RecessedFilter

Shotgun Shootout! October 13th - Clinton, NJ WMA

Andres - do you have a headcount? This could get real interesting if there are any weekend regulars there!

Headcount is up in the air as of now lol. There are quite a few maybes but I am thinking probably 10-12, yet with people bringing a friend or whatever, then maybe closer to 15.

I will be there early and will claim a spot at the end of the range. There we will have a lot more space to spread out and won't be super close to the unsafe nuts I have seen shooting there. You do NOT want to be anywhere near them!

As stated above, no centerfire allowed at the rifle range. Only .22, .17(?), muzzleloader and shotgun as far as I know. Please don't bring anything that is NOT allowed on the range. I will be one of the few (possibly the only one?) with a hunting license and am not letting anyone jeopardize me being able to continue having it.

As far as targets, I have seen litterings of computers and such, but don't know the actual rule on that. I am more than sure biodegrable is ok, in which feel free to bring pumpkins or whatever.

I don't think the BBQ will happen, so I am thinking we may just head over to the Clinton Station Diner after as we will all be hungry I'm sure. If anyone has a different suggestion on eating, please feel free!

And a Saiga!? Too many nice toys! :-)

Would like to get a close up look at the KSG.

Have to work but maybe if I get out early................

Looks like you folks are going to have a blast! (no pun intended)

One note if you have not been there before. The shotgun area has plenty of parking up the hill from it.

The black powder area is a completely separate enterance and parking is very limited, you might want to car pool from the shotgun area.

Also as a heads up, down the road about a mile is a Pilot Service center, so you can get food,rest rooms etc. fairly close by.

Hope to see you there.

Bob

Is there enough signs that could guide us to the shot-gun parking space? Or could anyone provide any exact latitude-longitude of it? When going to places of large size, I always find latitude-longitude helpful.

Besides, could RecessedFilter give us a recommended time of arrival?

Only .22, .17(?), muzzleloader and shotgun as far as I know. Please don't bring anything that is NOT allowed on the range. I will be one of the few (possibly the only one?) with a hunting license and am not letting anyone jeopardize me being able to continue having it.

I have my hunting license also - I'm going to be there around 8:45. To second what RF said, the WMAs are one of the few (or only) firearm-related things Jersey does right, so it's on all of us to be safe. Full summary of the rules here, but in general:

• No handguns of any caliber
  • No center fire rifles (only muzzle-loaders, .22 and .17 on the rifle range)
  • Buck and slugs at the rifle range
  • Birdshot at the shotgun range

All that said, I haven't shot clays in eight months so I'm very, very excited - thanks for organizing this.

From 78 Eastbound

Exit 13 - Hwy 173 - continue straight past Louise's Diner (I kid you not!). You are parallel to 78 and headed west.

Watch for the brown wooden signs for the Shotgun practice area on the right. probably less than 3/4 mile

If you get to the Pilot truck stop you went too far. Turn around and try again.

I'm going to try to post a Mapquest iamge but don't really know how to do it.

http://mapq.st/VWuNNN

EDIT: The link worked! The large brownish area north of 173 and west of Ruppel Rd.

Daedelus - I'd bring whatever you have. You're better off with #7.5 or #8 but #7 will be fine.

I never use longitude/latitude but here is the exact address:

New Jersey Fish Game/Wildlifemore infotransparent.png

26 New Jersey 173

Hampton, NJ 08827

I'm not sure what else you need to get there. Just follow the road back and you will see a sign that says 'shotgun sporting clays range'. If you end up at the Ranger office at the end, you've gone too far.

As far as time, I planned this event for 9am, but it seems like a few of us will be there before then. So if you're an earlybird, you can come out a little before then.

Also, please make sure you bring some warm clothes or at least layer. Saturday's weather looks sunny but it is going to be chilly. Approximately mid-50's during the warmer part of the day and low 40's in the morning and night. So please plan accordingly.

Daedelus - I'd bring whatever you have. You're better off with #7.5 or #8 but #7 will be fine.

OK - I will bring that and I also picked up a case of birds today that will come along for the ride.

Hey guys - there is no coffee or anything there so PLAN AHEAD! There is a Dunkin Donuts in the Exxon station at exit 13 and also a BagelSmith at exit 13 on the south side of 78. As RF said - plan on being chilly in the morning - especially if the breeze is blowing.

