Sign in to follow this  
joepaw

Bought my first handgun, looking for a shotgun now

So last week I bought a gen 4 glock 21 .45 Auto from Bullseye Tactical Supply in Woodbridge. I love the gun, hate feeding it lol. That being said, I havehave put close to a thousand rounds through it without a single fte or ftf . Chris from Bullseye was very helpful and friendly, I will definitely be going back.

Now im in the market for a shotgun. I want a 12 gauge and I like the Remington 870, but with the cost of feeding my. 45 to think about, I'm not looking to break the bank on the shotgun. Does anyone have any ideas for shotguns? Im looking to keep it around $200 range, as I will only be using it for trap and fun. Im open to new or used. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

There are some bargains out there to be had. I opted for a Remington 870 Tactical in the $450 neighborhood.

REMINGTON 870 12GA MAG GI#: 100275606 REMINGTON EXPRESS MODEL 870 12GA VENT RIB 3" MAGNUM AS NEW NO BOX HAS FACTORY PAPERS. METAL AND WOOD NEAR MINT WITH SOME FAINT STORAGE MARKS. ONE REMINGTON CHOKE TUBE INCLUDED WE DON'T HAVE THE R ...Click for more info Seller: MAX T. FRANCE Area Code: 716

$275.00

Remington 870 Express Syn Mag Tactical GI#: 100253052 Remington 870 Express Synthetic Magnum Tactical (Home Defense) 12ga pump shotgun. 18" plain barrel bored cylinder with 3" chamber and single bead front sight. Black synthetic buttstock and f ...Click for more info Seller: Yankee Trader Area Code: 253 $295.00

IMO for a shotgun. Find a used Mossberg 500. There are so many accesories for it it's not even funny. You can literally take the gun and within 10 mins turn it into a hd gun to a hunting/trap gun. I picked up a used one for 125. Came with 2 barrels, and bought a 18" barrel. out the door with some ammo was a little over 2

You won't find much in the $200 range except for low-quality shotguns. That changes if you look into used Mossbergs, Remingtons, etc.

I'd suggest the leading two pump shotguns that have both been around the block, the Mossberg 500 or Remington 870. As Brockglock stated, you can buy a second barrel and have a short barrel for home defense or long choke barrel for clays or hunting. The options are pretty much endless.

Honestly, check out a model called the Maverick 88 made by Mossberg. They run about $290, depending, and they are a Mossberg 500 with a couple parts manufactured in Mexico. They're a cheaper alternative to a 500. I've had an 88 for a couple years now and it's seen a lot and you can tell by just looking at it...it's pretty beat up but I would not hesitate to trust my life with it.

Just throwing some things out there to think about.

I'm at work right now, so I can't look, but check to see if Advantage Arms has any Glock 21 conversion kits to turn your .45 ACP into a .22LR. That will save you a boatload of money. I have a conversion kit for my Beretta 92FS and it is worth every penny.

Regarding Shotguns, you can find a user Remmington 870 or Mossberg 500 for about $200. Keep an eye on the forums and set them up for instant alert when someone posts in the WTB Firearms section.

Also get an account on NewJerseyHunter.com you see pumps pop up there a lot for $200, but they usually have 26" slug or 28" bird barrels. You'll have to purchase the 18" HD barrel yourself.

My suggestion is to get a Maverick 88. Dicks Sporting Goods usually has them for $199. The Maverick 88 is basically a Mossberg 500 that was made in Mexico and has a crossbolt safety instead of the ambi thumb safety. It will get the job done.

You can't go wrong with a used Remington 870 or Mossberg 500. The Remington is the standard, but the Mossberg is quite nice and I like the location of the safety. A used Ithaca might also be quite nice, and the older Stevens 77s (used in Vietnam) might also be nice if you can find one.

On a budget, I suggest a Mossberg 500.