Sign in to follow this  
MosinRob

Brass frame gun powder load

Picked up a Griswold and Gunnison .44 BP Revolver. It has a brass frame. I was told you should be careful with type and load with brass revolvers, any truth? Also with a revolver like this, Whats the loading scheme like? As in Powder, wad(lubed?), ball(lubed???), etc.? Thanks guys.

I've heard brass frames can stretch over time, throwing everything off.

I personally use 2f exclusively. Less recoil and bite than 3f. And that means a little lower pressures as well.

I do the powder, lubed wad, then ball. I have found that any over ball lube is too runny in the summer, and too hard in the winter. I recently read an article written by European cap and ballets who use Vasiline as over ball lube.

Picked up a Griswold and Gunnison .44 BP Revolver. It has a brass frame. I was told you should be careful with type and load with brass revolvers, any truth? Also with a revolver like this, Whats the loading scheme like? As in Powder, wad(lubed?), ball(lubed???), etc.? Thanks guys.

Use no more than 25 grains of 3Fg Goex, or equivilent.

Powder, lubed wad, then ball on top. Have fun all day long.

Dave