cboncal1972

Moved from connecticut

I had my state and city pistol permit in connecticut and i did not renew one and a half years ago, since i moved to New Jersey. I have been living here in this state for about 2 years now and would like to apply for a permit here. I dont know where to begin. I live in Ocean City. I am a single mom age 40. To get my permit in CT i had to take a glass but that was years ago, could someone please tell me where to begin and what needs to be done here to be able to get my permit. Thank you..

Yeah - what Johnny.Montana said - don't bother applying, you will only get denied - a guy who was kidnapped TWICE because of mistaken identity couldn't get a ccw in NJ - move back to CT if you want your permit.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it is what it is.

Ok, things work differently here.

If you bought your gun in CT, it is 100% legal to own it here, as long as you don't own a NJ defined assault weapon or something on the banned list. I may be making assumptions about a 40 year old single mom. But my guess is that you have either a 9mm pistol or .38 revolver. Whatever you have is probably fine, although you should let us know.

There are basically three types of permits in New Jersey.

#1. Your FID or Firearms Purchaser Identification Card. This is a little manila card that allows you to purchase rifles and shotguns as well as ammunition in New Jersey.

#2. A Pistol Purchase Permit. This allows you to purchase a pistol. I assume that you already have a pistol, so unless you want another handgun, you don't need this.

#3. Firearms Carry Permit. You will never, ever get this.

Of anything, you need an FID, especially if you intend to purchase ammunition. Go to your local police department and ask them for a form for a Firearms Identification Card. Fill out the form, supply two references of people who you know will be nice enough to return the investigations paperwork in a timely manner, and then sit back and wait. You should get your FID in about 30 days, although it could be longer, depending on the town.

Welcome to New Jersey and the Forums.

Now watch this video and show it to all of your friends:

Hello and welcome to the NJGF. I'm new here myself but everyone here is very nice and usually very helpful with almost any question you might have. I went through the permit process myself this past Summer. You will not get a concealed carry permit in NJ. Virtually no one but law enforcement is usually granted one. Welcome to NJ! lol The first thing you need to do is go to your local police department and ask for an application for an FID (Firearms Identification Card) and Permit Application. You need to fill out the form where indicated but not sign it. You will have to go back to the PD with it and sign it in front of a detective after answering some questions. The PD will usually give you instructions about what forms of ID you need to have with you when you go back with the application. After you've provided ID, signed the form and spoken with a detective you will be given a form with instructions for fingerprinting (it is required for an FID and permit). You have to pay a $60.00 fee online and then make your appointment. Once the fingerprinting is done the police department is notified. They then proceed with an extensive background check. (My suggestion would be to also bring any papers you had from when you lived in CT along with other required ID). If all goes well, the detective signs off on the paperwork and then it is passed on to the police chief for signature and then you wil be notified to come pick up your FID and permit(s) and sign them in the presence of either the detective or an assigned person. The permits issued by NJ are good for registering firearms you already own or used as the required paperwork to purchase a new firearm. You are required to register any firearms you do own. You can request as many permits as you want, keeping in mind though that from the date of signature by the police chief all permits issued at that time are only good for 90 days from the date of issuance, so the minute they are released to you the clock is ticking. The fee for an FID card is $5 and $2 for each permit. In total the entire process took about 4 weeks from start to finish for me. In some cases it is longer depending on the township you live in. My experience was painless. I'm a proud new gun owner and it's nice to see another woman on the board. There are more than us two, but since I'm new to the forums as well I haven't spoken to many of them.

Nice post, however, one does not have to register any firearms that are already purchased and owned. There is no mandatory gun registration in NJ, except for handguns acquired while a NJ resident, excluding inherited guns.

Nice post, however, one does not have to register any firearms that are already purchased and owned. There is no mandatory gun registration in NJ, except for handguns acquired while a NJ resident, excluding inherited guns.

Emphasis added. Gun registration in NJ is entirely voluntary and most gun lawyers will recommend that you NOT register your guns. Any handguns purchased in NJ on a NJ Pistol Permit are automatically registered though as the Permit form says "Permit to Purchase and Form of Handgun Registration".

OK, here we go again. An FPID (that's Firearms Purchaser Identification) card is needed to purchase long guns or handgun ammo in NJ. It is good for as long as you live at that address (and DL & FPID addresses must match). You can purchase as many long guns as you want, once you have this. No constraints. In order to purchase a handgun, an individual Permit to Purchase (P2P) a handgun must be obtained for each handgun you desire. You may only purchase one handgun in any 30 day period - one gun a month (OGAM) - unless you fall under and have applied for one of the exemptions (don't worry about that for now - just keep it simple).

The process for applying for your FPID and/or P2P's is the same and consists of three elements:

Element 1 - The Application - Form STS-033. This is used for both FPID's and P2P's and you may apply for both simultaneously - just check the applicable boxes at the top of the form.

Element 2 - Fingerprinting or Non-criminal Background Check - Since this is your initial application you will have to be fingerprinted. NJ now uses a third party entity (Morpho-Trak aka Sagem Morpho) to accomplish this. Your PD will give you instructions and you will have to make an appointment. There is a charge for fingerprinting - not sure exactly but it's appx $60. Subsequent applications (i.e. for P2P's) will not require fingerprinting, just the completion of form SP-212A. (Non-criminal Background Check). This form is printed on yellow paper and is only available from your PD. There is an $18 charge for the Non-criminal Background check (MO made out to NJSP / SBI Division).

Element 3 - Mental Health Background Check - Complete form SP-066. This form must be signed in the presence of the investigationg police officer or their designate.

The application and Mental health forms (STS-033 and SP-066 respectively) are available on line at the NJSP website or are available from your PD.

The FPID card is $5 and the P2P's are $2 each. The P2P's are good for 90 days, and at the discretion of your PD can be extended for another 90 days (180 days total from date of issue).

Please note that any additional forms or requirements beyond those listed above are illegal. The police are supposed to be bound by the statutes just as we, as gunowners, are - that is not always the case. If they place an additional form or requirement in the process it is up to you whether to resist/refuse or comply - in either case I'd notify the NJ2AS and let them know - they are working on getting all PD's to comply with the law.

You can apply for as many P2P's as you want - but unless you file for an exemption, you can only use one every 30 days. Do not let the PD tell you you cannot have the number of P2P's you have requested - they cannot restrict that.

That about wraps it up. Good luck.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I'm a few minutes from you... from what i read above if you are planning/want to buy a new gun then you can follow most of the advice above and apply to purchase.

If you already have a gun AND you don't want to purchase anything then you don't have to do anything.... just keep what you have in house and no need to register anything.

And if you want to carry something in your car or purse.... you can't in NJ !!!

this is what i've gathered from everything above... i'm a rookie here just trying to simplify everything.

I'm a few minutes from you... from what i read above if you are planning/want to buy a new gun then you can follow most of the advice above and apply to purchase.

If you already have a gun AND you don't want to purchase anything then you don't have to do anything.... just keep what you have in house and no need to register anything.

And if you want to carry something in your car or purse.... you can't in NJ !!!

this is what i've gathered from everything above... i'm a rookie here just trying to simplify everything.

You need to have the FPID (that's Firearms Purchaser Identification) card to purchase ammunition that can be used in a handgun in NJ (9mm, .40S&W, .45, .22lr, etc.) Not trying to nit pick, but saying "nothing" isn't really accurate. If you plan on purchasing ammo online you must be in possession of a FPID or you are guilty of a crime of the 4th degree IIRC.