Ray Ray

Get Home Bag, what's in yours?

Since I really don't have a BOB per say, I was wondering if anyone has a Get Home Bag? I do.

It's basically a bag in my truck that I keep stuff to get me through a day away from home, unexpectedly.

In my bag:

underwear

socks

pants

shirt

knife

lights

batteries

disposable toothbrush

deoderant

body wash

toilet paper

gloves

first aid kit

multi-tool

While I have a BOB (not 100% finished but in pretty good order) and Bug-In supplies, bags for both me and my wife's vehicles are def something I need to do. So I am here for some info & ideas. I would assume most of everything in my BOB minus a few items...

I don't have one, although I do keep a number of items in my car along with a bag if I had to carry it all.

The original purpose of the bag was to be used to clean out the car if it ever got towed or I got into an accident.

I suppose if I did have a "get home" bag, I would have:

$200 in cash

A few bottles of water

First aid kit

Multi-tool

Two flashlights.

Portable radio

Poncho

Emergency blanket

Some kind of tool that could be used as a weapon like a hatchet or hammer

Matches

Spare socks and shoes

Chemlights

Of all of the items, the $200 in cash is probably most important. You may not have cash on you and ATMs won't be working if the power is out.

My Bug Home Bag I keep in each car has:

LED flashlight

Handcrack/solar radio

Gas mask with new sealed CBRN filter

Multiple foil emergency blankets (good for a number of things)

Fixed blade knife

Waterproof matches

Lifeboat food rations , enough for 3 days

Portable ceramic water filter

Homemade first aid kit (bandaids, neosporin type ointment, gauze rolls, maleable splint, surgical tape, butterfly sutchers, gauze pads, scissors, quickclot)

I'm going to be adding a poncho as well.

On 9/11, I was in midtown manhattan after lukcily having a morning shoot in WFC canceled. When the South tower went down, I watched it through the office window (could just see the top of the tower looking down 6th ave) I focuse dmy eyes in the foreground and looked at the Empire State Building. Over my shoulder, the co-workers were hollering about the other hit sites. CNN, at the time suggested there were 8 or 9 planes unaccounted for. I was smack in the middle of the Epire State and Times Square. So, I decided to bug out in the opposite direction. I had nothing on me at all. So, I grabbed my bag (forgetting my cell phone charger) and left.

I crossed 7th ave and immediately took $500 out of the ATM and stashed it in various places on my person (bag, pocket, shoe) just in case. Then, I walked over to Port Authority to try and get a bus since trains were out. Buses were shut, so I went into duane Reade and bought 4 liters of water. Since people were coming uptown and we still didn't know if it was over, I decided to stick to the river and walk uptown. I got stuck up at the GW bridge after walking those miles. I was glad I had the water. When they opened the bridge to traffic, we tried to walk across but were threatened by police. (they were afraid of a bomb, I think)

They were only letting one bus cross at a time since if a passenger or car were wired with explosives, the span wouldn't be packed. I had abit of panic at the thought of getting in a bus. Plus, people who had survived the collapse and walked all the way to the GW (15 miles), were arriving. I didn't feel right pushing my way onto a bus. I saw a guy covered in dust with blood coming out of his eyes get in a shoving match with an EMT who tried to put him in an ambulance for his injuries. He felt that he'd walked all that way to get off the island, there was no way he was going to some manhattan hospital unless he was in cuffs. They let him go and we gave him water and fruit that we'd all bought from roadside vendors.

When they started letting cars go across, another guy (who had been price gouged buying a bike that he didn't want to lose) and I tried to hitch a ride. No one would stop. So, I pulled $200 out of my pocket and stood in the middle of Fort Washington Ave to try and flag someone down. Two Dr.s from Beth Israel were in a Saab and were about to go over the bridge. They picked us up and took us to the Jersey side, refusing my money.

It was a long day, and it was a hot day to walk 8 miles in dress shoes. I was glad I had the presence of mind to get cash and buy water. Thanks, Ray, for bringing up this topic to remind me to be ready.

Since I really don't have a BOB per say, I was wondering if anyone has a Get Home Bag? I do.

It's basically a bag in my truck that I keep stuff to get me through a day away from home, unexpectedly.

In my bag:

underwear

socks

pants

shirt

knife

lights

batteries

disposable toothbrush

deoderant

body wash

toilet paper

gloves

first aid kit

multi-tool

Like you I keep a change of clothes.

