Cam'mown

Anyone have experience with .22 revolvers?

22LR revolvers are nice. What do you intend to do with yours?

Double action ones usually have a heavier trigger pull because of the heavier springs necessary to make the rimfire more reliable. That would be negated with a single-action, however, both might require more force than you are considering to cock the hammers.

In my estimation, .22 revolvers are also a pain to clean, as you need to clean each one of the cylinders, etc. The Single-Ten looks nice, but I wouldn't want to clean it. I think you can load two of the cylinders at a time, but you would probably still have to eject each spent case individually.

I don't think you can go wrong with either a Ruger or Smith & Wesson revolver in .22LR. And, for a budget revolver, you might want to consider a Taurus 990/992 or a Charter Arms Pathfinder. As far as single-action goes, either a Single Six or a Bearcat would be just find, depending on your preference. For just a plinker, I would strongly consider the double-action only Ruger LCR (if it had an aftermarket grip that would fit all fingers).

I think a .22LR revolver is a staple in most people's gun batteries/collections. In particular the older Single Sixes by Ruger which you cannot safely carry unless you carry with the hammer resting on an empty cylinder, they have an awesome trigger if they have not been modified. The Single Six w/ the combo cylinders .22LR and .22WMR is very nice. The Taurus 992 that is DA/SA and can be swapped between these two calibers might also be a nice one to get.

.22LR revolvers are nice because they will teach you trigger control.

If you are looking strictly at S/A revolvers, Ruger is a quality piece and there really aren't many others. Not sure why the need for >6 rounds in a S/A rimfire, and think you would be better served with a Single-Six Convertible. The Bearcat is a fixed-sight gun - FWIW. If D/A's are also under consideration any S&W variation (Dave has named a few) would suffice. Larger round capacity may be useful here if you are going to try your hand at rimfire games. Ruger also makes their SP101 in a nice rimfire version - even their LCR, but again, fixed sights and a snubby to boot. Which you buy may largely depend on its intended purpose. Have fun looking.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

My intent is just plinking. I have a .22 M&P pistol and looking to get another so my wife and I can both shoot simultaneously.

I'm into the single action. I like the "gunfighter" style so that's why I'm leaning towards the Rugers. They have the look without the price tag of a colt

Pizza Bob,

that is really my hang up, fixed or adjustable sights. Fixed, I go with bearcat, adj. I choose between the single six and ten.

As far as the needing more than six shots, I just didn't feel like reloading as much, but I still may go with the Single six because the color options are more plentiful.

Pizza Bob,

As far as the needing more than six shots, I just didn't feel like reloading as much...

Don't forget, you also have to unload the empties one at a time. When I'm plinking, I like to load five at a time, just prefer the cadence of loading 5 / shooting 5 / unloading 5 - but that's just me.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I would look at the Ruger SR-22, instead. Or, perhaps the new Ruger 22/45 Lite. I think you might enjoy shooting it more than a revolver. have handled both of these and I think it would be very nice for your wife or kids. A .22LR revolver can be hard to manipulate.

I would look at the Ruger SR-22, instead. Or, perhaps the new Ruger 22/45 Lite. I think you might enjoy shooting it more than a revolver. have handled both of these and I think it would be very nice for your wife or kids. A .22LR revolver can be hard to manipulate.

Well I really like the cowboy style and the SR is way too small anyways. I already have a semi auto in M&P 22, so looking for something different

As far as my wife is concerned, she prefers her .40 Sig lol

What is hard to manipulate with the revolver?

Well I really like the cowboy style and the SR is way too small anyways. I already have a semi auto in M&P 22, so looking for something different

As far as my wife is concerned, she prefers her .40 Sig lol

What is hard to manipulate with the revolver?

1. The double-action triggers tend to be a little heavier than their center fire counterparts, to insure ignition of all brands of rimfire cartridges.

2. The use of a Speed-Loader can be slightly problematic, especially under stress, since those little 40 gr. slugs don't weigh enough to make good use of gravity.

3. Most folks don't know any better, so they use the same .22 cleaning brush for the chambers in the cylinder, instead of a slightly over-sized .25 which works great getting the crud out!

That all being said, I LOVE my .22 Masterpiece! A really accurate gun and a great S/A trigger! A Smith and Wesson revolver with either a 6" or 8 3/8" tube will out-shoot a .22 M and P or any D/A auto all day long! They're not cheap--but then nuthin' worth a crap these days IS! The NSSF uses the 10-shot wheelies for the "First Shots" Programs around the Country. The same guns get shipped from one venue to the next, so they must be able to take the abuse!

In addition to the expert advice above, I also saw this:

Well I really like the cowboy style and the SR is way too small anyways.

My intent is just plinking. I have a .22 M&P pistol and looking to get another so my wife and I can both shoot simultaneously.

