that is not lawful in its own sense, it's not to say don't happen. That is almost the 'good ol boy' mentality I speak of, just in a more modern sense. First, I would hide the money if I had to carry it to prevent it from being stolen by car jackers or whatever. I would also not tell the leo he could search my vehicle without pc... I also, after all said and done, (never carry that kind of money no matter what the reason), but I would assuredly not sign off saying I wouldn't sue them. This classic bs in every shape and form.

Next month, we'll be driving out to Nashville to visit the in-laws and we never carry cash over a $100 in our pockets. We use debit or credit cards if need be till we get there, then if we need to, we'll withdraw cash from a bank. Geeze...

http://www.newschann...for-profit-case

It happens everywhere.. but it is NOT indicative of common police practices. Just like every profession in the world, there are ones that either shouldnt be there, or not perfect by any means. I would not let this case effect my choice to promote whatever my interests are. I do not break transporting firearm laws, and previously stated, if an officer profiled me based on a sticker, I would have his road Sgt coming to make sure probie gets he head put on straight.

Sent from John's iPad 2 via Tapatalk HD

Typos courtesy Apple...

A lot of spin on this one. What do expect his support website to say?

How about asleep behind a closed bank in a dark area at o-dark-thirty with loaded weapons in plain sight in the back seat? Oh, they forgot to mention that little detail. Being an ex-LEO traveling from MA to TX he should have known better.