Water ,slim jims and energy bars.

First aid kit.

Rain gear.

Folding shovel.

Automotive emergency kit.

Blanket.

10 by 10 ft tarp.

Bungee cords and duct tape.

Machete.

Head lamp.

Jump pack.

baby wipes.

...and the most important, a 17 oz bottle of Sriracha.

On 9/11, I was in midtown manhattan after lukcily having a morning shoot in WFC canceled. When the South tower went down, I watched it through the office window (could just see the top of the tower looking down 6th ave) I focuse dmy eyes in the foreground and looked at the Empire State Building. Over my shoulder, the co-workers were hollering about the other hit sites. CNN, at the time suggested there were 8 or 9 planes unaccounted for. I was smack in the middle of the Epire State and Times Square. So, I decided to bug out in the opposite direction. I had nothing on me at all. So, I grabbed my bag (forgetting my cell phone charger) and left.

I crossed 7th ave and immediately took $500 out of the ATM and stashed it in various places on my person (bag, pocket, shoe) just in case. Then, I walked over to Port Authority to try and get a bus since trains were out. Buses were shut, so I went into duane Reade and bought 4 liters of water. Since people were coming uptown and we still didn't know if it was over, I decided to stick to the river and walk uptown. I got stuck up at the GW bridge after walking those miles. I was glad I had the water. When they opened the bridge to traffic, we tried to walk across but were threatened by police. (they were afraid of a bomb, I think)

They were only letting one bus cross at a time since if a passenger or car were wired with explosives, the span wouldn't be packed. I had abit of panic at the thought of getting in a bus. Plus, people who had survived the collapse and walked all the way to the GW (15 miles), were arriving. I didn't feel right pushing my way onto a bus. I saw a guy covered in dust with blood coming out of his eyes get in a shoving match with an EMT who tried to put him in an ambulance for his injuries. He felt that he'd walked all that way to get off the island, there was no way he was going to some manhattan hospital unless he was in cuffs. They let him go and we gave him water and fruit that we'd all bought from roadside vendors.

When they started letting cars go across, another guy (who had been price gouged buying a bike that he didn't want to lose) and I tried to hitch a ride. No one would stop. So, I pulled $200 out of my pocket and stood in the middle of Fort Washington Ave to try and flag someone down. Two Dr.s from Beth Israel were in a Saab and were about to go over the bridge. They picked us up and took us to the Jersey side, refusing my money.

It was a long day, and it was a hot day to walk 8 miles in dress shoes. I was glad I had the presence of mind to get cash and buy water. Thanks, Ray, for bringing up this topic to remind me to be ready.

wow unreal. Thanks for sharing

I'm not buying into the Bug Out Bag mentality, but if I have to sleep in my truck or spend the night somewhere I don't really want to this bag would cover me.

As someone who works in manhattan and lives 40 miles away by train, there is something to be said for having a bag with some essentials in the event you get hung up in the city or have to travel in an inconvenient way. (the blackout, severe weather, like me on 9/11)

Water, meal bars, cash, a rain poncho, change of clothes/socks, a folding knife, pepper spray, flashlight, etc.

As someone who works in manhattan and lives 40 miles away by train, there is something to be said for having a bag with some essentials in the event you get hung up in the city or have to travel in an inconvenient way. (the blackout, severe weather, like me on 9/11)

Water, meal bars, cash, a rain poncho, change of clothes/socks, a folding knife, pepper spray, flashlight, etc.

I agree 100%. And a blanket would make sense too. Thanks for the idea of meal bars.

I have not seen the need for a BOB, but a get home bag makes sense. My worst case scenario would be walking home from work, 75 miles, Newark to Ocean Co. I have always carried rain gear and a change of clothes, but I will make a point to get a proper bag together.

The thing that occurs to me is, if I need to walk 75 miles home, then something is horribly wrong and tens of thousands of others are making the same trip. I would hope that most would be like me, law abiding folks trying to get home to safety and family. I would also assume that most would be unprepared for the trek.

The GSP would be one, giant sidewalk, teaming with thousands of people. I would choose to travel on a road like 9 or 35, where I hope LEO's would be on station to keep the masses orderly and supplies would be easier to access for those not prepared.

