Sign in to follow this  
GeorgeHM

Question about Hunter's Testing.

So, if I call Fish and Game and ask to speak to the person who runs education at Cherry Ridge, I could maybe set myself up to attend? That would be awesome.

hmmm. I've NEVER shot a bow with any proficiency before. Should I just forget about it and only do rifle and shotgun?

For the archery test, you will need to group 3 out of 5 arrows in the kill zone of the target from ~15 yards. If you are not proficient enough to do that then I'd suggest practicing and taking the test at a later date. The one upside is that if you know someone with a crossbow, you can take your test with that. Archery is the only discipline that you must provide your own weapon for.

For the archery test, you will need to group 3 out of 5 arrows in the kill zone of the target from ~15 yards. If you are not proficient enough to do that then I'd suggest practicing and taking the test at a later date. The one upside is that if you know someone with a crossbow, you can take your test with that. Archery is the only discipline that you must provide your own weapon for.

ok. definitely not proficient and I don't own an crossbow so that's out.

I spoke to someone at F&W and they told me I could just try and walk on at CR or Black River and see if they will take me. She wouldn't give me odds on getting turned away that it depends on who doesn't show up. or I cna wait for them to post the November dates. What do you all think I should do (I'm sorry to hijack the OP's thread, but it seemed like he got answered and this is related)

Jim -- Are you familiar with a muzzleloader? You will need to load and fire a muzzleloader for the rifle test -- I'm not sure if you have to hit the target or not but you will need to fire it -- They will provide the gun

Shotgun test you will need to shoot at moving clay birds -- you do not have to hit them just show control of the shotgun -- They will provide the shotgun

I took all the tests 20 some years ago -- Jake just took his shotgun test last season -- we went out a few times last season but got skunked -- Maybe this year will be better for him

Jim -- Are you familiar with a muzzleloader? You will need to load and fire a muzzleloader for the rifle test -- I'm not sure if you have to hit the target or not but you will need to fire it -- They will provide the gun

Shotgun test you will need to shoot at moving clay birds -- you do not have to hit them just show control of the shotgun -- They will provide the shotgun

I took all the tests 20 some years ago -- Jake just took his shotgun test last season -- we went out a few times last season but got skunked -- Maybe this year will be better for him

I have loaded and fired black powder a few times. But they were both cap and ball. So I've never shot an inline.

I'm only concerned with bow because I've NEVER successfully shot a bow before an I dont own one anyway.