I attempted to paint some clays tonight...but did not go so well. The 'white' spray paint I bought ended up drying a gross white-yellow color (I'm guessing since the clays were originally orange?). I wanted to paint them a color that would blend into the sky to make it more of a challenge. We will see how it goes...

I think black is harder to hit then orange at lehigh valley sporting clays the blacks always give me a challenge idk whyP.S. bringing a benelli pump and semi for people to try out. Ammo and clays! Might bring the M4 depends if I want to shoot in the pits

Just to clarify, exit 13 is only from the West Bound Side. (Which should not be an issue for most of you) It is just after you pass the Clinton Station DInner (with one of the biggest hamburgers!) I dare you! :-)

Exit 12 (from the west bound side) is just a little past the Wildlife center and has the most amenities. Almost directly across from the entrance is a Pilot Center with the best gas prices of the three at that exit. It also has big bathrooms and HUGH cups of coffee and a Subway Station which has breakfast sandwiches.

If you turn left and go through the Traffic Light, the Exxon Station has a Dunkin Donnut Nook in it and a bathroom of sorts.

If you turn left and left at the light, just across the highway is a Bagel Smith with some of the best sausage, egg and cheese sanwiches as well as fresh bagels, and good coffee.

Exit 12 (from the east bound lane) brings up to a light with the Bagel Smith catty-corner on the other side. Turn Left at the light and you will end up with the Exxon on your left and the Pilot on your right. Turn right to get to the Wildlife Center. The entrance is just a little past the USA Rental Center and is marked with a wooden sign. The first road is the center and the shotgun range is all the way in the back and just before you turn to go up the hill to the offices. The second entrace off of 173 is the Blackpowder range.

Hope this helps!

Bob

+40° 38' 26.11", -74° 57' 20.06"

That's the longitude and latitude I found out on google map. But I couldn't figure out which way is the parking lot. Anyways, I'll definitely be able to get there with GPS, it may just take a few more minutes to park, no big deal... Thanks everyone!

I'll be late, not being able to get up that early before a 1.5 hour drive. Will try to get something cooked for everyone if time permits.

Things I remembered to bring while thinking of this event, and will probably forget. Camera and stand. Handi wipes. Eyeglass cleaners. Spotting scope and stand. Gloves. Portable seat.

Things I never forget, guns and ammo, lunch.

Things I should be sent home for, if I forget them, guns and ammo, lunch.

Things I hope to experience tommorow. A respectful, safety conscious, considerate, accomodating, and fun loving group of Freedom loving Americans exercising our 2nd Amedment rights. Permission to break one clay with a hammer if I don't hit any with my shotgun. Getting to put faces to all of the board names I read here. Leaving the place cleaner than we found it. I expect Recessed Filter to be the Sherrif, and any other license holders to be the deputies, I consider myself a guest of theirs and will act accordingly. To the uninitiated, I mean Range Master when I say sheriff.

Things I am willing to do. I will volunteer to do the worst, ugliest jobs that need to be done to ensure our good time. I will be the go-fer to run to the store for whatever. A tear drop may appear in my eye, but I will share my lunch. I will ask myself to leave if I do something stupid. It happens.

Lastly, we are all Ambassadors of the 2nd Amendment. You already know what to do. See you tommorow.

Is this the place?

ee830ab14b48d19510746d1977a3ac08.jpg

Is this the place?

ee830ab14b48d19510746d1977a3ac08.jpg

Bingo!

You can drive down to the staging area and drop off your stuff. If there is still parking there great! If not, then you can drive up the hill and park. There is only one road so it is preety straight forward.

I will be bringing a Citori and a Cynergy, plus ammoe and some clays if I bring the cage. If I ride, it'll just be the Citori and ammoe. I could also be persuaded to bring some rifles and shotguns that I am selling, as long as we are discreet about it. Like the post above said, this is one of the few perks we have here, don't want to lose it.

I think black is harder to hit then orange at lehigh valley sporting clays the blacks always give me a challenge idk whyP.S. bringing a benelli pump and semi for people to try out. Ammo and clays! Might bring the M4 depends if I want to shoot in the pits

I think it all depends on what the background behind the clay is, if it's darker than black is more difficult while lighter background makes it harder to hit orange...but hey who knows! Sometimes I find it easier to hit an "orange" stage while someone else lights it up.

