RecessedFilter

$200-250 scope? Suggestions?

I know there was a thread on here some weeks ago about scopes but mine relates specifically to scopes in the $200-250 price range, as well as specifically Leupold's, Redfield (made by Leupold), and any other manufacturers that make decent scopes in this price range.

For reference, it's going to be mounted on a 91/30 until I can find a very rare original all matching Mosin sniper which are a needle in a haystack.

I have read lots of reviews on lower end Leuopolds and most seem good. Redfield's 'Revolution' series are also talked about highly, and the price of them is right in my budget. I'm leaning towards one of the Redfield.

Does anyone own any of these or own a scope in this range that they are happy with? I'm looking at decent magnification, probably 3x9x40 although I am debating a 3x9x50 but I hear you have to get taller rings to mount the 50mm as it needs a little bit more room to clear the receiver. I know this price range is rather low in terms of nice scopes, but I would like something made by a decent manufacturer.

I think Sightron and Vortex are the best bargains out there these days.

http://www.amazon.com/Sightron-3-9x42mm-Black-SII-Riflescope/dp/B000MLZ6CE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1348523989&sr=8-1&keywords=sightron+sii Great scope in your price range.

If you look around, you can sometimes find a Vortex Viper 3-9x40 in the $250 range. Vortex has a killer warranty. Even if you drop your gun or accidentally run it over and smash the scope, they will replace it... for life.

I have both and would give the edge to the Viper. FWIW, they are both mounted on rimfires, so recoil isn't an issue.

I have no personal experience w. the Redfields, but having been reading some pretty good stuff about them.

I haven't heard of Sightron but I have heard of Vortex. I see they are the same company that makes the Sparc and Strikefire red dots. I haven't given them much thought but apparently they make some pricey scopes (nice ones $1k +). I believe Leupold and Redfield both offer lifetime warrantys as well as Vortex.

In terms of set-up, I will probably have a local gunsmith drill and tap the receiver. The only other option I have seen is a scout mount that replaces the rear iron sight...it's not a bad option but I don't really like a magnified scope sitting that far forward.

CameraLandNY has Vortex Vipers at good prices. I have 2-7x Vortex Viper on my AR for $199. Lifetime Warranty. Great deal.

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/vortex.pl?page=vortexviper2-7x32

Natchez had some Nitrex scopes on closeout, which are same as higher end Weaver glass. Good bargains.

http://www.natchezss.com/category.cfm?category=405#q%3Dnitrex%26npp%3D15%26cats%3D1Optics%26catl%3D2%26p%3D1

I haven't heard of Sightron but I have heard of Vortex. I see they are the same company that makes the Sparc and Strikefire red dots. I haven't given them much thought but apparently they make some pricey scopes (nice ones $1k +). I believe Leupold and Redfield both offer lifetime warrantys as well as Vortex.

In terms of set-up, I will probably have a local gunsmith drill and tap the receiver. The only other option I have seen is a scout mount that replaces the rear iron sight...it's not a bad option but I don't really like a magnified scope sitting that far forward.

If you're going to mount the scope on the receiver you're also going to have to get the bolt handle turned down. I've got the scout set-up and its not bad at all, just need better optics.

Yeah, thanks for the heads up.

I'm debating the set up because I have a guy off Gunbroker that can do the bolt for 40 bucks and my local gunsmith can drill and mount the scope for about 80 bucks. So that's gotta be say $150 total in just mounting it.

Or I can go the scout mount route and get the mount for I think 50 bucks or whatever and then put the money I'm saving into a nicer scope with LER.

Decisions decisions...