Jmac92

9mm Carbine

Why not go with a rifle caliber carbine like an AR or AK? Much more power and available range. as well as available parts and accessories.

If i was going to go with a pistol cal carbine though it would be this one..just becuase its cool and reasonably priced

If you buy a 9mm Hipoint carbine, give it a complete functions check before laying down money. I bought one brand new and the magazine wouldn't stay in the gun; had to go back to the factory. On their inventory/repair sheet they replaced/repaired like 10 different things.(on a brand new gun) Biggest piece of crap I ever bought, save some dough and get a CX4 Storm, IMHO.

ETA: I also have a Kel-tec sub9,(predecessor to the sub2000) it is a good gun, but IMO more designed to be a truck gun or something along those lines. Not really designed to be a range gun if you catch my drift, it's light and folds in half it's there if you need it.

I had a hipoint carbine but sold it when I saw how it worked.

Instead of having an ejector to knock the empty brass off the extractor and out of the side, the firing pin does double duty as an ejector.

Think about that a minute to realize how wrong a design that is.

First, when you pull the slide back to clear a live round from the chamber, the round is knocked loose from the extractor by the firing pin slamming against the primer. That is absolutely nuts.

Second, with the firing pin doing double duty as an extractor it needs to stick out of the bolt face like a quarter inch. Lots of force on a long thin pin means the firing pin gets bent a lot and will need to be replaced often. Mine was bending already and I only shot like 200 rounds through it.

Hence you have at best a firing pin that at best is overstressed and bends and breaks, and at worst the possibility of an out of battery cartridge detonation if you pull the slide back in a brisk manner to unload your gun.

I couldn't sell that hipoint carbine quick enough after I realized what crappy shortcuts they took in its design.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2

Instead of having an ejector to knock the empty brass off the extractor and out of the side, the firing pin does double duty as an ejector.

First, when you pull the slide back to clear a live round from the chamber, the round is knocked loose from the extractor by the firing pin slamming against the primer. That is absolutely nuts.

Second, with the firing pin doing double duty as an extractor it needs to stick out of the bolt face like a quarter inch. Lots of force on a long thin pin means the firing pin gets bent a lot and will need to be replaced often. Mine was bending already and I only shot like 200 rounds through it.

Hence you have at best a firing pin that at best is overstressed and bends and breaks, and at worst the possibility of an out of battery cartridge detonation if you pull the slide back in a brisk manner to unload your gun.

I couldn't sell that hipoint carbine quick enough after I realized what crappy shortcuts they took in its design.

That also sounds like the express route to "oops, I went full auto again!".

I would like to see someone load a primer only round and hand cylcle it to see if out of batter ignition is really possible. I know by theory it sounds possible... but could they really have overlooked that during the design process? plus there are no cases of it happening as far as i can find on the interwebz

The operative factor is how hard you pull the slide back. It seems to me that if you really snap that bolt backwards quickly, you run a big risk. And not all primers are the same anyhow. You get a primer that goes off with a lighter strike, then it is more likely to go off in this gun.

I forgot - I also had problems shooting Wolf steel case 9mm in the HiPoint. The primers were too hard, the hammer couldn't put a big enough dent in them to set them off. Which makes sense, the firing pin is already overstressed so they don't feel confident to put a nice strong hammer strike on it. A strong hammer strike on that firing pin is going to break it even sooner.

That firing pin really weirded me out. If you take the firing pin out, it's like an inch long because it has to pass through the bolt too. The thing's really thin and really long, and sure you can send the rifle back to HiPoint to get fixed whenever you want but I want to buy something that doesn't break in the first place.

I am really surprised that nobody makes a good affordable 9mm carbine. The market has got to be there. You have two choices - a cheap questionably designed HiPoint and a ridiculously expensive Beretta CX4 with a messed up trigger. Or I suppose a third option the Sub2000 which looks like something out of Miami Vice.

Why doesn't Glock get smart and make a carbine? They would sell a bazillion of them.

I am really surprised that nobody makes a good affordable 9mm carbine. The market has got to be there. You have two choices - a cheap questionably designed HiPoint and a ridiculously expensive Beretta CX4 with a messed up trigger. Or I suppose a third option the Sub2000 which looks like something out of Miami Vice.

Why doesn't Glock get smart and make a carbine? They would sell a bazillion of them.

My sentiments exactly..I waffled for quite awhile whether to try and do a 9mm AR build, or pony up extra cash for the elusive Sub 2000, and ended up with the Hi-Point, which has been quite fun, accurate, but also NOT a HD gun, I don't quite trust it for those purposes.