Thanks for bringing the Benelli's. I, along with what seems like many others, haven't seen those up close before so that will be good.

Going to be late. Wifey has dr appt. Cant leave until she gets back...gotta watch the baby.

Maybe the baby isn't old enough to shoot, but that doesn't mean she/he will enjoy watching us!

I will be bringing a Citori and a Cynergy, plus ammoe and some clays if I bring the cage. If I ride, it'll just be the Citori and ammoe. I could also be persuaded to bring some rifles and shotguns that I am selling, as long as we are discreet about it. Like the post above said, this is one of the few perks we have here, don't want to lose it.

Feel free to bring any for sale items. More discreet the better, but we're at the range and it's comfortable there...not some random Walmart haha.

Things I never forget, guns and ammo, lunch.

Things I should be sent home for, if I forget them, guns and ammo, lunch.

Things I hope to experience tommorow. A respectful, safety conscious, considerate, accomodating, and fun loving group of Freedom loving Americans exercising our 2nd Amedment rights. Permission to break one clay with a hammer if I don't hit any with my shotgun. Getting to put faces to all of the board names I read here. Leaving the place cleaner than we found it. I expect Recessed Filter to be the Sherrif, and any other license holders to be the deputies, I consider myself a guest of theirs and will act accordingly. To the uninitiated, I mean Range Master when I say sheriff.

The good thing is if you forget anything, you will be able to borrow them.

Screw the clay and hammer thing, just set the thing up a couple feet down range and blast the thing to powder! I doubt you'll miss it.

Safety, fun, and clean-up are the 3 main things that will be running through everyones heads.

I was wondering, for those of us that have to work on Saturday.......Is anyone going on Sunday monring? If they are open?

You may be able to round up some people. They are open 7 days a week, sunrise to sunset I believe. I have to go to a family BBQ sunday but I MAY be over there in the morning. My gf is working saturday and won't be able to join us so I am gonna see if she wants to shoot for a little on sunday.

*****UPDATE, PLEASE READ*****

If anyone hasn't read through the thread for some odd reason, the details are:

Clinton, NJ WMA
(Address - 26 Route 173, Hampton, NJ 08827 - drive down rough winding road and you will get to a hard right turn, turn left and that is the clay range)
9am or later meet-time at the clay range
We will shoot clays for a few hours, then head over to the berm-range for slug/buckshot/.22/muzzleloader/.17 fun.

Items to remember:
Guns
Ammo
Clay thrower
Target stands/targets/stapler/staples for rifle range
Shooting glasses if you have them
Earplugs/Muffs
Shell pouch
Warm clothes/jacket/hat/gloves
Snacks/drinks/lunch
Chair/foldable chair would be a great idea
Sanitary wipes or something of the sort
Gun oil/cleaner/cleaning rod/maintenance tools

That list is something I quickly made up, if you want to add anything feel free to post up, but you get the main idea.

By a chance you get lost via the 20 posts including GPS coordinates and pictures, I dunno what to tell you! It's very easy.

Borrowing - If you need to borrow something, please ask me or anyone else. Most of us will have extra earplugs/clays/whatever you need or an extra gun for you to borrow. It seems like most of us are willing to let someone borrow/try out something but if someone would rather not have you shoot one of their guns or something of the sort, please respect that.

Safety - I will take duty serving as Range Officer but I want everyone watching for any unsafe behavior and such. If you see anything, please let me know and we will go from there. With that said, please be safety conscious of others but of yourself as well. Please make sure you know and understand the 5 main fundamental shooting rules and always practice them:

Keep the gun pointed in a safe direction
Keep your finger off the trigger until your ready to shoot
Treat a gun as if it was loaded
Know what's behind your target
(For this range), keep all guns unloaded until your ready to shoot

New shooters - Even if you're a new shooter, that is no problem. We will have quite a few people there and I myself will be glad to help you out as I have been shooting clays for a few years, and I'm sure with everyones experience there we will have you blasting clays in no time.

I am really looking forward to this! We're gonna have a great time!

Please feel free to contact me.