Jmac92

9mm Carbine

There was a furry of mp5 clone builders in the early 2000's, but then HK clamped down with lawsuits. Then there were also some infighting, badmouthing, bad blood among the builders/part suppliers etc. and as a result, clone parts are harder to get. Original parts kits are just too expensive at $2-3k just for the bits.

There is one now on GB, but the guy's BIN is $1900. BTW, the HK licenced ATI MKE MP5(AT94) won't accept regular MP5 mags without an modification to the inside of the mag well, so you're stuck with their stubby 10 rounders.

Personally, I've been looking to replace my 9mm with a 10mm version, but those are even harder to find.

OH DUDE!! you're killing me!!!!!! I want one so bad!!

While they are vey fun to shoot and the few I have played with are accurate and reliable, there are 2 main reasons that the PC9 didn't last very long on the LE market.

1) When it is all said and done it is no more than a big 9mm pistol, with all of the ballistic shortcomings therof. The rounds actually over penetrate, exhibit poor terminal ballistics, and won't go through soft armor.

2) Not very many agencies issue 9mm, and even less issue Ruger P89, P94, P94 or P95 (I actually don't know of any Agencies that issue Ruger pistols) so the perceived advantage of being able to use the same ammunition and magazine for your sidearm and "long gun" don't exist.

If you have to carry different mags for a long gun anyway, then you may as well carry one that fires a round that has a better ballistics and a track record of stopping fights faster than pistol rounds.

If they would have marketed this in the niche that is currently being filled by the Hi-Point abomination with civilian shooters, and/or made it accept mags/caliber from a pistol that Police Departments actually issued, Ruger would be making a killing.

Ahhhh... OK. I thought that suppressor looked too thin to fit over the MP5s barrel lugs.

Young man, you have much to learn. In AMURICA, some agencies allow their officers to purchase their own duty firearms. As long as it meets their requirements. So, not every cop in the U.S. of A carry Glocks/M&P/Sig/Beretta/HK.

Young man, you have much to learn. In AMURICA, some agencies allow their officers to purchase their own duty firearms. As long as it meets their requirements. So, not every cop in the U.S. of A carry Glocks/M&P/Sig/Beretta/HK.

Maybe not every agency is issuing the big 5 manufacturers but probably close to 95% do, with Glock having the lion's share of that while S&W tries to take back the lead. Pretty dumb of Ruger to not realize that and manufacture these carbines, that were aimed specifically at the LEO market, accordingly.

My bud has a police trade in PC40 he picked up at a gunshow for a song, and I know New Brunswick PD has a bunch of PC40s as well.

If I find a cheap one, I will be on it like white on rice.

How about the JRC 9mm carbine? I have seen a few reviews on Youtube and they seem to be reviewed ok. I like the looks of them compared to the Beretta and they can be moved so that the empties come out on the left or right side. I shoot lefty so I like that

I've shot those ruger carbines before; Heavy and unbalanced would be the most polite way to describe them. A 9mm is so light in recoil, it certainly doesn't need that kind of weight to tame it. You can probably ditch the lame straight wrist stock for something different to improve the balance, but there's little you can do about that chunky receiver and 9mm blowback bolt. There's a myriad of options out there, mostly using glock mags, that are far superior.

I prefer this over MP-5s myself, although the MP-5 looks hotter. They do, however, tend to beat MP-5s in subgun matches. Much to the chagrin of the people that spent $20K on their MP-5s.

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=646

That's a can, not a barrel.

Anybody know how I can post a previous upload as a pic? I don't see an option for it and it doesn't like the "img" tags.

In subgun matches the idea is to have an as slow cyclic rate as possible. In the early days the MP5 were king, but then rate reduction kits were made available for the MAC type guns which allowed those to dominate.

The idea is not to have as slow a cyclic rate as possible. Watch the winners. Except for certain matches, people like about 750 rpm. Ever shoot an UZI in 600 (stock), 750, and 900? I have. In the same gun. 600 is bouncy. It's good when you really want to shoot singles but keep it on auto anyway. 750-800 is smooth as silk, especially for engaging multiple targets with a single trigger pull. 900 tends to walk and is used as burst. Same holds true for most SMGs.

That being said, some guys do well with the Sterlings, which are very slow, but it's because they F'ing rock :)

I was thinking about shooting singles on 'Full-auto" mode.

The idea is not to have as slow a cyclic rate as possible. Watch the winners. Except for certain matches, people like about 750 rpm. Ever shoot an UZI in 600 (stock), 750, and 900? I have. In the same gun. 600 is bouncy. It's good when you really want to shoot singles but keep it on auto anyway. 750-800 is smooth as silk, especially for engaging multiple targets with a single trigger pull. 900 tends to walk and is used as burst. Same holds true for most SMGs.

That being said, some guys do well with the Sterlings, which are very slow, but it's because they F'ing rock :)

Anyone recommend a 9mm carbine??

I've got a hi-point 995TS. I love it, haven't had a problem with it. Lots of positive reviews for it, for example here's a recent nutnfancy review of the 995TS:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouqWxI9oLG8

It is inexpensive, comes with a lifetime warranty, and is American made. I also have one in .45 ACP (4595TS), haven't had a problem with it either.

I had a hipoint carbine but sold it when I saw how it worked.

Instead of having an ejector to knock the empty brass off the extractor and out of the side, the firing pin does double duty as an ejector.

Think about that a minute to realize how wrong a design that is.

First, when you pull the slide back to clear a live round from the chamber, the round is knocked loose from the extractor by the firing pin slamming against the primer. That is absolutely nuts.

Second, with the firing pin doing double duty as an extractor it needs to stick out of the bolt face like a quarter inch. Lots of force on a long thin pin means the firing pin gets bent a lot and will need to be replaced often. Mine was bending already and I only shot like 200 rounds through it.

Hence you have at best a firing pin that at best is overstressed and bends and breaks, and at worst the possibility of an out of battery cartridge detonation if you pull the slide back in a brisk manner to unload your gun.

I couldn't sell that hipoint carbine quick enough after I realized what crappy shortcuts they took in its design.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2

Using the firing pin as the ejector is not a new idea. John Browning did it in the Browning 25 and he seemed to know what he was doing. I'm sure Hi Point thought this out before they used it in their design.

I've had a 995 for about 7 years with maybe a couple thousand rounds through it with zero problems, zero malfunctions. I don't use it as a SD gun but I really can't see why I shouldn't as its been 100% reliable. I see a 9mm carbine as a good idea for someone who can't shoot a handgun well or give you the ability to easily engage 100 yd targets and all you have is 9mm ammo available.