Maximus

New member from South Jersey

Hi Maximus,

Welcome to the forums! I am from south jersey myself and live in West Deptford so that's pretty close to me. Regarding an AR It truely depends on two things which are budget and what you would like to use it for. I personally have a s&w ORC 16" 5.56/223 carbine version with a red dot sight with a 3x magnifier. It gets about a 4" group at 100 yards but I believe it could do better with a short AR scope. I designed it to be more tactical for target shooting since I like that style. If you are looking to shoot competition for accuracy go with either a 20" or 24" upper or if you are looking for a run and gun sport such as 3 gun go with an 18.5" barrel since its a good middle ground. NJ has a lot of compliance laws so be careful if you decide to put one together. If you get a upper make sure it has a muzzle brake or compensator that is pinned and welded. The twist rate is also important when selecting an AR since this determins the best weight of bullets for the gun. If you go with a higher twist rate such as a 1 in 7 you can shoot heavier grain bullets while if you go with an off the shelf model it will likely be either 1 in 8 or 1 in 9 which is typically made for lighter 55gr bullets but this will vary based upon your gun. Personally I have found that my gun likes the 62 grain ammo since it holds better in the wind making it more accurate. If you are looking into brands I would check into DPMS for a more budget rifle $700-$800 or if you are looking into a little bit more money look into either S&W or Bushmaster which is also known as Windham Armory. I hope this helps and if you have any questions please feel free to ask.