A glock 9mm carbine?

I would buy one in a heartbeat!

I have never fired the HiPoint or Sub 2000.

I have fired the MP5 and the CX4 Storm.

I can tell you that I would 100% trust the CX4 Storm with my life. The CX4 is basically my home defense gun. With 15 + 1 inside the magazine well and 2 more 15 round magazines on the sidesaddle magazine holder I feel pretty well protected against anything that my come in my house short of a tank.

Jeebus! That optic is way high over the bore. I got my optic much lower using an ADM mount.

Is that so you can use the iron sights too? Are you using a chin mount instead off a cheek mount on the stock?

I don't know if you have seen this before but, you could also try this to put a riser on the stock - http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/HK-Cetme-Cheek-Piece-For-Scope-83p1925.htm

Apparently ruger made a 9mm police carbine that uses the same mags as the P95. It was well regarded but they discontinued it in 2007. A few months ago someone on here was selling one. I wish I had bought it.

That is the Ruger PC9. Get one used off gunbroker. They were designed as police carbines, to ride in the trunks of cop cars. They have peep sights for quick target acquisition and are very accurate and super durable.

Hipoint 995ts. Its not pretty ut it does have a brute charm to it. Go to hipoint forums and see what people say about the carbine from longtime owners. Also check out nutnfancy whee he put the gun in paces over a period of time and seasons. I own one but that doesnt mean anything. Orry for the misspellings this tablet business is not for me..

There is but ONE on gunbroker for over 700.00!

Seems like convenience of use an durability didn't matter to the LE market. Clearly river should have marketed it towards the sport shooter who wants a carbine, wants to shoot inexpensively and wants not to have to buy different mags...basically they should have marketed it to.ME!!!! Lol

The pc9 just wasn't tacticool enough it seems.

The Fastfire is for quick short range work. And yes it is up there so that I can use the irons.

Jeebus! That optic is way high over the bore. I got my optic much lower using an ADM mount.

Is that so you can use the iron sights too? Are you using a chin mount instead off a cheek mount on the stock?

I don't know if you have seen this before but, you could also try this to put a riser on the stock - http://www.hkparts.n...ope-83p1925.htm

Seems like convenience of use an durability didn't matter to the LE market. Clearly Ruger should have marketed it towards the sport shooter who wants a carbine, wants to shoot inexpensively and wants not to have to buy different mags...basically they should have marketed it to.ME!!!! Lol

The pc9 just wasn't tacticool enough it seems.

While they are vey fun to shoot and the few I have played with are accurate and reliable, there are 2 main reasons that the PC9 didn't last very long on the LE market.

1) When it is all said and done it is no more than a big 9mm pistol, with all of the ballistic shortcomings therof. The rounds actually over penetrate, exhibit poor terminal ballistics, and won't go through soft armor.

2) Not very many agencies issue 9mm, and even less issue Ruger P89, P94, P94 or P95 (I actually don't know of any Agencies that issue Ruger pistols) so the perceived advantage of being able to use the same ammunition and magazine for your sidearm and "long gun" don't exist.

If you have to carry different mags for a long gun anyway, then you may as well carry one that fires a round that has a better ballistics and a track record of stopping fights faster than pistol rounds.

If they would have marketed this in the niche that is currently being filled by the Hi-Point abomination with civilian shooters, and/or made it accept mags/caliber from a pistol that Police Departments actually issued, Ruger would be making a killing.

9mm. It is Special Weapons SW5 that works!

Ahhhh... OK. I thought that suppressor looked too thin to fit over the MP5s barrel lugs.

While they are vey fun to shoot and the few I have played with are accurate and reliable, there are 2 main reasons that the PC9 didn't last very long on the LE market.

1) When it is all said and done it is no more than a big 9mm pistol, with all of the ballistic shortcomings therof. The rounds actually over penetrate, exhibit poor terminal ballistics, and won't go through soft armor.

2) Not very many agencies issue 9mm, and even less issue Ruger P89, P94, P94 or P95 (I actually don't know of any Agencies that issue Ruger pistols) so the perceived advantage of being able to use the same ammunition and magazine for your sidearm and "long gun" don't exist.

If you have to carry different mags for a long gun anyway, then you may as well carry one that fires a round that has a better ballistics and a track record of stopping fights faster than pistol rounds.

If they would have marketed this in the niche that is currently being filled by the Hi-Point abomination with civilian shooters, and/or made it accept mags/caliber from a pistol that Police Departments actually issued, Ruger would be making a killing.

Yep. Would love to have played with one.