Jmac92

Long Range Rifle Shooting

In reply to the locked post:

Cumberland Riflemen in Millville (Cumberland county) is the only 600yd range available to civilians in the state.

You need to be a member or the guest of a member to use the facility.

We shoot monthly matches there on weekends through October, then pick it up again in the spring.

So Jersey Shooting Club in Winslow (lower Camden county) has a 300yd range.

Same guest rules as Cumberland

It's my regular club, so I'm there lots more than monthly..

Contact me if you're interested in coming down to either one.

Don't forget, for 600yds you for damn sure need pits.

No way to see your holes from the line.

So you've got the huge expense of a protected pit structure plus using the range becomes a 2-man operation (shooter and scorer)

South Jersey would like to add a 600 or 1000yd range to their place.

I'll believe it when I see construction begin.

So you've got the huge expense of a protected pit structure plus using the range becomes a 2-man operation (shooter and scorer)

South Jersey would like to add a 600 or 1000yd range to their place.

I'll believe it when I see construction begin.

This is 100% true. Recently a friend and member of cumberland invited me down there to shoot the 600 yard range. I have a nice Savage in 6.5 creedmoor, but have never shot ay further than HALF that distance before. It was humbling at the very least and equally frustrating since i couldn't see any holes through the rifle scope or spotting scope. I pretty much wasted 50 rounds that day trying to dial it in and attempt to shoot anything resembling a group. I had calculated some rough holdovers but the percentage of error at that distance is pretty high and with no way to verify until you drive down to the target its fairly futile. Then when you make a correction, you pretty much have to go through all this again hoping it got you where you wanted (And not over or under compensated). It would have been nice to be able to start at say 400, then progress beyond but at that range its 600 or nothing which is very annoying. Totally sucks the fun out of shooting!

So you've got the huge expense of a protected pit structure plus using the range becomes a 2-man operation (shooter and scorer)..............

What about cameras located downrange, linked to monitors at the line? Cameras good enough to tell you where you hit are pretty cheap these days. You only need to partially bury them, in a 3-sided mini-pillbox, instead of a huge pit-type structure large enough to house humans. It may even be substantially cheaper then having to dig/build a "pit" safe enough for people. Sure, the occasional camera may be sacrificed to a stray .50BMG, but they are cheap enough to replace. You could do something where members get one free camera/pillbox replacement per year, after that, you shoot it, you buy it.

If they really wanted to get fancy, link all the camera feeds to big screen "spectator" monitors too. It would be great for competitions.

Jon,

Not sure why your member friend was not in the pits while you were on the line to score your shots.

Cell phones (or texting) works at Cumberland for comms between the line and the pits.

If you had a 300yd zero, it's just a matter of elevation to get on paper at 600.

After all, the target board is 6 feet square and your 6.5 Creedmoor is a pretty flat shooter (as are all 6.5 cartridges)

Yes, at 600yds a small sighting error goes a long way.

During Saturday's 3x600 match, my brain's comm with my trigger finger faltered and I had a slightly off-center (2 o'clock) sight picture and was lucky to score a 7 on that shot!

At that distance, you can't hold over. You must adjust your sights so that a consistent proper sight picture gives you a center hit. Judging a holdover is a surefire recipe for failure.

There's one more 600yd prone shoot this season.

Saturday October 5, registration at 0800, first shot at 0900

http://www.cumberlandmatches.com/mrfclass.html

Questions? Post them here or IM me.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• olight.jpg

