RecessedFilter

Shotgun Shootout! October 13th - Clinton, NJ WMA

We have decided to create an event that gets us shotgun lovers out for a day at the range to blast some shells, break some clays, and destroy some paper targets! We'll head over to the shotgun range and put our skills to clays, and then break off to the rifle range where we can tear up targets with buck and slugs.

This is an open event for forum members, as well as their wives/husbands and friends(?).

Where:

WMA hunting range in Clinton, NJ

When:

October 13th (rain date TBA?)

Time:

9am at the Clay range

Please try and bring everything you can in terms of a gun, ammo, and clays.

A rough-draft check list of what to bring:

- Gun(s)

- Ammo (birdshot smaller than #6 for clays, buckshot/slugs for rifle range)

- Clays

- Thrower if you have one

- Earplugs/Muffs

- Shooting Glasses

- Shell pouch

- Water/Drinks

- Lunch/snacks

- Layer up and bring a warm jacket/gloves/hat depending on weather

If you need a couple boxes of ammo or some clays, I will bring extra but not enough for a bunch of people. So please try to bring your own ammo and clays. If you need to borrow a shotgun and are comfortable with a 12ga, then I can let you borrow one of mine.

I have met a lot of fellow forum members, and shot with quite a few as well, but this is an open event so we may have some who have never shot with us or are new to shooting. As long as you're safe and out to have fun, then that's great. Be smart, be safe, come have a good time, and we will have a great day!

Please read these general rules for this event:

- Safety is a priority, followed by having a good time. Safety is a priority.

- This range does not have range officers, so we as a group will be supervising. That means if you do not follow the 5 rules of gun safety or are just acting unsafe in general, we will gladly ask you to leave.

- It's sometimes easy to break the rules of gun safety or muzzle-swipe someone accidentally when in a large group like this where everyone is having a good time and BSing and whatnot, always be cognizant of gun safety.

- Remember, safety is a priority.

I will edit this accordingly as we figure out more details below. Please post up with any questions, suggestions, or update on if you will be attending and I will add your name to the list.

Attendees:

1. RecessedFilter

2. Lowslowmiata

3. Holeshot

4. BlueLineFish

5. RedRiverII

6. Bry@n

7. Deadelus

8. Alpo

9. Socom16

10. XxLaloCuraxx

11. xm8k36d + 1

12. Vtevpoache

13. RayRay

14. RobertJames

Miata, no worries man. We will have shooters with a couple years experience to many years experience. I will gladly be willing to help you, as well as anyone else out.

The type of shooting we will be doing is just informal clay shooting. We will have a few throwers set up and a couple shooters at the shooting line.

Any clays work. Regular sized clays (I have no idea on diameter) work best because they are universal and work well in all clay throwers, versus the mini's/rabbits which only work in some throwers. Most people buy the Remington brand of clays from Dick's Sporting Goods, or the classic 'White Flyer' brand available at Cabela's and many local gun shops.

In terms of shell loads, I would suggest #7.5 or #8 in a 2-3/4inch shell. I just get whatever is cheapest lol.

Can't guarantee I can make it but have an idea. Those who dint have clay throwers and clays bring some goodies to eat. We probably can't bbq but sodas and snacks couldn't hurt. Or we can just brown bag it. Just an idea.

Good idea. What would really be fun is a BBQ at my place after shooting. But that is up in the air right now so we will see.

For now, plan on bringing a lunch and some snacks.

I can definately come but i still cant shoot due to a back surgery but i have a sit down thrower and i am volunteering to throw clays for you guys if you want. Also if there are some people who would like to shoot but dont have a shotgun i have 1-12g and 2-20g guns. If you want to shoot them just bring some ammo.

Fishnut, that would be great but please watch yourself. Manual throwers still take some strength and if you don't feel up to it or anything, don't feel obligated at all! With that said, if you do want to come out and volunteer, if you will, it's all up to you!

Right now we definitely have 2 throwers, mine and Holeshots, and if Fishnut joins us then it will be 3 throwers. I think that's good for a smaller group size, but if it gets large then we may need one more. Although in all honesty, 2 throwers will do the job for a good amount of shooters.

I will try and buy a couple extra boxes of clays to bring with me just in case.

Ill bring bagels instead of claysBtw is this road paved? I might run into car issues and have to bring my dads truck

Bring some extras and we can see if we can make them into swiss cheese! Lol.

The road is paved but it's pretty rough. When you pull into the clay range driveway from the WMA main road, there is a dip that you have to swing wide on or else you will bottom out if you have a low car. I learned the hard way haha.

Put me down as a definite maybe! Never shot clays at all. All I have area couple of home defense short barrel shotties, one 12 and one 20. Should I even bother bringing them?

Please try and come out, you'll enjoy it! It's tons of fun.

Surprisingly, I've seen people shoot clays with an 18'' HD barrel so I don't see why not. If you don't feel like bringing them, we will have a rather large arsenal of shotguns to choose from that I am sure everyone will be willing to share. I will have quite a few and you're glad to use mine!

Also, we need to figure out a time for this.

The range opens at sunrise but I think 9:30am would be good. What does everyone think?

That's early enough to beat some of the crowd that goes there and I can get there early and secure a rather large spot for us. And if people are coming from different parts of the state (30, 60, 90mins away), IMO 8am-ish is not that bad to leave the house if you pack all your stuff up the night before.

Sounds good to me. So my family owns a garden center and I can probably donate some pumpkins to blast if that would be allowed there

As long as you clean up your 'mess', I am pretty sure it would be ok as long as it doesn't involve glass or plastic or anything. Biodegradeable, hell yeah! Please feel free to bring as many as you can! We can do our own ballistic tests with slugs :lol:

Recessed, i am good to go with the thrower i was out there last sat morning throwing clays for my buddy and his girl so i know its ok. so i will definately be there and i will bring my thrower and shotguns

Well that's great! That's also a good sign your back is healing well...sounds good!

Can you put me down as a maybe. I have just a 12 gauge shotgun.

Also Sports Authority has 135 clay bird's for 14.99 .

Come out if you can, it'll be lots of fun!

Darn, I would like to go to this. I just got my shotgun and wanted to try shooting clay. As of yet, the shotgun has still been unfired but I'm hoping to change this as soon as I can find some range time. This is the same day as my wife's birthday so I'm not going to bother asking for a hall pass.

Have fun guys. Sounds like you are going to have a blast!

Sounds great. Count me in. I'll bring my 20 Ga, a hand thrower and a couple of boxes of birdshot

You're on the list!

Darn, I would like to go to this. I just got my shotgun and wanted to try shooting clay. As of yet, the shotgun has still been unfired but I'm hoping to change this as soon as I can find some range time. This is the same day as my wife's birthday so I'm not going to bother asking for a hall pass.

Have fun guys. Sounds like you are going to have a blast!

With all joking aside, I would at least ASK your wife if she would be interested in coming out with us. I mean it doesn't hurt. This could be a great way to spend her birthday...I mean we always end up doing the same damn things for our birthdays and this may give you two a chance to do something different! Seriously!

I'll come, I'll bring some clays, and shells and I have a few (6) benellis lol if anyone needs a shotgun!

Oooo yay, I've fired a lot of shotty's but never a Benelli. Looking forward to this!

Matter a fact I believe it was you admiring my cordoba at the lehigh valley shoot?

I wouldn't be surprised! I love handling other peoples guns, especially if it's something I haven't seen before. I can't say I remember the actual gun but I'm sure it was coo if I was admiring it. Nothing a google search can't help me with haha.