Bishop

OK, ButtStock replacement on an M&P 15 Sport

I've been looking around and have found a 100 different answers.

Confusion on how short I can go, (shorter the better .. T-Rex arms), Commercial VS Mil Spec, its specially made so you can't shorten it without replacing the whole enchelada.

Anyone have the defacto lowdown on this.

I liike the Magpuls:

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Magpul-ACS-Milspec-Stock-BLACK-p/mag370%20%20black.htm

As Well as this Mission first:

Now, does anyone know exactly what I need to replace, what I assume to have to do, the whole shebang leading to the lower.

From what I've read I need everything from tube, spriongs, etc.

Just want to shorten the whole backend, and is there a length limit to it all in NJ that I need to worry about.

Much thanks in advance.

Have seen setups that are intersting but am looking for some storage and versatility.

Any favorite setups you fellas have would love to hear about or see ... I'm low on experience on these. I do know I like shorter ... stocky boy, big chest but short arms, for me the closer the better.

If they have sling options, can't hurt I figure even though I'm set on my sling point at the end of the lower on a 2 point.

Much appreciated Krdshrk!

I like that stock, been eyeing it up, like most of Magpul's stuff. Solid.

Now is there a recommended buffer tube assembly that you or anyone would recommend and would fit a M&P 15 sport?

I'm still not sure on Commercial or Mil Spec, I've read both :(

I can probably drill tap and pin it myself, but when I bought the carbine, I was told it had to be modded by a liscensed gunsmith???

If so, that's OK, gotta do what I have to do.

Just want to get all the parts ahead of time and ready.

Anyone match an M&P 15 Sport with a Magpul STR and a particular buffer tube assembly?

While I'm perstering folks, the shite tapco wrench I bought was worth shite.

Had to mod it to fit the castle on the M&P, needless to say, it got some nicks .. no biggie .. wear and tear is part of the game.

But while I'm buying ... is there really one good one?

I've read a bunch, and the best ones seem to slide up the tube .... that's out for NJ legal if I need to change :(

You'll need a mil spec buffer tube. If you're going to run it shorter than what you have now, why don't you drill out the pin and reuse the existing buffer tube? I recently picked up an STR and pinned it myself but ended up getting a new buffer tube in case I decide to sell I later.

B1210BB9-1874-428C-A413-B4180915E7D8-22317-00001979D289E483.jpg

You'll need a mil spec buffer tube. If you're going to run it shorter than what you have now, why don't you drill out the pin and reuse the existing buffer tube? I recently picked up an STR and pinned it myself but ended up getting a new buffer tube in case I decide to sell I later.

One of the things that has me mixed up.

I read that the spring and all needs to be replaced, as they made it impossible to shorten with it for "safety" sake!

I'm scratching my head on that ... what the spring is so big I can't redrill?

And if so, I can't snip the spring to X amount?

Or is the tube so long that is it...?

New to this so don't get it.

Most I've read says you need a complete kit and the tube is not the "real" tube and spring for a M&P 15 Sport.

Thus the confusion.

The sport has the same mil spec buffer tube as any other AR-15. The tube length and size does not change regardless of the position of the stock. Perhaps you're confusing things ith the S&W 15-22 where it doesn't have a spring at all? Doubt it... Read about it on ar15.com or at the S&W forums...

http://www.google.com/search?q=m%26p+15+sport+buffer+tube&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari

Also, when you pin the stock, you're not driving the pin into the tube itself so the spring does not get interrupted.

Your M&P Sport receiver extension (buffer tube) more than likely is a full length post-ban version. You will need to replace it with a shorter CAR extension. There are two available; mil-spec and commercial. Get the one that matches the new stock you plan on buying. The difference is the diameter of the receiver extension. You also probably already have the CAR buffer and spring. They will work with the new setup. BTW, you do not need to worry about a minimum length, as there is no way to get any AR rifle below the minimum 26" length.

I'm assuming since its new and bought in NJ, I'm in the post ban longer buffer tube category.

So I'm gonna need to replace it with a shorter CAR extension, and I can't simply tap it out and redrill the old one correct?

Assuming I go with a Magpul STR, all I would need is something like:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=27440/Product/CAR-15-M4-RECEIVER-EXTENSION-TUBE

Remove old tube and hardware, replace with new CAR extension tube while still using the extisting original buffer and spring from the longer tube.

Slide on the Magpul STR, drill it out at desired position and pin it with a roll pin.

Does that sound about right?

Sorry again for all the questions ... newb on this.