All it would take is a big Katrina-like storm to damage the bridges over the raritan river, combined with blackouts, to bring all vehicle travel on the coast to a stop.

Here's a list of stuff that I believe would be a great addition to anyone's bag, or trunk for that matter.

Wipes, bacetracin, rubbing alcohol, hand sanitizer, soap, Q-tips, deodarant, comb, energy bars (or the like), water, poncho, Boots, cover-alls or winter gear, hat, basic hand tools, Towel, small hand-crank radio, visine

A booster pack/jumper cables has helped me help myself more often than underwear, toothbrush and baby wipes. And it's helped me get others home more often than I needed it for myself.

If you're worried, consider adding tools and a gas can to your truck GHB.

A booster pack/jumper cables has helped me help myself more often than underwear, toothbrush and baby wipes. And it's helped me get others home more often than I needed it for myself.

If you're worried, consider adding tools and a gas can to your truck GHB.

good idea on the jumper cables, although my truck has a tool box in the bed so I'm covered for tools

Wife & I have near identical GHB's (LA Police Gear Bailout bags):

550 cord (and pro-knot cards showing different knots)

Gorilla Tape

Zip ties

First aid kit

Sewing kit

Light sticks

Bics/waterproof matches/firesteel/tinder

Flashlights(Surefire Fury w/ 2 sets of extra batteries)

Rite in the Rain pad with pressurized "space pen"

Gerber multiple tool

CRKT Eat N Tool

Bug Spray

Sun screen

2 ponchos

SOL Survival blanket

Travel Wipes

Deck of cards with survival stuff (realistically to fight boredom)

3 pouches of Datrex water

1L of water in metal water bottle (change daily)

Eyes & in-ear protection

Otis Zombie gun cleaning system (great field kit)

HK (benchmade) folding knife (wife has a Ka-Bar folder)

2 Cliff bars & small bag of mixed nuts

Mini-TP rolls

all that, and I still have room for my USP 45 in it's box

Just added hand warmers and gloves.

We tailor clothing in these for the season. We started out with a BOB, but decided these are more practical (I use the multi-tool, knife, and flashlight almost daily). Our BOB, when coupled with out GHB's has become our INCH bag.

I'm not buying into the Bug Out Bag mentality, but if I have to sleep in my truck or spend the night somewhere I don't really want to this bag would cover me.

You'd need a 32F sleeping bag for sleeping in your vehicle in the winter, unless you plan on running the engine all night.

If I has a BOB or BHB, I guess it would just be my backpack- already loaded with shelter, sleeping bag, knife, food, stove, water bladder, etc. What I use to ACTUALLY survive nights away from home (or civilization) lol

I agree with a all the posts in here! Trying not to repeat others list.

Food, like cliff bars stated above are a great energy source.

Tincture of iodine for water purification.

Stainless bottle

Clove oil & Tea tree oil

Scarf or shemagh (great for lots of things)

Socks, I know it's been said, but lots more socks. Good wool ones are the key!

Good wool blanket

Pry tool

Remember folks for the warmer months, cliff bars will MELT and be inedible so you have to choose an "energy bar" that will withstand some temperature fluctuations given these GHB's will be sitting in your vehicles a majority of the time (in July/August at the boat ramp my truck sometimes reads 100 degrees siting in the sun). All great suggestions here, I actually pay close attention to the SHTF thread on the XDTalk forum that I frequent and have built two bags that are quasi BOB/GHB's for my wife and I. My bags closely resemble what spanky packs. They also double as good camping packs. I have two LA Police Gear Operator bags.

Does anyone know if those foil emergency blankets can be fashioned into a hat?

All kidding aside, on long out of state trips, I usually have a handgun or at a minimum, my 10/22 and a bunch of mags and ammo. If I need to "bug out" I can load most of what I need quickly, with the exception of my MIL, one of her sons will have to get her. This is strictly to get home

In lieu of a sleeping bag I have a full length fleece zip up sleeping bag liner and a biivy bag, this will work down to below zero, in a car with the engine off and fully clothed.

I have a pair of danner mtn light boots in trunk along with the following:

2 pairs of socks (heavy, hiking)

Gaiters

Gloves

Batteries

Ares ranger belt

In ammo can in truck always:

K-bar knife

Wrist rocket sling shot and steel pellets for it

Multi tool

FAK full on kit with qclots, Israeli bandages, tampons, maxi pads, etc...

