z2886

Ruger sr22 vs Walther p22

I was going to buy an SR22 a couple of months ago after trying out buddy's gun. It's small, fed & shot reliably and reasonably priced. However, when I was ordering one, it seemed to be back ordered.

I ended up going for a M&P22. A little bit more money but it felt better in my hands. If you already have M&P's in larger pistol calibers, the M&P22 also makes a great practice gun. You might want to look at one as an added option on your list.

My SR22 has ~400 rounds through it (CCI minimag and Winchester HPs) and has been 100% reliable so far. I'm going to try other ammo, but I have faith in its reliability.

My concern with the Walther is that the magnesium slide is prone to cracking. The SR22 has an aluminum slide.

My SR22 has ~400 rounds through it (CCI minimag and Winchester HPs) and has been 100% reliable so far. I'm going to try other ammo, but I have faith in its reliability.

My concern with the Walther is that the magnesium slide is prone to cracking. The SR22 has an aluminum slide.

Ditto. The magnesium slide on the Walther was why I went Ruger.

Mine has been 100% reliable, although haven't shot it much (200 rounds).

I have the Walther P22. It is a great shooter, great quality, but IMHO it is a kid's or a woman's pistol. It is very small.

It is pickey on ammo. You must fire high velocity clean-burning ammo. CCI mini-Mags function best. Rem Golden Bullets and Fiocci do not have enough power and I got FTE's on roughly 20-to-30% of the rounds.

Now that I am running CCI exclusively, its a great shooter. My kids love it.

I looked at the Ruger and Walther, went with the M&P22. Over 5000 rounds and it is very reliable with Federal bulk. Made my decision based on the size. The M&P is the same size as an M&P 9.

Over 5000 rounds? ... I have a lot of catching up to do ;)

M&P 22 would be my suggestion over a Walther .22. Depends partly what you're after. Another approach would be a Glock 9mm (or whatever) and buy the .22 conversion. Would cost you more but if you think you'll be focusing more on Glocks it could provide some benefits.

hth

TheWombat

I would look into the Sig P226, http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/p226-classic-22.aspx

Built on the same frame as all other models, and allows you to swap barrels and slides to go into a 9mm, .40. In other words, you can get 2 guns, one permit. Added benefit, is it is a full size pistol. I have the Walther p22 with an extended barrel, and will be looking to sell soon.

P226-Classic22LR-Hero-Detail.jpg

Walther is very tiny in the hand. Don't know about the others. I've never had a problem using bulk ammo with mine tho... Its mostly just for when I bring new shooters to the range with me anyway... Go to your lgs and handle them see what feels better in your hands

I would look into the Sig P226, http://www.sigsauer....classic-22.aspx

Built on the same frame as all other models, and allows you to swap barrels and slides to go into a 9mm, .40. In other words, you can get 2 guns, one permit. Added benefit, is it is a full size pistol. I have the Walther p22 with an extended barrel, and will be looking to sell soon.

P226-Classic22LR-Hero-Detail.jpg

I have the Sig P226 in 9mm and also have the .22 conversion. It is a fairly pricey way to go compared to other options. Also with the Sig the slide doesn't lock back on the last round. Depending on what skills/techniques you want to practice that may or may not be an issue.

TheWombat

I just recently bought the SR22 after going through the same comparisons, went with the Ruger because it's 100% american made, eats up any ammo you feed it (which will keep cost of shooting even lower if you buy bulk), comes with 2 mags, comes with a bigger grip and finger extensions for the mags in case your hands are a bit bigger. Very happy with my purchase even though I've only gone to the range with it once. The only problem I had was with one round that didn't load but I took that round out and put it back in the magazine and it loaded just fine. Had a great time with it and can't wait to hit the range again this week.

RxB

ive had my sr22 for a while now. about 1500 rds through it. Its definitely a fun little pistol. i shoot the cheap bulk ammo through it all of the time and it works great! only issues ive had with mine was with the blazer bulk ammo. i had a few jams with it. the remington and federal bulk has worked flawless though

The Ruger seems more reliable and a better avenue than the Walther. The Ruger has nice sights and is more ergonomic than the Walther. It also feels like it is better quality than the Walther. As was pointed out, the Magazine disconnect is not that great, and Ruger could have done better with the trigger. Still for a small .22LR semi-automatic, I think it is the best value out there.