Solo

First-time FID applicant hit a snag: can you change a personal reference?

Good day everyone,

Thanks to the AS2NJ for linking me with this forum!

I'm a first time applicant and have a unique issue (or at least one I have yet to come across reading this board).

-Forms to local PD 6/26/12

-Fingerprints at SM 7/10/12

I've patiently waiting until last week I decided to give the local PD a call and politely inquire how far along the process was.

It turns out they were waiting for one of my reference letters to return. The reference I listed was a family friend, and it turns out he was recently diagnosed with cancer.. chemo, the whole 9 yards.

I'd obviously like to exercise my Constitutional Right but would feel terrible if this person had to fill this dumb thing out in their situation.

I was going to call my local PD and explain the situation and offer an alternative reference I know to be willing, in good health, but was hoping to gain some insight or an idea on how best to go about it.

Thank you for reading through this and for any any input you may have.

Were I you, I'd bring them another signed form application all filled out with your new reference listed instead of your old reference, along with a paper signed letter from yourself to the department notifying them in writing about the medical condition of your prior reference, and how you therefore are providing an alternative reference. Keep photocopies of both the new form and your letter. That way, if this becomes an issue because the police department is being unreasonable, you have documented your reasonable request and their unreasonable refusal or delay.

Remember what is said on the phone is subject to flawed recollection and therefore cannot be proven, but what is put on paper is documented. If you correspond with them in writing they know that if they don't do their job that they will eventually receive a call from a lawyer. They don't want that.

"Restarting the clock" is nonsense - the law is supposed to be they issue it within 30 days, not after 30 days. If all they are waiting on is references, technically they could issue it to you right now if you brought your reference with you in person and they did their job.

kman I like where your head's at! Sounds like a perfectly reasonable fix. They process applications Tuesday's 7-9 so I'll type up the letter explaining the situation and re-populating the form for next week. I'll let every know how it goes & thanks again for the responses thus far.

solo, i'm from verona and i have some friends from EH. from what i know of the process from my friends, the PD is very cooperative and do not harass you. good luck with your issue, i hope and have good faith in the EHPD

I know that Middletown will allow you to change references. It all depends on how much the PD wants to bust balls.

This has been my experience. I called up about progress and was told one reference was not back even after they mailed out a second copy to them. They asked me if I wanted to pick another one. I declined and said I'd get on their case.