I'm into the single action. I like the "gunfighter" style so that's why I'm leaning towards the Rugers. They have the look without the price tag of a colt

Sounds to me like you're looking for any reasons you should not buy the Ruger, and I have none: BUY THE RUGER! Great guns, dirt-cheap in .22, plenty of new and used options, and lots of fun. I've shot the Six a fair amount, and it's an excellent (and probably the best) choice given what you've said you want in a .22.

In addition to the expert advice above, I also saw this

Sounds to me like you're looking for any reasons you should not buy the Ruger, and I have none: BUY THE RUGER! Great guns, dirt-cheap in .22, plenty of new and used options, and lots of fun. I've shot the Six a fair amount, and it's an excellent (and probably the best) choice given what you've said you want in a .22.

Basically correct.. just checking on any reasons I shouldn't like experiences from others.

I couldn't think of any myself, so I figured is ask my gun peers.

Basically correct.. just checking on any reasons I shouldn't like experiences from others.

I couldn't think of any myself, so I figured is ask my gun peers.

No worries! Should have been a smiley face or something after my last post - I do like the single six/ten guns and would have gone that route, but my wife likes our S&W 686, so we are going the 617 route instead. And since I already have a few 22s (including a 22/45), the Ruger got pushed down the list. Also, how great is it to have a significant other that enjoys and supports shooting?

No worries! Should have been a smiley face or something after my last post - I do like the single six/ten guns and would have gone that route, but my wife likes our S&W 686, so we are going the 617 route instead. And since I already have a few 22s (including a 22/45), the Ruger got pushed down the list. Also, how great is it to have a significant other that enjoys and supports shooting?

Kind of an old thread, but I had to reply to this. :D

I went with a 617 because I also have a 686, and the 617 makes a great training tool. It's a slightly smaller frame (K to L) but the weight and balance is the same. The trigger is kind of heavy on the 617 (for reliability, as someone said) but it makes the 686's trigger feel that much better. If you decide to go DA, go Smith.

And yes, having an SO who's supportive of shooting is a wonderful thing.

Some have mentioned DA 22 revolvers usually have heavier triggers. This is true but you can always deal with a heavy trigger. Its more important for the trigger to be smooth.

While ill agree a smooth trigger is important, when you have an 18lb trigger its sort of a moot point

A mix between a manageable weighted trigger and a smooth pull is best.

A good gunsmith can get a double action trigger on a centerfire revolver down to about 4.5 lbs, I do think rimfire needs to be a bit heavier by default by the way it strikes, but how much I do not know.

We have had duds with our 617 from time to time. Sometimes they will work the 2nd time around, sometimes they don't. I'm not a big fan of .22's, but we use them. I'd rather take my 686 or 610 for a ride than any of my .22's, but sometimes you just gotta shoot the little stuff to save some loot. And when the wife shoots about as much as I do, .22's get a lot of use.

I just got a used 617 s&w revo and its a lot of fun. Four inch barrel balances nice. Trigger a little heavy but smooth. Smith and Wesson does not recommend lightening the trigger b/c of light primer hits.

Plan on getting a couple ds-10 speed loaders and a loading block that' holds 100 so reloading will be a lot faster. More time shooting less time loading up.

Update: the 100 round loading block and ds-10 speed loaders are the way to go for this revolver. I load up the block before I leave for the range since its not a magazine. At the range I can load the speed loaders in a couple seconds. Revolver gets loaded with 10 rounds almost instantly. It's a great system. I don't have to sit there and individually hand load each 22 cartridge into the revolver cylinder when I get to the range. I can spend more time shooting rather than loading.

I just got a used 617 s&w revo and its a lot of fun. Four inch barrel balances nice. Trigger a little heavy but smooth. Smith and Wesson does not recommend lightening the trigger b/c of light primer hits.

Plan on getting a couple ds-10 speed loaders and a loading block that' holds 100 so reloading will be a lot faster. More time shooting less time loading up.

Update: the 100 round loading block and ds-10 speed loaders are the way to go for this revolver. I load up the block before I leave for the range since its not a magazine. At the range I can load the speed loaders in a couple seconds. Revolver gets loaded with 10 rounds almost instantly. It's a great system. I don't have to sit there and individually hand load each 22 cartridge into the revolver cylinder when I get to the range. I can spend more time shooting rather than loading.

Transporting loaded speed loaders is fully legal no matter what. No need to cart the loading block to the range.

Transporting loaded speed loaders is fully legal no matter what. No need to cart the loading block to the range.

Thanks for the info Jon. Didn't know that. Assumed speed loaders where defined as magazines. The loading block is still the way to go for economy sake. One loading block is much cheaper than buying 10 speed loaders.

Thanks for the info Jon. Didn't know that. Assumed speed loaders where defined as magazines. The loading block is still the way to go for economy sake. One loading block is much cheaper than buying 10 speed loaders.

This makes it sound like you feel that a loaded mag is an issue during transport. There nothing illegal with transporting a loaded mag as long as it's not in the firearm. Some choose not to transport a loaded mag for extra precation, however you are not legally required to do so.