RxBandit

Gun safety course

Apologies if this is the wrong place to ask, if it is just let me know where to move this to....

I'm looking to take a gun safety course, just bought my first gun on Friday (Ruger SR22) and one of the things I want to do is take a safety course to correct anything that I may be doing wrong and because it's a good thing to learn.

My wife actually saw a deal on Groupon for New Jersey Firearms Academy in Jersey City for $85. I don't think I can pass that up! Has anyone taken one of their courses? From what I've read, people are big fans of Gun For Hire in Belleville, which is actually close to me but for the price I'm really considering going to Jersey CIty but if I'm not mistaken it's not exactly the nice part of town...opinions?

thanks in advance

RxB

Any NRA Basic Pistol or First Steps Pistol will cover both safety and marksmanship. Courses beyond that will likely cover competition or self protection.

ANJRPC offers discounted Basic Pistol courses at different locations. www.anjrpc.org

Check out the NRA Instructors site; this will give names and dates of classes near you. Shop around for prices, the class price is set by the instructor and varies based on overhead. If you want to come to Cape May County I'll ba happy to give a class, but its a heck of a drive.

Congrats on the new gun and good job looking for a safety class, it will only help.

My wife and I took their Basic Pistol class and it was very informative and helpful. The instructors are very knowledgeable. The only thing that can be a drawback is that their "range" is located behind a bar lounge and it literally is a crawlspace with a backstop. Appearances aside, it was a good class. At $85 you can't go wrong.

My wife and I took their Basic Pistol class and it was very informative and helpful. The instructors are very knowledgeable. The only thing that can be a drawback is that their "range" is located behind a bar lounge and it literally is a crawlspace with a backstop. Appearances aside, it was a good class. At $85 you can't go wrong.

What he said. Letief is a good instructor and is very thorough on safe gun handling practices.

The "range" is awful.

I've had the NRA Basic Pistol with NJ Firearms Academy and was NOTimpressed. you can see my post in the training section of theforum from about a year ago. While it may cost a bit more I'd recommend somewhere like GunForHire, ShootNJ or another facility.

The range they use at NJ Firearms Academy is far from great and the actual course at the time I attended was poorly taught.

HTH

theWombat

Apologies if this is the wrong place to ask, if it is just let me know where to move this to....

I'm looking to take a gun safety course, just bought my first gun on Friday (Ruger SR22) and one of the things I want to do is take a safety course to correct anything that I may be doing wrong and because it's a good thing to learn.

My wife actually saw a deal on Groupon for New Jersey Firearms Academy in Jersey City for $85. I don't think I can pass that up! Has anyone taken one of their courses? From what I've read, people are big fans of Gun For Hire in Belleville, which is actually close to me but for the price I'm really considering going to Jersey CIty but if I'm not mistaken it's not exactly the nice part of town...opinions?

thanks in advance

RxB

My wife sent me the same thing. Figured for $85 I can't go wrong. Hitting up the Oct 6th class.

So I took tonight. It was really geared towards people who have never shot a pistol and wanted to give it a try. I've shot pistols and long arms before and knew everything they taught. I THOUGHT it was the beginner NRA course, which is what I really want to take. Either way, I got to shoot a bunch of different handguns(g17, xd9, kimber 1911 .22, an SA .22 revolver), as well as my own g21. At the end of the class I stuck around and got to fire one of the instructors high end 1911. I shot the best with that, but I'm still glad I got my g21. THey gave me a voucher for 30% off of the basic NRA course which was cool as well.

Their range was kind of ghetto, but considering it's been a range since the early 1900's, I thought that was pretty cool. Besides, it's a gun range, does it really need to be pretty? I guess its one of those things. When I played in a band, I always loved those venue's that were total shit holes.