So, after all the figuring problems with pinning an STR (called magpul on that, they said its a PITA and not easy as they now pin the compartments in place so you have to cut/remove them then put back) and other adjustable stocks, just decided to go with a short ACE 7.25" fixed stock with a GG&G sling attachment at the lower for my HK clipped sling.

Will be at about the first setting on an adjustable in length.

I didn't get it for long range shooting anyway, CQB.

Waiting for parts.

Next up will be something like an AR-10 for long range. Down the road.

I hate these NJ BS rules that have no rhyme or reason.

Should go from the longer to the shorter:

post-5377-0-83894300-1348708928_thumb.jpg

M&P 15 Sport

UTG Quad

LaRue rail covers

Cheapo offset light holder

JetBeam BC25

Magpul RSA Sling attachment

Magpul Foregrip

Magpul PMAG 15 rnd 20 body magazine

Vortex Sparc Scope

Hogue Rubber Grip

Ace 7" Entry Stock Kit with 1" pad and Ace Clip sling mount

Much, much more comfortable for me than the pinned stock.

2 point sling VTAC is a dream with this

The Ace kit was from Model1Sales.

No, the shorter ARFX-E and got a 1" pad replacing the one that came with the kit.

Everything else is there,

Careful on what wrench you get.

That Tempco (?) does not work on the M&P 15

Had to grind it, file it, sand it and it still killed and scratched everything.

The Nut is also notched so adds to the dificulty.

Find a good wrench that will work, or, if your not worried about the original buffer & nut, screwdriver, pipewrench, whatever it takes to tap it out.

Also a heads up.

I went with the Ace Clip sling mount as I couldn't find a better option.

GG&G plate does not work with this stock.

I might explore the Magpul http://store.magpul....oduct/MAG504/51 MSA attachment and see if I can screw it to the stock without a backing plate.

If the Ace Clip holds, don't see why not, though the Ace uses a thinnut to snug down the whole assembly so you can pick the dirrection.

If you go with the &" Entry, an option if too short is http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/stock-forend-parts/buffer-tube-parts/buffer-tube-hardware/ar-15-buttstock-extender-ar-15-stock-extension-sku231-000-009-5559-12961.aspx .

For me, the stock + 1" Pad is perfect.

So at minimum I would need the ACE ARFX-E and locate the correct wrench. Yes, I’d like to save the old parts even if they don’t go back on.

Looking at yours you do have the extension in place, so I just the question is with your new configuration with the ACE ARFX-E and extension is that about the same as the factory stock length or does your upgrade give you a little more length? For me a little longer (no jokes) would be good, shorter no good. Thanks again!

No extension, just an extra 1/2 with the 1" pad.

Shirt arm length in the 32 range and thick chest, let alone if I have a vest on, so for me the size is perfect.

With the Entry Stock, if you decide to go with it, you know you can get 9" if you go extension and 1" pad.

Next step up is the ARFX. Same as an A2.

ARFX I believe is 9.9".

EDIT: So ARFX-E, no extension and 1/2" pad is 7.5."

1" pad 8"

Pad and extension 9".

The edit is more realistic in numbers rechecking.

What is cool you can transition this thing from Entry to Skeleton from 7.5" - 11.5" depending what you add.

So with the right pieces, its like a collapsible as long as you know your preferred length.

Check this out:

Tail_of-two_Aces.jpg

Add a 1" pad to the lower stock and you'll get to the boottom screw of the top one.

Roughly 8.5"

ships in 2 ~ 3 days... since I have a personal account with UPS I received several emails titled "Hurricane Sandy Causing Delays Along Eastern Seaboard" so may not see it for a while,assuming they ship via UPS. That should be our biggest worry... Anyway I ordered a wrench off eBay like this one made by Tapco, do you think that one will do it?

Bishop,

the Post Office delivers... I couldn't wait for the wrench, took you idea and went with the pipe wrench... leaving the foam off for now so I could decide if I want extension or not.... Thanks for your help

Looking good :)

Glad I could help.

You like the fit and feel?

The 1" pad is good for that little extra, very cushy also.

That Entry length snaps right up to the shoulder for me, whole diffrent animal than the NJ stock.

Yes I do, the factory stock was a little clunky but like you said this is NJ. I may even leave the foam off, I seen the Ace stocks before on the Saiga(s) w/o the foam and always wanted to get one for my Saiga but never got around to it, may have to do it now....I probably will go with the extension and thicker pad, hopefully I could get them from the same vendor to save on S&H