Use Promo Code "NJGF10" for 10% Off Regular Items

• Supporting Vendors

• Latest Topics

• Similar Content

• By Maksim
      Remember when you acquired your first firearm?
      For most gun owners, that time was both exciting and scary!  On one hand, you acquired your first handgun and had hopefully gone to the range.  At the same time, let's admit it, unless you were in the military,  you were at least a LITTLE bit afraid, either of scratching up that shiny new bluing, not being able to put it back together after cleaning, or even leaving it unattended.  After a while however,  you become accustomed to it and it becomes "yet another gun."
      Much in the same way,  I look at "going to the range."
      It is the near universal experience of gun ownership.  You purchase your gun and then you end up going to the range to shoot at least once or twice a week for the next 3 to 6 months.  Every trip is exciting as you become more and more proficient with the gun and discover your passions for different firearms.  At some point however you average day in the range goes from 4 or 5 boxes of ammo to a mere social event and 1 or 2 boxes of ammo becomes the norm.  Simply put, going to a typical range and standing in a port and shooting at a bullseye or a zombie target was no longer fun or appealing.  If you are at the range, it is typically to function check your gun, chrono your loads or just to make sure the gun works and remains rust free after that unfortunate boating accident.
      This is why I believe in and encourage community members of all experience levels and interests to go out and try some form of matches, whether it is steel matches or one of the practical shooting sports such as IDPA or USPSA.   Not only is it fun, but it is also a great way to take your shooting skills to the next level.
      But what if you can't do that?  
      I recently came across some targets made by REFactor Tactical.  The company is a veteran lead business catering to military and civilians, offering products and solutions for on and off the battlefield.
      One of their solutions is their line of shooting targets which I have come to call "Targets With a Purpose."
      There are 4 that I have come to really appreciate.
      The first target is your standard USPSA/IPSC Practice Target.  Generally I am a fan of using the thick cardboard targets for nice clean holes and the ability to paste them. This lets you use use the targets for quite a long time.  Unfortunately there are a few downsides.  First, a pack of 25 or so has some weight and they take up quite a bit of space to store.  Secondly, it is not so easy to use the cardboard targets at many indoor ranges.  The challenge is, with a cardboard target, you are attaching the head next to the carrier, so unless you want to risk destroying range equipment, a good portion of the target is unusable.
      The REFactor Tactical target is printed on paper with wide margins. As such, you can easily use them at an indoor range or outside with wider target stands. 
      When it comes to rifles, my favorite target is the Hitman Target.   The target comes complete with a grid overlay which is extremely helpful for sighting in a rifle with a new optic. 
      Once dialed in, the left side of the target has bullseye target grids ranging from 1" to 3" boxes. They are great to use for 1 MOA groups out to 300 yards.   
      The right side of the target features similar triangles and a bullseye target on the bottom. 
      Even though it is meant for rifles, this target is also great for handgun training at close ranges.
      The other two targets are meant for "gun work," or targets designed to work on the fundamentals of shooting.
      The IQ Target is a full sized target made up of a combination of shapes, colors, numbers and letters.  This allows the shooters or instructors to create a variety of shooting problems to solve.  IT could be simple as "on command,  draw and fire 2 rounds at the Square 2" or "on command, turn, then draw and fire 2 rounds at all of the green circles, reload and fire 2 rounds at all of the blue triangles."
      To make the IQ target even more effective, REFactor Tactical offers playing cards/shooting decks which contain various exercises ranging from static shooting to more difficult turn, draw, move and reload ones.  
      At a recent range day, I really enjoyed practicing with these targets and the cards.  What is quite eye opening for me was finding out that despite not having difficulties with accuracy, I had real issues shooting triangle shapes, typically shooting just below them.
      Perhaps to make it even more challenging, I practiced with a completely different handgun than I am used to shooting, a Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm versus my go to 1911s and CZ 75 SP01 Shadow Custom.  To make it even more interesting, I alternated the magazine between my regular match loads and Speer Gold Dots +P ammo.  (Or perhaps I just happened to leave my gun game guns at home and the M&P was the only handgun in the range bag with some ammo.)
      Finally, the other target that I believe would be of great interest and benefit to gun owners is the Essentials Shooting Target,  
      It is a full sized target of various sized squares and circles, along with a bulls eye.  It was designed around a 150 round drill which covers multiple aspects of pistol marksmanship including slow aimed fire, strong and weak hand shooting, target transitions, speed changes, drawing and reloading.  You can find the drills in their book, the "Essentials Shooting Guide"  or simply create your own drills.
      Bottom line, these were some of the best targets I have shot in the last 15 years.  Factoring in that you are supporting a veteran owned company who produces the targets in the United States at very reasonable prices,  there are no reasons why a few of these are not in your range bag for your next  trip.

• By Servo Group
      ****NEW YEARS SALE****
      Servo Group Tactical has their 2018 NJ course schedule up... Jan 1- Jan 5 15% off all Servo classes for 2018 training year.
      stay lethal...

www.servogrouptactical.net
    • By The Gun Society
      Guns, Friends, Food.
      It doesn't get better than that. Meet other NJGF members, make new friends, shoot your own guns, try out a couple, and then after join us for food. All rentals are FREE with admission fee.

Register online at www.thegunsociety.com

FULL DETAILS:

Over 60 people came for our very first #NJSocialShoot at RTSP in May. Our inaugural event was a success! 

Join us AGAIN for a casual get together and a chance to shoot some firearms with other like minded people in NJ. 

This time, we will have the entire range after hours for our event only, for 2 hours of shooting in a 25 or 16 yard indoor range. Event will begin promptly at 6pm. If this is your FIRST TIME WITH US, please arrive 30 minutes early to fill out waiver forms required for the range.

Location is about 45 min from NYC and Western PA, at RTSP Shooting Range in Randolph, NJ.

FEES:
      Pre-Registration ONLINE (http://rtsponline.com/new-jersey-social-shoot/): $15
      Day of Event: $20
      This fee will cover port time and firearm rentals, ammunition will be separate.

Join us after 8pm for food and conversation at a nearby restaurant, The Black River Barn, less than a half mile away.

See you there!    

• By bushmaster
      Can someone tell me if Heritage Guild in Easton PA allow you to shoot steel case ammo such as Wolf for your AR or AK?? I know RTSP does not allow it. Why I don't know other then they don't feel like separating the brass from the steel.

Thanks,

Bob
    • I've watched a lot of "Mighty Ships" series on TV, as well as cruise ship series. It seems prevalent for large ships to have GPS tracking, and possibly guidance. So the path of this ship should be on record somewhere. And one critical fact would be whether or not as the ship approached the bridge it followed the correct path in the harbor channel. The conspiracy aspect would ask was  one of the electronic guidance/navigation systems hacked to put it on a collision course? I'm not anxious to find a terrorist attack. But if you'd asked me on September 10, 2001 what were the odds of four hijacked aircraft being successfully flown by amateurs into three iconic American structures... I will say there's not a doubt in my mind there are nasty people that crossed the border to cause trouble. I just can't be certain how, and how much.
    • It's been reported now that there were two harbor pilots on board and 21 crewmen. The article mentions that there were no cars on the bridge when it collapsed.   Actually, divers found two people trapped in their car.  They were recovered Tuesday afternoon.