Ray Ray

Get Home Bag, what's in yours?

This is a great thread. I need to start working on this because my stay in plan won't work out if I'm 60 miles away from my house at my office.

And like everyone said the scary part will be if I'm walking home 60 miles, then I'm sure thousands of others will be too so I need to plan accordingly but also be prepared to defend if sh*t gets hairy...

Good lists above though.

So do you guys keep these items in your car or at the office/ desk where you work?

Which is why I'm not bugging out, and why it's more important to bug in. The get home bag concept was for situations where you are stuck and need supplies for that moment, to get you home. Not running for the hills or the mountains.

Exactly! I only need the ability to get home in a crisis. For a storm or natural disaster, I have insurance and basic necessities. If there is a crisis big enough, I have what I need in my trunk to get me home, protect myself, keep me warm, fix any bleeds and huff it home on foot.

There are a lot of good items already mentioned here in the thread. Here are a few others I haven't seen mentioned:

-Frontier drinking straw (cheap emergency water filter)

-Moleskin pads for your feet

-A ball cap or other type of hat

-paper maps of your commonly traveled area

-some sort of 2way walkies to communicate with others taking the trip if cellphones go kaput

-some sort of 2way walkies to communicate with others taking the trip if cellphones go kaput

If cellphones and phone lines/texting went down, man oh man would that become a hairy situation even more quickly!

If cellphones and phone lines/texting went down, man oh man would that become a hairy situation even more quickly!

During Sandy we had tough times making calls / finding power to keep phones charged. Those little Motorola radios saved our rear ends.

So me and a couple of friends have a side business where we build out various prep kits. We started out with hunter's and outdoor kits for backpackers and hikers and it has gradually grown.

We do three levels. First is a small kit for a briefcase or backpack in a condor t&t pouch with a small gerber knife, multi tool (gerber/leatherman), para cord, duct tape, small first aid kit, emergency blanket, whistle, signal mirror, fire kit, first aid, water purification tabs, platypus, contractor bag, and a few other small items.

Building this yourself is probably about 150 to 200 bucks. It is small, lightweight, EXPENSIVE, but totally reliable.

They then grow in components, size and price. You do get what you pay for and quality does not come cheap.look for quality, trusted brand names and spend the money on it. During sandy and Irene, I had more than a couple of friends suffer major disappointment with the three day 80$ survival backpack.

Things I always suggest are coms, first aid (and medication), hygiene, water and fire kits, security and food. This is for get home or bug in. For bug out scenarios, you better be the first to leave or you will be the last on the road.

And those Motorola walkies and my Eton radios saved us on more than one occasion during Irene and sandy!