Condoms

Hygiene kit (tooth brush, paste, soap, bandanas, sunscreen, insect repellent, hunter's specialties 12x12 field wipes, Chapstick, qtips)

2 contractor bags

Fire kit

ETON crank radio

Signal mirror

Para cord

Duct tape

Water treatment kit

Sewing kit

1 Stanley stainless steel mug with 2 drinking cups inside

Various food that I rotate in and out (I have a small food bag that holds some mtn house meals and 4 MREs, power/cliff bars, 1 LRP, drink mixes- I take this in and out of the car every time I get in or out from spring to mid fall and have had to deal with any spoiling)

2 1 liter platypus bladders

Minimum of three flashlights and enough batteries and red filters for all of them.

I am sure I am missing something, or a bunch of things

I was in the South Tower. When I got out I was facing a long day of struggling to get home. Water was the first priority for me too. A few blocks north of the WTC I found a street vendor with one of the push carts common in NY and bought a bottle of Poland Spring from him. That was the best bottle of water I ever tasted. I now keep a case of bottled water in each car along with my GHB.

Just a few things:

a few 30 round mags

M1 carbine

hollow points

brass knuckles

slingshot

stun gun

lead bird shot for hunting waterfowl

a kit gun

black talons

a dagger

a switchblade

a flash hider, bayonet lug and pistol grip

the thing that's always gotten me about bug out bags, or get home bags.....is if something....ANYTHING happens that makes you want to bug out of home for safe havens, or bug out of work for home......whelp.....you ain't the only one thinking of that. so are the half million plus people within just a few miles of you.

if you're home, and try to bug out, you're leaving the relative safety, and easily defended/secured home, and placing yourself into a nearly impossible to defend/secure position in your car/truck amongst thousands of people that will become desperate rather quickly. same goes for bugging from work, trying to get home.

Does anyone know if those foil emergency blankets can be fashioned into a hat?

All kidding aside, on long out of state trips, I usually have a handgun or at a minimum, my 10/22 and a bunch of mags and ammo. If I need to "bug out" I can load most of what I need quickly, with the exception of my MIL, one of her sons will have to get her. This is strictly to get home

In lieu of a sleeping bag I have a full length fleece zip up sleeping bag liner and a biivy bag, this will work down to below zero, in a car with the engine off and fully clothed.

I have a pair of danner mtn light boots in trunk along with the following:

2 pairs of socks (heavy, hiking)

Gaiters

Gloves

Batteries

Ares ranger belt

In ammo can in truck always:

K-bar knife

Wrist rocket sling shot and steel pellets for it

Multi tool

FAK full on kit with qclots, Israeli bandages, tampons, maxi pads, etc...

Condoms

Hygiene kit (tooth brush, paste, soap, bandanas, sunscreen, insect repellent, hunter's specialties 12x12 field wipes, Chapstick, qtips)

2 contractor bags

Fire kit

ETON crank radio

Signal mirror

Para cord

Duct tape

Water treatment kit

Sewing kit

1 Stanley stainless steel mug with 2 drinking cups inside

Various food that I rotate in and out (I have a small food bag that holds some mtn house meals and 4 MREs, power/cliff bars, 1 LRP, drink mixes- I take this in and out of the car every time I get in or out from spring to mid fall and have had to deal with any spoiling)

2 1 liter platypus bladders

Minimum of three flashlights and enough batteries and red filters for all of them.

I am sure I am missing something, or a bunch of things

Ok, I'm assuming the condoms are to be used as emergency canteens? Are there uses for the tampons and pads other that the obvious?

Instead of a wrist rocket, why not a small air rifle? I can't hit s$&$ with my sling shot, but I can get consistent head shots on squirrels at 20 yards with my air rifle.

What do you carry for water treatment? After Sandy, I bought a bottle of tincture of iodine, because supposedly it lasts forever.

I just posted this minutes ago in another thread, but the Savage 24c is great. It takes down into a compact little package, and with .22 and 20 gauge barrels, it can take all sorts of ammo to take down anything from a mouse up to a deer.

that all said, i am working on a 72 hour bag.........

Which is why I'm not bugging out, and why it's more important to bug in. The get home bag concept was for situations where you are stuck and need supplies for that moment, to get you home. Not running for the hills or the mountains.